Poll: Did you receive help/mentoring when you first started as a freelancer?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff

ProZ.com Staff
Local time: 19:28
SITE STAFF
Oct 16, 2010

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "Did you receive help/mentoring when you first started as a freelancer?".

This poll was originally submitted by Irène Guinez. View the poll results »

xxxInterlangue
Angola
Local time: 04:28
English to French
+ ...
Yes Oct 16, 2010

I would rather call it support and trust, though.

Sam21
Qatar
Local time: 05:28
Arabic to English
+ ...
No Oct 16, 2010

A rephrasing of the question may be necessary: Have you ever received help throughout your freelance career?

I could hardly remember any. Forms of assistance came indirectly and unintentionally in informal exchanges with colleagues.

Two of a trade never agree ... perhaps never help too.

[Edited at 2010-10-16 18:06 GMT]

Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
No, but... Oct 16, 2010

I'm learning as I go.

And then there is a colleague who has answered my questions as they arose.
So that is help.icon_smile.gif

xxxmediamatrix
Local time: 22:28
Spanish to English
+ ...
No Oct 16, 2010

I got no help from anyone when I started freelancing – and didn’t want/need any either, since I already had around 25 years’ experience of translation / editing / publishing and related activities under my belt, gained in-house in a well-known international organization.

It wasn’t much different when I first joined that organization as a translator, back in 1978, having previously qualified and worked in engineering. The only help I got on my first day in Brussels was being shown to my new office and presented with a freshly-sharpened pencil and a notepad to write down the translations of the documents that were already overflowing from the in-tray.

Self-reliance and the ability to think laterally lead to survival - and success - on both occasions.

MediaMatrix

Amy Duncan  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 23:28
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Never received any myself, but... Oct 16, 2010

...I have mentored several colleagues in recent years.

Gianluca Marras  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2008)
English to Italian
yes Oct 16, 2010

My ex girlfriend introduced me to my first client, and, as she worked for the same company(as in-house translator), she was my proofreader, and taught all the things I needed to know. Now we have separate lives, and every now and then I receive some translations she does and I am the proofreader. I still can learn something, I have to admit, and anyway, without her help at the beginning, I wouldn't have started working as a freelance translator.

Marlene Blanshay  Identity Verified
Canada
Member (2009)
French to English
+ ...
none Oct 16, 2010

I did have a friend of my sister who sent me some clients and names early on, but that's about it. I started on my own, gathered my own clients, made all my own contacts, etc. I had been a freelance journalist before, but I admit I'm more successful now! I am proud to say I did this all on my own, starting from ground zero, with no help from anyone! I am woman hear me roar!

Caryl Swift  Identity Verified
Poland
Polish to English
+ ...
Other Oct 16, 2010

Help, support, advice, you name it, they gave it. They know who they are. And it's ongoing. I just hope the people to whom I continue to be deeply indebted feel that it's a bit more mutual now than it was at the start...

LegalTransform  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2002)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Mentor Program Oct 16, 2010

No help for me. If fact, in 1994, one of the articles I wrote for the ATA Chronicle was about the need for the creation of an ATA mentoring program. Scroll down to Newcomers' Column:

http://www.atanet.org/chronicle/index1994.htm

I also wrote a review that was published in the Chronicle in '94 or '95 (which I cannot find) about one of the first electronic dictionaries.

Guess I was just ahead of my time.

[Edited at 2010-10-16 16:25 GMT]

Stephanie Mitchel  Identity Verified
United States
French to English
Thankfully, yes. Oct 16, 2010

Some clients I already knew through various avenues took a special interest in me and gave me a "push" right after I got my MA. It was very good experience and I'm still grateful for it.

Muriel Vasconcellos  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 19:28
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Had already been a staff translator Oct 16, 2010

During my career as a staff translator I received wonderful mentoring from senior colleagues - I owe it all to them.

But once I became a free lance, I was on my own!

Rebecca Garber  Identity Verified
Member (2005)
German to English
+ ...
Yes Oct 18, 2010

Although it was more help than direct mentoring.

I was referred to agencies through friends.
I was helped through the invoicing process by an accountant.
I met a few times and emailed often with another local translator. We didn't end up collaborating, but that's more because he works in automotive and I can tell a sedan from a truck, but not much more than that.

I got a lot of informal help at ProZ, both directly from KudoZ and indirectly by reading what others had written.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Did you receive help/mentoring when you first started as a freelancer?

Advanced search

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search