Poll: Have you ever met your client(s) in person?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
Oct 26, 2010

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "Have you ever met your client(s) in person?".

View the poll results »

Jack Doughty
Jack Doughty  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 08:54
Russian to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Once, with adverse result Oct 26, 2010

See my post in a poll five years ago:
http://www.proz.com/forum/poll_discussion/35736-poll:_have_you_had_any_business_trips_as_part_of_your_translation_work_on_site_client_meetings_et.html#254568

Alexander Kondorsky
Alexander Kondorsky  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 10:54
English to Russian
+ ...
almost all of them Oct 26, 2010

I rarely work for intermediaries.

Michael Harris
Michael Harris  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 09:54
Member (2006)
German to English
Yes Oct 26, 2010

I always try to visit a certain number of clients each year, some of them every year. Have great professional relationships with them as well.

Interlangue (X)
Interlangue (X)
Angola
English to French
+ ...
Yes Oct 26, 2010

Most of them, not all but more than just a few!

I also pop round once every so often and notice that this type of more personal relationship is excellent marketing!

Aisha Maniar
Aisha Maniar  Identity Verified
Arabic to English
+ ...
More important with direct clients Oct 26, 2010

In my experience, it's almost always been positive and I think I've met all the direct clients I've worked with, with the exception of a few IGOs based abroad. I'm not so sure that it's necessary to meet agency clients - have met a few of those too & again it was mainly positive - but when working directly for a company/organisation, I have found that it is useful to know exactly what it is they do and expect. As mentioned by others, it does create a better working relationship (but I guess it's... See more
In my experience, it's almost always been positive and I think I've met all the direct clients I've worked with, with the exception of a few IGOs based abroad. I'm not so sure that it's necessary to meet agency clients - have met a few of those too & again it was mainly positive - but when working directly for a company/organisation, I have found that it is useful to know exactly what it is they do and expect. As mentioned by others, it does create a better working relationship (but I guess it's like that in general).
I suspect it's a question of geography too!
Best wishes, Aisha

* I have excluded natural individuals asking for personal translations (certificates/short personal & legal documents) from the above.
Collapse

Gianluca Marras
Gianluca Marras  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
most of them Oct 26, 2010

Almost all my clients in Italy. The others are in the US, or in Canada, so it is diffcult, but I will

Henry Hinds
Henry Hinds  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 01:54
English to Spanish
+ ...
In memoriam
Most of them Oct 26, 2010

Now why is that not a choice? I answered "all" as closest. Most of my clients I have met personally because they are in the same town; local, direct clients. It's great to do business like that.

Yaotl Altan
Yaotl Altan  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 01:54
Member (2006)
English to Spanish
+ ...
No Oct 26, 2010

But, generally speaking, they have been formal in the payment and that's the important point to me.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Have you ever met your client(s) in person?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »