Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Poll: How do you handle meals when you are extremely busy and have no time to cook?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
wonita (X)
wonita (X)
China
Local time: 06:20
I must cook, Dec 11, 2010

because my kids have their lunch at home. I can ignore my own health, but not that of my children. They are the future of this world...

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Local time: 12:20
Spanish to English
+ ...
Other Dec 11, 2010

As I usually live and work alone, eating does not necessarily always involve cooking. In Spain, a "bocadillo de jamon" is seen as an acceptable meal, and when I do cook something I tend to keep some aside already prepared which can be heated up quickly as needed. For example, "patatas al pobre" (basically slow fried garlic potatoes, which can be tarted up with pepper, bacon etc a votre guise), which I had last night, took about 3 minutes to heat up and almost as long to snaffle. The Spanish nati... See more
As I usually live and work alone, eating does not necessarily always involve cooking. In Spain, a "bocadillo de jamon" is seen as an acceptable meal, and when I do cook something I tend to keep some aside already prepared which can be heated up quickly as needed. For example, "patatas al pobre" (basically slow fried garlic potatoes, which can be tarted up with pepper, bacon etc a votre guise), which I had last night, took about 3 minutes to heat up and almost as long to snaffle. The Spanish national dish "tortilla de patata", once mastered, can be eaten cold or hot, and popular tapas standbys like "ensaladilla rusa" are always helpful.

I suppose feeding a family while working as a translator must be quite another story...
Collapse

Theo Bernards (X)
Theo Bernards (X)  Identity Verified
France
English to Dutch
+ ...
I voted other... Dec 11, 2010

because most options barring pre-preparing meals and freezing them usually leads to snack attacks in the evening - very tasty but not very healthy. Taking an assignment that leaves me no time to eat is a no-go area for me, a balanced diet of food, snack and exercise is more important than the extra assignment. Three meals a day at set intervals is very important, especially when trying to lose weight (at the moment minus 22 kilogr... See more
because most options barring pre-preparing meals and freezing them usually leads to snack attacks in the evening - very tasty but not very healthy. Taking an assignment that leaves me no time to eat is a no-go area for me, a balanced diet of food, snack and exercise is more important than the extra assignment. Three meals a day at set intervals is very important, especially when trying to lose weight (at the moment minus 22 kilograms, my friends have taken to calling me 'Slim Jim' ) so I make time for meals, busy or not. Besides, the earlier mentioned vegetable soup can indeed be made for a few days and supplemented with a sandwich it is a very good meal that doesn't take that much time to prepare.Collapse

Marlene Blanshay
Marlene Blanshay  Identity Verified
Canada
Member (2009)
French to English
+ ...
I make sure my fridge is stocked Dec 11, 2010

or have soups etc stored in the freezer. However, sometimes I will get takeout or delivery (usually chinese or thai).
I used Lean Cuisine as the generic term for 'frozen dinner' but I never eat them. They aren't really very good.
However, there are some frozen dinners made by Commensal, a local vegetarian eatery chain, and they are quite good. They also make a good variety of frozen vegetarian pizzas...as well as vegetarian shepherds pie, pasta with nonmeat sauce.
Usually i tr
... See more
or have soups etc stored in the freezer. However, sometimes I will get takeout or delivery (usually chinese or thai).
I used Lean Cuisine as the generic term for 'frozen dinner' but I never eat them. They aren't really very good.
However, there are some frozen dinners made by Commensal, a local vegetarian eatery chain, and they are quite good. They also make a good variety of frozen vegetarian pizzas...as well as vegetarian shepherds pie, pasta with nonmeat sauce.
Usually i try to eat my own food. I don't like to eat junk, vegetarian pizza is about as bad as it gets for me. However, those turkish pizzas sound great!!!
Collapse

Rebecca Garber
Rebecca Garber  Identity Verified
Member (2005)
German to English
+ ...
weekly planning Dec 11, 2010

We plan menus for the week, always including some things that will make leftovers, and some things that take very little time.
Cooking is very relaxing for me, so it is one of my breaks from work.
Eating together is also important to us. We talk or play games or cards.
Also, both my husband and daughter can cook, so often there is help available.

For the past week, someone else has been doing the cooking (I have been helping my father care for my mother who ha
... See more
We plan menus for the week, always including some things that will make leftovers, and some things that take very little time.
Cooking is very relaxing for me, so it is one of my breaks from work.
Eating together is also important to us. We talk or play games or cards.
Also, both my husband and daughter can cook, so often there is help available.

For the past week, someone else has been doing the cooking (I have been helping my father care for my mother who has terminal cancer). It's an odd experience. It has been nice, because caring for my mother has been emotionally exhausting, but I miss cooking.
Collapse

Anita du Plessis
Anita du Plessis  Identity Verified
South Africa
Member (2008)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Someone else... Dec 11, 2010

I replied someone else, as my husband is a very good cook.. I am so privileged that he actually enjoys cooking, and I think has better cullinary skills than I do.

In summer we eat a lot of fruit, and I usually make salads that can keep for 2-3 days in the fridge. So, Hubby will do the meat and we usually have a good balanced meal.

If I am really busy, he will deliver my meal at the computer, and that helps a great deal.

Once the rush is over, I sometimes wo
... See more
I replied someone else, as my husband is a very good cook.. I am so privileged that he actually enjoys cooking, and I think has better cullinary skills than I do.

In summer we eat a lot of fruit, and I usually make salads that can keep for 2-3 days in the fridge. So, Hubby will do the meat and we usually have a good balanced meal.

If I am really busy, he will deliver my meal at the computer, and that helps a great deal.

Once the rush is over, I sometimes would have a monthly "cooking day" in which I try to prepare a few dishes for the freezer, like "Bobotie" (a meat curry dish that is very popular with us) or Chicken a la King or Bean soup.
Collapse

Steven Capsuto
Steven Capsuto  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2004)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Food and cooking aren't synonymous Dec 12, 2010

I eat very healthily and almost never cook, regardless of whether I'm swamped with work. Salads, cheese, fresh fruit and vegetables, tuna, turkey sandwiches, low-sugar cereals, oatmeal, healthy snacks (carrots with humus, etc.), the occasional microwaved frozen dinner, and so on.

Henry Hinds
Henry Hinds  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 04:20
English to Spanish
+ ...
In memoriam
Wife Dec 12, 2010

I am not a cook but my wife is, so she prepares the meals. I am a good provider and she knows I must eat well.

Muriel Vasconcellos
Muriel Vasconcellos  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 03:20
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Delicatessen Dec 12, 2010

I live alone. I have a deli within walking distance, and I pick up concoctions from them that stretch out for 2 or 3 meals. Also home-made soups. They've been selling enormous pre-cooked turkey breasts for US$5.00, which last at least a week. In the end it's cheaper, because I don't waste any ingredients. And of course it saves a ton of time. I only eat 1 "square" meal a day.

I lost my hand at cooking after my husband died - and that was a long time ago. Never had the incentive to g
... See more
I live alone. I have a deli within walking distance, and I pick up concoctions from them that stretch out for 2 or 3 meals. Also home-made soups. They've been selling enormous pre-cooked turkey breasts for US$5.00, which last at least a week. In the end it's cheaper, because I don't waste any ingredients. And of course it saves a ton of time. I only eat 1 "square" meal a day.

I lost my hand at cooking after my husband died - and that was a long time ago. Never had the incentive to get back to it.
Collapse

Francisco Pavez (X)
Francisco Pavez (X)  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 03:20
English to Spanish
+ ...
God food and good candy Dec 12, 2010

Vibeke Degn-P wrote:

Food is too important to be ignored. I cannot work without proper meals. If my work takes time away from my normal eating regime, I have planned my work poorly.

Fully agree. Although, as long as I can remember I have always craved hard candy whilst working and always have a bowl full of candy on my desk.

Sophie Dzhygir
Sophie Dzhygir  Identity Verified
France
German to French
+ ...
Other Dec 13, 2010

No time to cook is something that doesn't happen to me very often. But when it happens, I will mostly ask my husband to prepare something (he's not a [i]very[/b] good cook, but an acceptable one and when I am so busy that I can't cook myself, I am grateful and enjoy whatever he may cook!). And if ever we're both too busy or he's not there, I/we will eat somthing that is very quick to prepare (open a can and heat it or cook a stock with a cube and vermicelli) or that doesn't require any preparati... See more
No time to cook is something that doesn't happen to me very often. But when it happens, I will mostly ask my husband to prepare something (he's not a [i]very[/b] good cook, but an acceptable one and when I am so busy that I can't cook myself, I am grateful and enjoy whatever he may cook!). And if ever we're both too busy or he's not there, I/we will eat somthing that is very quick to prepare (open a can and heat it or cook a stock with a cube and vermicelli) or that doesn't require any preparation, like raw tomatoes, fruits, etc.Collapse

Nikki Graham
Nikki Graham  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 11:20
Spanish to English
I agree with Sheila and Catherine Dec 14, 2010

That's what husbands are for...

Actually, poor hubby does most of the cooking most of the time regardless. Perhaps I should mend my ways, but I usually need to get back to work when he arrives home after spending some hours on after-school childcare.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: How do you handle meals when you are extremely busy and have no time to cook?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »