Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >
Poll: Do you think freelance translators are mostly introverts?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
Local time: 09:33
SITE STAFF
Dec 7, 2010

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "Do you think freelance translators are mostly introverts?".

This poll was originally submitted by Irène Guinez. View the poll results »



Direct link Reply with quote
 

Dan Marasescu  Identity Verified
Romania
Local time: 18:33
Member (2003)
English to Romanian
+ ...
Interesting results Dec 7, 2010

I think a great majority of freelance translators are introverts, It's just that they don't accept this label easily because they think it's something negative. It's not!

Direct link Reply with quote
 

Susanna Martoni  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 18:33
Member (2009)
Spanish to Italian
+ ...
Not at all Dec 7, 2010

Absolutely not.

At least, this rule does not apply to the majority of translators.

[Modificato alle 2010-12-07 08:50 GMT]


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Teresa Borges
Portugal
Local time: 17:33
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
No Dec 7, 2010

I do not know about the majority, but I am quite sure that this label does not apply to me at all!

Direct link Reply with quote
 

svenfrade  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 18:33
French to German
+ ...
Don't know Dec 7, 2010

I simply don't know enough translators personally to be able to make any sort of judgment...

I for one certainly am an introvert, but I don't think that this is negative. A lot of people seem to disgaree, though, therefore I'm most happy about the fact that I don't have to pretend to be anything that I neither am nor aspire to be.


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Adnan Özdemir  Identity Verified
Turkey
Local time: 20:33
Member (2007)
German to Turkish
+ ...
Mostly yes! Dec 7, 2010

I am not. But mostly introvert. This profession is generally introvertal (eşyanın tabiatı diyebilirim). Most of the translators cannot communicating via telephone! Only online mess. and mailing!

imho
...

İstanbul'dan selamlar
Saludos desde estambul

Athletic gorri ta zuria aurrera!


[Edited at 2010-12-07 09:24 GMT]


Direct link Reply with quote
 
xxxInterlangue
Angola
Local time: 18:33
English to French
+ ...
Not sure Dec 7, 2010

... about "majority".
Go to any translators conference (ProZ or other): you won't find many introverts there! But maybe the introverts do not attend them either!


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Laura Ibáñez  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 18:33
Member (2010)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Not really Dec 7, 2010

Translators do face lots of meetings, chats, phone calls with people they've never seen in their lives. You can't really be an introvert and an entrepreneur professionally speaking...

Direct link Reply with quote
 
Steven F Smith
United Kingdom
Local time: 17:33
Member (2007)
Japanese to English
Not quite the right question Dec 7, 2010

As an introvert myself (on a scale of 1-30 introversion-extroversion I score about zero) I find freelance translation is just about the perfect career for me.

Introversion-extroversion shows a bell-curve distribution and I wouldn't be surprised to see a bias towards introversion if you asked translators where they placed themselves on the scale, and probably a bias towards extroversion among interpreters, but you'd have to ask them directly to get any useful results. Maybe I should make a poll...

[Edited at 2010-12-07 09:47 GMT]


Direct link Reply with quote
 

patriciacharnet  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 17:33
English to French
+ ...
not sure Dec 7, 2010

I've put not sure. Good poll. I've been wandering about this for a while.

I don't think I'm introvert. Like Laura, I think the nature of the job is not entirely for introverts.

I'm looking forward to the results of this poll.

Could it be another prejudice against translators?


Direct link Reply with quote
 

svenfrade  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 18:33
French to German
+ ...
Why? Dec 7, 2010

Laura Ibáñez wrote:

Translators do face lots of meetings, chats, phone calls with people they've never seen in their lives. You can't really be an introvert and an entrepreneur professionally speaking...


I'm a translator, not an interpreter, so I don't "do" meetings etc. I have run my one-woman show quite successfully for three years now without the need for telephone conversations. That does not say anything about the quality of my translations, though, and I must be doing something right since I have quite a few loyal clients.

Anyway, I need to see a text on my screen in order to decide whether I can do a job or not - anything else can be done by e-mail. I prefer to have everything down in writing anyway, just in case...


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Teresa Borges
Portugal
Local time: 17:33
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Good point! Dec 7, 2010

Interlangue wrote:

... about "majority".
Go to any translators conference (ProZ or other): you won't find many introverts there! But maybe the introverts do not attend them either!


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Laura Ibáñez  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 18:33
Member (2010)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Not really Dec 7, 2010

inkweaver wrote:

Laura Ibáñez wrote:

Translators do face lots of meetings, chats, phone calls with people they've never seen in their lives. You can't really be an introvert and an entrepreneur professionally speaking...


I'm a translator, not an interpreter, so I don't "do" meetings etc. I have run my one-woman show quite successfully for three years now without the need for telephone conversations. That does not say anything about the quality of my translations, though, and I must be doing something right since I have quite a few loyal clients.

Anyway, I need to see a text on my screen in order to decide whether I can do a job or not - anything else can be done by e-mail. I prefer to have everything down in writing anyway, just in case...



In my oppinion, though, a quick call sorts out lots of faffing about over issues. Do you really never meet clients? I have met quite a lot of them personally. I keep track of my e-mails and contracts as well, for sure.


Direct link Reply with quote
 
Rebekka Groß  Identity Verified
Local time: 17:33
English to German
I was going to refer to conferences, too :) Dec 7, 2010

Interlangue wrote:

... about "majority".
Go to any translators conference (ProZ or other): you won't find many introverts there! But maybe the introverts do not attend them either!


And that's probably a pretty good assessment


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Parrot  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 18:33
Member (2002)
Spanish to English
+ ...
No Dec 7, 2010

Maybe given to introspection, yes. (It takes some kind of isolation to properly process words - cabin interpreters know this). But even mulling over ideas requires some form of sounding board, if only on platforms like KudoZ. As for "interaction" with dictionaries...

Maybe "introvert" is not exactly the right word.


Direct link Reply with quote
 
Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >


To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Do you think freelance translators are mostly introverts?

Advanced search






SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »



Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search