Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Poll: When you find (a) typo(s) in the source text, do you warn your client?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
Muriel Vasconcellos
Muriel Vasconcellos  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 07:50
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Most of my translations are published documents Feb 2, 2011

Usually both versions are on track for publication, so the originator of the document will want to make the corrections before they go to press. No one has ever thanked me, but I've been doing this for decades.

Of course, if the document is already published, then there's no point.

Patricia Charnet
Patricia Charnet
United Kingdom
Local time: 15:50
Member (2009)
English to French
sometimes Feb 2, 2011

When I'm asked to certify legal documents and there are mistakes in the original document I inform the client to get both documents fully synchronised - just had one where vendor was inserted a few times instead of purchaser.

Legal documents are the most likely when I point out mistakes particularly when I'm asked for certification.

Medical documents are often written in total gobbledygook by marketeers who have very little knowledge of the medical field so I correct th
... See more
When I'm asked to certify legal documents and there are mistakes in the original document I inform the client to get both documents fully synchronised - just had one where vendor was inserted a few times instead of purchaser.

Legal documents are the most likely when I point out mistakes particularly when I'm asked for certification.

Medical documents are often written in total gobbledygook by marketeers who have very little knowledge of the medical field so I correct the French to what it should be and inform if the nonsense is dangerous and could be seriously misleading.

However when someone wants to play smart and notices a typo in one of my documents when it happens, I always return the courtesy and underline typos and grammatical mistakes in the original
Collapse

Caro Maucher
Caro Maucher  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 16:50
Member (2005)
English to German
+ ...
Not really Feb 2, 2011

I answered 'it depends', but the more I think about it, the more I realise that I pretty much stopped doing it altogether. (Except for one favourite client who usually sends perfect texts.)
Why?
I guess it's because if the client can't be bothered to have the text properly proof-read, then why should I bother - and do it for free?
In fact I'm getting more and more annoyed with badly-written originals. We should charge extra instead of throwing in an extra service for no charge
... See more
I answered 'it depends', but the more I think about it, the more I realise that I pretty much stopped doing it altogether. (Except for one favourite client who usually sends perfect texts.)
Why?
I guess it's because if the client can't be bothered to have the text properly proof-read, then why should I bother - and do it for free?
In fact I'm getting more and more annoyed with badly-written originals. We should charge extra instead of throwing in an extra service for no charge!

Anyway, like Bin Tiede already said, typos are often the most harmless errors in source docs.
Collapse

Lany Chabot-Laroche
Lany Chabot-Laroche  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 10:50
Member (2009)
English to French
Depends on the client Feb 2, 2011

I have some clients with which I have wonderful relations and I know they will be happy that I report such matters to their attention.

On the other hand, I have clients that pay the bare minimum, have poor communication and would probably never acknowledge that I found something, let alone correct it, for those, I just don't care.

And in between, I have good clients that give me awfully written texts that are swarming with typos, even if I mean well, it just wouldn't be
... See more
I have some clients with which I have wonderful relations and I know they will be happy that I report such matters to their attention.

On the other hand, I have clients that pay the bare minimum, have poor communication and would probably never acknowledge that I found something, let alone correct it, for those, I just don't care.

And in between, I have good clients that give me awfully written texts that are swarming with typos, even if I mean well, it just wouldn't be really possible to correct/rewrite everything, so I just do my job.

In an agency I used to work for, they told me do stop reporting rare mistakes to clients, even though the clients appreciated it, because it was "too costly". I couldn't support such work ethic, especially on marketing documents that will be bilingual with the faulty English just on top of the correct French. That means sometimes both languages described different products, that is highly unprofessional to me.
Collapse

Interlangue (X)
Interlangue (X)
Angola
Local time: 16:50
English to French
+ ...
Other Feb 2, 2011

I tend not to correct them but do point them out to the customer when there is an obvious mistake (name, date, missing word, faulty link, ...) or the meaning becomes ambiguous. I use a tranlator's note to that effect and offer an alternative translation to be used in case my suggestion is right..

[Modifié le 2011-02-03 06:49 GMT]

Germaine
Germaine  Identity Verified
Canada
English to French
+ ...
Always Feb 2, 2011

Laurent KRAULAND wrote:

My principle is that documents are made to be read, be it in print or on screen. Typos in the source text don't look well either way. And I have found that dates, figures etc. (which have a great importance in the texts I usually translate) are very often subject to "typoism".

I can't even simply type sentences that I don't understand. I start from the principle that if it is obscure/wrong to me, it will also be for others. So, I don't "mind my own business" and if a client need me to go through his/her stuff "à la virgule près", I just can't. May be I'm just lucky, but over the last 20 years, I told only two clients that I wouldn't be available for years to come...

Rocio Barrientos
Rocio Barrientos  Identity Verified
Bolivia
English to Spanish
+ ...
I consider it part of my job Feb 2, 2011

Hi,

I do it most of the time.

Generally the clients send their thank yous through the PMs, or directly if they are direct clients.

I really do feel it is something that adds to the service I provide, it does not take up much time, it is valued, so why not?

Best,

Rocio

PS

Actually, I do what Interlangue describes, I poin
... See more
Hi,

I do it most of the time.

Generally the clients send their thank yous through the PMs, or directly if they are direct clients.

I really do feel it is something that adds to the service I provide, it does not take up much time, it is valued, so why not?

Best,

Rocio

PS

Actually, I do what Interlangue describes, I point them out and make suggestions.... I highlight them, use the comments boxes on word, or send emails to PMs...

[Edited at 2011-02-02 22:16 GMT]
Collapse

Da'd Kan'an
Da'd Kan'an
Jordan
Local time: 17:50
Member (2007)
English to Arabic
+ ...
Typos in original document Feb 3, 2011

David Wright wrote:

on whether the original is going into print or is otherwise intended to be presented to the public and serve as reflection on the client. If only my translation is to be used, which is often the case, then obviously I don't bother. What is more problematic is errors in an original that was not created by my client (e.g. a judge delivering his/her ruling) that make it impossible to understand what the person meant. And occasionally in such a text I come across typos that are obviously a distortion of the meaning (for instance the omission of the word "not"). What should I do? - it is clear that this was a mistake (the judgement wouldn't make sense), but it is in a formal document. I usually add a comment in my translation that there is obviously a mistake.

I totally agree with what you say here, especially with regards to legal texts. Sometimes, although the original text may be in my native language; Arabic, I become forced to read sentences over and over again, especially if they are fragmented or entail double/triple meaning, to try to understand what is meant. I always make sure to add notes to clients clarifying this issue.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: When you find (a) typo(s) in the source text, do you warn your client?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »