Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Poll: How many times do you go on vacation each year?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
Tatty
Tatty  Identity Verified
Local time: 10:00
Spanish to English
+ ...
I definately take my holidays Dec 24, 2010

Once you start, you can really get into it. I take the whole of August off and all other public holidays. Being my own boss, why would I make myself work when everyone else is off? If I end up working over a weekend I make sure that I make the next weekend a long one. Otherwise, we translators end up working like slaves, and we only have ourselves to blame. This is also part of the reason why rates are so low in some parts of the world. We should be able to make a decent to reasonably good livin... See more
Once you start, you can really get into it. I take the whole of August off and all other public holidays. Being my own boss, why would I make myself work when everyone else is off? If I end up working over a weekend I make sure that I make the next weekend a long one. Otherwise, we translators end up working like slaves, and we only have ourselves to blame. This is also part of the reason why rates are so low in some parts of the world. We should be able to make a decent to reasonably good living working normal working hours and taking all our holidays.

I hope noone is working on Christmas day.

Enjoy yourselves.
Collapse

Paul Dixon
Paul Dixon  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 05:00
Portuguese to English
+ ...
What's a vacation? Dec 24, 2010

In Brazil, where more than three quarters of your salary goes to the Government (more than one hundred taxes) it is impossible to take a vacation. A day travelling is less food in the fridge. So at most I take a couple of days travelling to a city nearby.

Last year I did make a trip with my wife but made a point of working while I was there.

Cecilia Civetta
Cecilia Civetta  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2003)
Italian to Spanish
+ ...
for David Dec 24, 2010

David Wright wrote:

alongside zero, one, two or more than two - or do some people take one and a half holdiays?

Perhaps there are people who skip their holidays one year, the following year they go on holidays twice, then three times, then just once... In that case the answer could be "other / it depends", couldn't it?

Sophie Dzhygir
Sophie Dzhygir  Identity Verified
France
German to French
+ ...
Other Dec 24, 2010

David Wright wrote:

How can there be "other"
That's what I chose. Because it depends. I went on vacation once in 2007, twice in 2008, twice in 2009 and once this year. I'm only taking true vacation into account (over one week), not weekends or long weekends.

Elena Novski
Elena Novski
Canada
Local time: 04:00
Russian to English
+ ...
Seriously, Dec 24, 2010

I am not sure I can afford that, as a freelancer who wants to be tapped to a highly competitive, in my language pair, business. Three or four days several times a year seem quite sufficient so far.

My most sincere Season's Greetings to everyone, more energy, more opportunities and more interesting projects in the forthcoming year and ever!

Alexey Ivanov
Alexey Ivanov  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 11:00
English to Russian
None Dec 24, 2010

But forced vacations naturally happen, like now between Dec 21 and Jan 3 next year during which period there are no orders and you can safely vacation for 2 weeks without the clients being any wiser. I sometimes take long weekends from Thursday until Monday during the year. But that's seldom. If you want to be on the list of preferred suppliers for big clients you have to be available preferably throughout the year and preferably available at least for comments/reply to offers during the working... See more
But forced vacations naturally happen, like now between Dec 21 and Jan 3 next year during which period there are no orders and you can safely vacation for 2 weeks without the clients being any wiser. I sometimes take long weekends from Thursday until Monday during the year. But that's seldom. If you want to be on the list of preferred suppliers for big clients you have to be available preferably throughout the year and preferably available at least for comments/reply to offers during the working hours every single day. That's tough, but that's how it is.Collapse

Miroslav Jeftic
Miroslav Jeftic  Identity Verified
Member (2009)
English to Serbian
+ ...
/ Dec 24, 2010

Paul Dixon wrote:

In Brazil, where more than three quarters of your salary goes to the Government (more than one hundred taxes) it is impossible to take a vacation. A day travelling is less food in the fridge.

Same here unfortunately.

m_temmer
m_temmer  Identity Verified
Local time: 02:00
English to Dutch
+ ...
rates should be a priority Dec 25, 2010

Susanna Martoni wrote:

Some translators could be alone, with babies to grow up and no help.
No holidays, no spare time, difficult life.
And rates and money are not priorities.
At least, not in the translation world.
For example.

Self-employed translators are business people and should make rates and money one of their priorities (there are of course other priorities too). If a hard-working translator is not able to take time off because otherwise he or she wouldn't make enough money to live on, then something is seriously wrong, IMHO. It's sad for the translator involved and the cheap labour puts pressure on the rates on the wider translation market, which could lead to more translators being forced to lower their rates and struggle to make a decent living. It's the lack of common business sense among freelance translators that makes things so difficult these days. And the agressive working methods of translations agencies aren't helping either, of course.

Oliver Lawrence
Oliver Lawrence  Identity Verified
Italy
Italian to English
+ ...
Three or four short breaks Dec 26, 2010

Partly (since I live in my source language country) in order to return to my target language country to freshen up on current language materials, and also to revisit old haunts and catch up with old friends.

Michael Harris
Michael Harris  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2006)
German to English
Holidays Dec 26, 2010

more than 2, but the good old laptop is always two steps away from me:-)

Adnan Özdemir
Adnan Özdemir  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 11:00
Member (2007)
German to Turkish
+ ...
Tambien nice :) Dec 26, 2010

Selamlar Michael

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: How many times do you go on vacation each year?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »