Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Poll: Are you currently studying a language which you do not use to work?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
Jan 2, 2011

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "Are you currently studying a language which you do not use to work?".

This poll was originally submitted by Paula Tizzano Fernández. View the poll results »

Patricia Charnet
Patricia Charnet
United Kingdom
Local time: 20:19
Member (2009)
English to French
Yes Jan 2, 2011

I'll add it later on when I can work with it

Muriel Vasconcellos
Muriel Vasconcellos  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 12:19
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
I find it too overwhelming Jan 2, 2011

I have my hands full with my business. I tried learning Japanese a few years ago, but I didn't have the time required to gain any real proficiency. While I don't regret the effort or the experience, it taught me that my business is too demanding to take on learning another language.

[Edited at 2011-01-02 09:51 GMT]

Adnan Özdemir
Adnan Özdemir  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 22:19
Member (2007)
German to Turkish
+ ...
Yes. Since 10-12 years Basque Jan 2, 2011

I learn Basque. Basque is to learn very hard language to Europeans but for Turkish speakers easy language i think.

Gora Athletic ! Bilbo ta Bizkaiko gaztiak gora !

Saludos desde Anatolia
Anadolu'dan selamlar

[Edited at 2011-01-02 18:25 GMT]

Allison Wright (X)
Allison Wright (X)  Identity Verified
Portugal
Yes - it is a wonderful process! Jan 2, 2011

patriciacharnet wrote:

I'll add it later on when I can work with it

Strangely, it is often the second language that pops into my thoughts after my mother tongue - perhaps because it is better integrated into my daily life than the languages I translate?

[Edited at 2011-01-02 22:36 GMT]

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Local time: 21:19
Spanish to English
+ ...
Other Jan 2, 2011

Not "studying" per se.
My friend/colleague is studying Spanish Philology and has to compare it with English and German grammar and syntax so I'm helping with that and brushing up my rusty command of the latter the same time. I'm also in the ongoing process of doing at the same with French and Russian, but mainly by trying to converse with native speakers, not actual "study"... which I'm afaid I shall never have time for due to workload.

[Edited at 2011-01-02 10:48 GMT]

Amandine Added
Amandine Added  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2010)
English to French
+ ...
Definitely Yes Jan 2, 2011

Yes I'm in the process of learning another language or more to the point reacquainting with Italian. I hope that within a couple of years or so I'll be able to translate again from Italian to French and hopefully I'll add another one after that....
So I do not know if i'll ever used those but it's always a pleasure to be able to understand a new language and it's fantastic for spirit.....

By the way, Happy new year to every one ! May 2011 be a successful year !

Thayenga
Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
Definitely Jan 2, 2011

Aside from "picking-up" words in various languages on a daily basis - this city provides most probably almost all languages - I'm presently learning - not necessarily studying - three languages.

At this point in time I will most probably not be including them as services, since there are only a few thousand people on earth who are speaking them. In fact, one of them - Cheyenne - is spoken by a little less than 6,000 people worldwide.

However, if the political strive of
... See more
Aside from "picking-up" words in various languages on a daily basis - this city provides most probably almost all languages - I'm presently learning - not necessarily studying - three languages.

At this point in time I will most probably not be including them as services, since there are only a few thousand people on earth who are speaking them. In fact, one of them - Cheyenne - is spoken by a little less than 6,000 people worldwide.

However, if the political strive of these peoples continues, there is a chance that they will gain their sovreignty and be recognized as independent nations. When this occures, then I will be adding their languages to my services.
Collapse

Veronica Lupascu
Veronica Lupascu  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Dutch to Romanian
+ ...
Yes Jan 2, 2011

I am studying Dutch alone. I didn't practice it lately, because of the workload, but I should try to use more of my free time for Dutch. I will move to Holland, so I have a strong reason to learn Dutch well. I intend to start translating from Dutch in few years.

Gelukkig Nieuwjaar!

Catherine Shepherd
Catherine Shepherd  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Spanish to English
+ ...
Yes Jan 2, 2011

I started learning Welsh in October and I hope to speak it more or less fluently sometime in the future!

Annie Estéphan
Annie Estéphan  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 15:19
Member (2010)
English to French
+ ...
Yes Jan 2, 2011

Yes I am studying Arabic, I already know how to speak it, its almost a mother tongue for me because my father is Lebanese and I speak it fluently, but I can't read it or write it. This is why I'm not translating from or to this language but I intend to do so in the future because I already know the language I just have to adapt myself and improve my reading skills which I am doing right now..maybe in a few more years I could translate from this language but never to it !

Sal
... See more
Yes I am studying Arabic, I already know how to speak it, its almost a mother tongue for me because my father is Lebanese and I speak it fluently, but I can't read it or write it. This is why I'm not translating from or to this language but I intend to do so in the future because I already know the language I just have to adapt myself and improve my reading skills which I am doing right now..maybe in a few more years I could translate from this language but never to it !

Saludos

[Modifié le 2011-01-02 17:03 GMT]
Collapse

Claire Deschamps-Prüller
Claire Deschamps-Prüller  Identity Verified
France
German to French
+ ...
yes, norsk Jan 2, 2011

we moved to Norway a few months ago and a language & cultural class was included in the expat' contract of my husband. It's funny to learn a new language, but difficult at the same time to combine it with work/kids/home etc etc...
and it's very similar to German, so we recognize the words and don't make the effort of trying to memorize them! :/

but it is a good exercise for the brain though!

Godt nytt år!

[Edited at 2011-01-02 18:17 GM
... See more
we moved to Norway a few months ago and a language & cultural class was included in the expat' contract of my husband. It's funny to learn a new language, but difficult at the same time to combine it with work/kids/home etc etc...
and it's very similar to German, so we recognize the words and don't make the effort of trying to memorize them! :/

but it is a good exercise for the brain though!

Godt nytt år!

[Edited at 2011-01-02 18:17 GMT]
Collapse

Andrea Riffo
Andrea Riffo  Identity Verified
Chile
Local time: 15:19
English to Spanish
+ ...
Yes Jan 2, 2011

Russian

Paul Adie (X)
Paul Adie (X)  Identity Verified
Germany
Spanish to English
+ ...
Of course! Jan 2, 2011

I love learning new languages, and hope to add many more to my profile in the future. I'm just back from a 5-month course of Lithuanian in Vilnius, and I would like to improve it further. I'd also like to learn Latvian, then Estonian. Lots to keep me busy!

Happy translating,

Paul.

Stanislaw Czech, MCIL CL
Stanislaw Czech, MCIL CL  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2006)
English to Polish
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Yes German Jan 2, 2011

Maybe in a few years time it will become my second working language but for the time being it's just fun

Cheers
Stanislaw

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Are you currently studying a language which you do not use to work?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »