Amy Duncan (X)
Amy Duncan (X)  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 07:43
Portuguese to English
+ ...
What? Jan 25, 2011

Francis Kastalski wrote:

I look forward to working as well, so much that I can hardly wait to get up in the morning. The only aspect I regret is the fact that I work with several small jobs which require fast turnaround, and that sometimes leads me crazy. It would not be like this if we had a broadband connection in my area, but it seems we are still living in the stone age

Francis

Francis, I live in Rio de Janeiro, too, and am amazed that you don't have broadband in Niterói! Don't NET and Velox operate there?

Anyway, I do enjoy my job, for the most part, and I'm grateful to have the freedom I do as a freelancer.

Susanna Martoni
Susanna Martoni  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 12:43
Member (2009)
Spanish to Italian
+ ...
Yes Jan 25, 2011

Absolutely

Gianluca Marras
Gianluca Marras  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
I would like to know... Jan 25, 2011

why those who voted NO are not happy

Luciana F (X)
Luciana F (X)
Argentina
English to Spanish
How can I gain experience if no one gives me a chance? Jan 25, 2011

I'm a brand-new translator and It's quite disappointing to be asked for 2, 3, 5 years of professional experience. Luckily,
martagarciavec wrote:

.... then I would truly love it. Being ignored for any jobs because of little experience shatters anyone's confidence. At least employers should consider a translation test for us newbies to show what we have to offer. I have a passion for translation but the circle "no experience, no job" gets to you sooner or later.
But I'm still positive

I'm a brand-new translator too and It's quite disappointing to be asked for 2, 3, 5 years of professional experience.
One fine way to gain experience is to work ad honorem. I’ve done it and I can say I learned a lot. There are some sites were you can register to be a volunteer translator:
http://www.tigweb.org/ (I’ve worked for them and they’re always in the search for volunteers),
http://www.onlinevolunteering.org (online volunteers for the UN), http://www.translationsforprogress.org (thanks to this site I’ve ended working for the Cochrane Group through the University of Liverpool, I learned a lot about clinical trials!)

As regards the poll topic...
Yes. I love how my brain works untiringly to solve difficult passages, ambiguities, puns, etc. and also the pleasure of accomplishing an accurate target text.

telefpro
telefpro
Local time: 16:13
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Extremamente happy Jan 25, 2011

I am very happy with my profession and want to share this joy with everyone and would like to be friends like in the Facebook. I wish we had something like Facebook on Proz.com

Yaotl Altan
Yaotl Altan  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 04:43
Member (2006)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Yes, until... Jan 25, 2011

Yes, until the creation of a translation machine...

Francis Kastalski
Francis Kastalski  Identity Verified
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Hi Amy! Jan 25, 2011

Amy, you are absolutely right! However, I am currently living near Nova Friburgo. Moved three years ago and since then I am enjoying its pleasant weather - and heavy storms.

Right here where we are, I still have to struggle with a slow dialup connection.

Best!

Marlene Blanshay
Marlene Blanshay  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 06:43
Member (2009)
French to English
+ ...
franchement happy! Jan 25, 2011

it's the best job I've ever had...ok i'm not getting rich, but my sister has this great job, great pay...but works for idiots and she's miserable!
I work at home, not having to commute, I deal with people who respect my skills, couldn't ask for better working conditions.

Textklick
Textklick  Identity Verified
Local time: 11:43
German to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Agree Jan 25, 2011

Gianluca Marras wrote:

why those who voted NO are not happy

I think that 60-odd percent is a pretty poor show.

Still - as ever - it depends upon how many bothered to respond and why they chose to do so.

Should the the 'Nos' be 'excommunicated' from ProZ? Is an unhappy translator a good one?

Blissfully yours,
Chris

Valeria Lagos Gordon Downie
Valeria Lagos Gordon Downie
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
maybe its the money Jan 26, 2011

I think maybe those who aren't happy would like to earn more, or to interact more with people. I have no idea, as I am another happy translator. For me, the biggest upside is no commuting time at all, and working the hours I choose (which for me is early in the morning).

Trinh Do
Trinh Do  Identity Verified
Australia
Member (2007)
English to Vietnamese
+ ...
Yes, definitely Jan 26, 2011

I'm with Michael Harris - love this job as I'm not good at job interviews (these require acting skills), no office politics which brings no benefits to the world. I am my own boss, my office can be my bedroom, dining room, study, anywhere. Besides, it was my childhood dream - to be a translator - and I can utilise all my studies and degress as well as using this as professional development and furthering my knowledge. So far, this has been worth more than a degree.

Artur Heinrich
Artur Heinrich  Identity Verified
Belgium
French to German
+ ...
May be you can call it "happiness"... Jan 26, 2011

If one gets spezialized in certain fields, becomes experienced and knows to sell himself with serious appearance this job is an excellent way to earn good money without being a company's slave, without office hours, without the constraints of a hierarchy...

May be you can call it "happiness"...

Ingeborg Gowans (X)
Ingeborg Gowans (X)  Identity Verified
Canada
English to German
+ ...
Love my job Jan 26, 2011

Apart from being flexible and ableto work from home, I also appreciate the fact that I am connected with so many other translators and learn from their postings as much as my own questions that I can put out to the proz community.
I realize there is a lot of competition out there, but once you have established a circle of clients it gives you more confidence.

John Speese
John Speese  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 06:43
German to English
+ ...
Love my job Jan 26, 2011

I love my job too, and for many of the same reasons as all of my colleagues have given: the flexibility, no commuting, no office politics, no going outdoors in bad weather, plus the challenge and satisfaction of completing a job, exploring the interactions between two cultures, and the pay isn't bad either. And to all the new translators out there, hang in there, if you're good you will be discovered, and starting with volunteer translating is a good move. I do miss the friendships and personal ... See more
I love my job too, and for many of the same reasons as all of my colleagues have given: the flexibility, no commuting, no office politics, no going outdoors in bad weather, plus the challenge and satisfaction of completing a job, exploring the interactions between two cultures, and the pay isn't bad either. And to all the new translators out there, hang in there, if you're good you will be discovered, and starting with volunteer translating is a good move. I do miss the friendships and personal interaction, office parties, etc. in my old workplace.Collapse

Brad426
Brad426
Italy
Italian to English
Excommunicated? Jan 27, 2011

"Should the the 'Nos' be 'excommunicated' from ProZ? Is an unhappy translator a good one?"

So everybody MUST be happy, or else...
Like with any job, there are goods and bads. Each person has to weigh those factors and determine for themselves if translating is right for them or not. This is a general poll of one's happiness with their job as a translator and not a job interview. Anyways, the real number is 93% are either happy or somewhat happy. That is likely to be far
... See more
"Should the the 'Nos' be 'excommunicated' from ProZ? Is an unhappy translator a good one?"

So everybody MUST be happy, or else...
Like with any job, there are goods and bads. Each person has to weigh those factors and determine for themselves if translating is right for them or not. This is a general poll of one's happiness with their job as a translator and not a job interview. Anyways, the real number is 93% are either happy or somewhat happy. That is likely to be far better than most other sectors.
Should blissful Chris should be 'excommunicated' from ProZ for making such a ridiculous statement?
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Are you happy with your job?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »