Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Poll: How many "coffee/cigarette" breaks a day do you usually take?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
Oct 13, 2010

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "How many "coffee/cigarette" breaks a day do you usually take?".

This poll was originally submitted by Alain Mouchel. View the poll results »

Mary Worby
Mary Worby  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 02:22
German to English
+ ...
I don't stop for coffee! Oct 13, 2010

I have one cup of coffee a day before I start work, I don't smoke.

I get up to stretch my legs every so often though.

Evans (X)
Evans (X)
Spanish to English
+ ...
coffee and cigarettes, those were the days... Oct 13, 2010

Like Mary, I start my day with a coffee, and I don't smoke. I keep myself sane and rest my mind by walking my dog a few times a day.

Anne Carnot
Anne Carnot  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 03:22
Member (2009)
English to French
tea breaks 2-3 a day Oct 13, 2010

I would'nt survive without my daily take of tea

Gianluca Marras
Gianluca Marras  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
don't know. Oct 13, 2010

basically, I don't have coffee during the day, but I have some cigarettes.
Breaks? only when I finish a translation or a long section of a translation.

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Other Oct 13, 2010

I occasionally stop working to rest my eyes and back etc. I use these times to do chores around the house and garden such as weeding, or clean up and recycle chicken poo, brush snails off the veg (especially the aubergines, which they seem to enjoy as a sort of edible housing facility), wash clothes, do cleaning and tidying up in general and/or cooking, or go on brief shopping sorties.

If do occasionally decide to have tea or coffee, I usually drink them at my work station, unless
... See more
I occasionally stop working to rest my eyes and back etc. I use these times to do chores around the house and garden such as weeding, or clean up and recycle chicken poo, brush snails off the veg (especially the aubergines, which they seem to enjoy as a sort of edible housing facility), wash clothes, do cleaning and tidying up in general and/or cooking, or go on brief shopping sorties.

If do occasionally decide to have tea or coffee, I usually drink them at my work station, unless any food is involved, in which case I stop so as not to get crumbs around my work area.

I rarely smoke nowadays, although I usually have one after dinner in the evenings before settling down for the night...
Collapse

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
2/3 coffees a day, Oct 13, 2010

and I don' t smoke!

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
Why stop work just because you're thirsty? Oct 13, 2010

I drink tea or coffee at the computer - if you're researching or checking your work you don't have to miss a beat, though you do have to stop typing to take a sip.

I'm fortunate enough never to have started smoking so no fag breaks either (that's British English, by the way, so no funny comments please).

Like neilmac, I find there are 101 things to occupy my time when I need a break from the computer - som
... See more
I drink tea or coffee at the computer - if you're researching or checking your work you don't have to miss a beat, though you do have to stop typing to take a sip.

I'm fortunate enough never to have started smoking so no fag breaks either (that's British English, by the way, so no funny comments please).

Like neilmac, I find there are 101 things to occupy my time when I need a break from the computer - sometimes one of those things is making the tea or coffee if my (non-working)angel of a husband doesn't do it first.
Collapse

Catherine Winzer
Catherine Winzer  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
+ ...
Kettle breaks Oct 13, 2010

My breaks generally consist in getting up to put the kettle on and make a cup of tea (or occasionally coffee). But I usually drink it while working at the computer, so it's only a short break. It also serves to stretch my legs and give my eyes a break for five minutes.

Laura Bissio CT
Laura Bissio CT  Identity Verified
Uruguay
Local time: 22:22
English to Spanish
+ ...
same here... 3 or 4 Oct 13, 2010

Catherine Knight wrote:

My breaks generally consist in getting up to put the kettle on and make a cup of tea (or occasionally coffee). But I usually drink it while working at the computer, so it's only a short break. It also serves to stretch my legs and give my eyes a break for five minutes.

Catherine, let me borrow your term "kettle break"!
I wish you all a nice day!

Laura

Noni Gilbert Riley
Noni Gilbert Riley
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
I never take breaks Oct 13, 2010

And, having heard those sharp intakes of breath, I should add that this is because I am constantly being interrupted!

Murad AWAD
Murad AWAD  Identity Verified
Germany
English to Arabic
+ ...

Work,drink and eat. Oct 13, 2010

Hi,

I'm working and eating and drinking in the same time.

No seperate time for drinking or eating.

Murad

Valeria Lagos Gordon Downie
Valeria Lagos Gordon Downie
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
None for coffee or smoke - plenty to take kids to school, pick them up... Oct 13, 2010

...take them back after lunch, pick them up again. Catalonia (and other parts of Spain too) have the stupidest school timetable ever (9-13,30 ; 15,30-17 unless you don´t want to do all this to see your kids and leave them for lunch, in which case it`s 9-17). But, unlike other parts, there is no choice. So I am left with no time for any other breaks.

[Edited at 2010-10-14 03:57 GMT]

Cristina Heraud-van Tol
Cristina Heraud-van Tol  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 20:22
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
No coffee/cigarette breaks Oct 13, 2010

I don't smoke. And with regard to coffee:

With Peru being one of the countries with the least coffee consumption in the world (0.2 kilos per person per year), you can imagine I drink very little: only one cup with a small spoon of coffee, sugar and lots of milk for breakfast.

My Dutch husband, on the other hand (Holland being one of the countries with the most coffee consumption in the world - 8.4 kilos per person per year), drinks a lot: 4-5 cups of black coffee, no su
... See more
I don't smoke. And with regard to coffee:

With Peru being one of the countries with the least coffee consumption in the world (0.2 kilos per person per year), you can imagine I drink very little: only one cup with a small spoon of coffee, sugar and lots of milk for breakfast.

My Dutch husband, on the other hand (Holland being one of the countries with the most coffee consumption in the world - 8.4 kilos per person per year), drinks a lot: 4-5 cups of black coffee, no sugar, along the day.
Collapse

Naoko Orito
Naoko Orito  Identity Verified
Italy
Italian to Japanese
+ ...
2 or 3 times of break Oct 13, 2010

I don't take a cup of coffee for my breaks. I don't smoke.
Instead, I take English tea and infusions.
I need breaks with these hot drinks to have my mind refreshed.

However, I sometimes take a cup of coffee after lunch.
I NEED IT!... not to be sleepy

Stretching is helpful!
I agree with Mary and Catherine!
I stretch not only legs, but also neck, arms and hands.
And also
... See more
I don't take a cup of coffee for my breaks. I don't smoke.
Instead, I take English tea and infusions.
I need breaks with these hot drinks to have my mind refreshed.

However, I sometimes take a cup of coffee after lunch.
I NEED IT!... not to be sleepy

Stretching is helpful!
I agree with Mary and Catherine!
I stretch not only legs, but also neck, arms and hands.
And also give my eyes some massages...
Collapse

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: How many "coffee/cigarette" breaks a day do you usually take?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »