Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Poll: What percentage of your income comes from clients in your home country?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
Oct 24, 2010

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "What percentage of your income comes from clients in your home country?".

View the poll results »

Ventnai
Ventnai  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 05:10
German to English
+ ...
Home country Oct 24, 2010

Or is 'country of residence' meant? I have never worked with anybody in my home country and mainly work with third countries, not my country of residence.

Noni Gilbert Riley
Noni Gilbert Riley
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Home country interpretation again Oct 24, 2010

Like Ian, I wonder whether you are actually referring to country of residence.

I was also interested to see that I immediately answered as if Spain were my "own" country, whereas in fact I was brought up in the UK and I have held two nationalities, also different. But it is clear that Spain has become my Home.

mustafaer
mustafaer  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 06:10
Member (2005)
Everywhere is home with the Internet Oct 24, 2010

I travel a lot and do my translation work everywhere I go.

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Less than 5% Oct 24, 2010

But basically I agree with Noni, Ian and Mustafa. Nowadays when I go back to Scotland at Xmas the family ends up asking me "when are you going back home" meaning Spain... and I also work wherever I happen to be, even on holiday.

Last year I did one job for a London-based client, and had to accept payment by Paypal otherwise the commisions on payment by transfer/cheque would have meant having to raise my rates to offset it. I've recently done a few jobs for a former client who now w
... See more
But basically I agree with Noni, Ian and Mustafa. Nowadays when I go back to Scotland at Xmas the family ends up asking me "when are you going back home" meaning Spain... and I also work wherever I happen to be, even on holiday.

Last year I did one job for a London-based client, and had to accept payment by Paypal otherwise the commisions on payment by transfer/cheque would have meant having to raise my rates to offset it. I've recently done a few jobs for a former client who now works for a multinational based in London and the same applies.

The problem with this is the taxation labyrinth... for example, this year I've done some work for a company based in France and although we are all in the EU now, in order to issue bills legally including IVA and income tax, the effort and expense involved also becomes off-putting.

Working with US based firms is a big problem too... I don't understand why billing a client over there should involve such swingeing commission rates, which basically preclude accepting the work at my usual rates. I think there's a an ongoing weeping, wailing and gnashing of teeth about it in the forums...
Collapse

Melanie Nassar
Melanie Nassar  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 06:10
German to English
+ ...
>20% or <20%? Oct 24, 2010

I indicated the >20% option assuming that it should have been

Michael Harris
Michael Harris  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2006)
German to English
Home country Oct 24, 2010

is what I would interpret as being my country of residence and I have about 70 % here but I am seeing a tendence that I am getting more European (also Swiss) cutomers.
Another funny thing si that I aee Across orders are increasing from my European customers as well and as for orders from the US, I dont accept anything from over there as the risks / costs for the payments are too high.

Paul Dixon
Paul Dixon  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 00:10
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Home Country issue Oct 24, 2010

Just to clarify, I took "home country" as meaning "country of residence". Otherwise I would have used "birth country" or something along those lines.

PAUL

Interlangue (X)
Interlangue (X)
Angola
English to French
+ ...
Other - variable Oct 24, 2010

I have a few transatlantic direct customers but their needs vary a lot: I worked a lot (95%) for one of them from January through June this year but it had been 2 years or so.
I also work a lot for a world organisation (mainly for an Asian branch) but that comes through an agency based in the country where I was born and reside most of the time.

Marlene Blanshay
Marlene Blanshay  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 23:10
Member (2009)
French to English
+ ...
about half Oct 24, 2010

because of the language pair, a lot of my clients are local or within the province, about half. However, my editing jobs come from just about everywhere. I've gotten a lot more international clients within about the last year or so, mostly for english editing jobs.

Anne Bohy
Anne Bohy  Identity Verified
France
English to French
The results are not displayed correctly Oct 24, 2010

The "<20%" category is displayed as ">20%" which makes the whole thing even less understandable.
I would have preferred a question like "how much of your income comes from clients outside the country where you are entitled to work?" (regardless of the place where you are currently).
Although I agree that we should pay taxes where we reside mostly, I do think that the kind of work visa that Immigration requires to let us stay in a given country does not make much sense, due to
... See more
The "<20%" category is displayed as ">20%" which makes the whole thing even less understandable.
I would have preferred a question like "how much of your income comes from clients outside the country where you are entitled to work?" (regardless of the place where you are currently).
Although I agree that we should pay taxes where we reside mostly, I do think that the kind of work visa that Immigration requires to let us stay in a given country does not make much sense, due to the nature of our work...

[Edited at 2010-10-24 11:36 GMT]
Collapse

Manuela Junghans
Manuela Junghans  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2004)
English to German
+ ...
more or less than 20% Oct 24, 2010

I guess the option more than 20% does in fact mean less than 20%? Or is it just me who doesn´t understand it?

Well, in any case, also interpreting home country as my country of residence, business in the UK has certainly broken away (with the onset of the so-called crisis I guess) and now definitely amounts to less than 20% in my case. Whereas I had quite a lot of business in the UK, say about 5 years ago.

m_temmer
m_temmer  Identity Verified
Local time: 21:10
English to Dutch
+ ...
about 80% Oct 24, 2010

Just about 80% of my work comes from Belgian customers, Belgium being my country of residence. As I will be moving abroad in January, this is going to change.

Manuela Junghans
Manuela Junghans  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2004)
English to German
+ ...
@melanie and bohy Oct 24, 2010

Your posts weren´t visible to me at the time I posted mine, sorry..

RominaZ
RominaZ  Identity Verified
Argentina
English to Spanish
+ ...
< 20% option corrected Oct 24, 2010

Hi all,

Thanks for your heads yo. The option < 20% has been corrected.

Romina

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: What percentage of your income comes from clients in your home country?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »