Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Poll: How many times have you asked for an extended deadline?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
Mar 9, 2011

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "How many times have you asked for an extended deadline?".

This poll was originally submitted by Jacques Raymond. View the poll results »

Mary Worby
Mary Worby  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 15:54
German to English
+ ...
Difficult to quantify ... Mar 9, 2011

But very rarely. I can remember once I was ill so needed an extra day, and occasionally work has been more time-consuming than anticipated. But the most common reason for extending a deadline is if the same customer comes up with a more pressing job!

Adnan Özdemir
Adnan Özdemir  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 17:54
Member (2007)
German to Turkish
+ ...
> 30 times Mar 9, 2011

Maybe >30 times in 21 years.

Saludos desde Anatolia
Anadolu'dan selamlar

[Edited at 2011-03-09 09:54 GMT]

Interlangue (X)
Interlangue (X)
Angola
Local time: 16:54
English to French
+ ...
Other Mar 9, 2011

I ask an extension before accepting a job, but remember handing in 2 jobs late because I had mixed up deadlines (so, in 2 cases, I needed an extended deadline after accepting the job)

Anna Spanoudaki-Thurm
Anna Spanoudaki-Thurm  Identity Verified
Germany
German to Greek
+ ...
other Mar 9, 2011

Till now, I had never had to ask for an extension after beginning the project, except in one case, where the customer made major changes in the document just one day before the deadline.

I do ask for an extension when I suspect that the deadline is arbitrary or when it does not make sense. For example, when I am asked to deliver till Friday EOB, I often ask for an extension till Monday 8 a.m. This means more flexibility for me, plus the chance to check the translation on Sunday. Fo
... See more
Till now, I had never had to ask for an extension after beginning the project, except in one case, where the customer made major changes in the document just one day before the deadline.

I do ask for an extension when I suspect that the deadline is arbitrary or when it does not make sense. For example, when I am asked to deliver till Friday EOB, I often ask for an extension till Monday 8 a.m. This means more flexibility for me, plus the chance to check the translation on Sunday. For the client it has no drawback. Most clients are happy to agree.

[Έγινε επεξεργασία στις 2011-03-09 09:28 GMT]
Collapse

Gianluca Marras
Gianluca Marras  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
other: Mar 9, 2011

several times and for the following reasons:
1) ONLY ONCE: because I was too ill to work
2) My father died, so I had to change the deadline of a job
3) several times if a regular client needs an extra job and I could miss the following deadlines (I would call this "re-arrangement of deadlines" rather than extension

Susanna Martoni
Susanna Martoni  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2009)
Spanish to Italian
+ ...
I cant' remember how many times Mar 9, 2011

However, I sometimes ask to deliver a translation job on Monday morning instead of Friday afternoon (weekends are often a kind of manna from heaven for us translators).

Cecilia Civetta
Cecilia Civetta  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2003)
Italian to Spanish
+ ...
So many times that I can't even remember! Mar 9, 2011

Dozens of times, in 19 years. But always well in advance of the deadline, never at the last minute.

John Cutler
John Cutler  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Once Mar 9, 2011

I think once when my father-in-law died. It happened in the middle of a job and there was no way to continue. I notified the PM and he was very understanding and gave me an extension.

I don't recall asking for any other extensions once into a job. The main reason for this would be that I simply don't accept jobs that I don't think I can complete on time.

As to pre-agreed extensions, I negotiate deadlines with all my clients, if I believe it's necessary, before acceptin
... See more
I think once when my father-in-law died. It happened in the middle of a job and there was no way to continue. I notified the PM and he was very understanding and gave me an extension.

I don't recall asking for any other extensions once into a job. The main reason for this would be that I simply don't accept jobs that I don't think I can complete on time.

As to pre-agreed extensions, I negotiate deadlines with all my clients, if I believe it's necessary, before accepting the project. Sometimes they accept and extend their original delivery date; other times I give in, bite the bullet, and work overtime to finish a project, or other times I simply say no because I know there's no way I can comply with the deadline.

An unexpected "Act of God" can happen to anyone at anytime, but IMO not completing a deadline due to irresponsibilty is simply unprofessional.
Collapse

Christine Andersen
Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
Other - frequently! Mar 9, 2011

As recently as yesterday... And I usually get an extension. This time I will deliver five out of six files on the suggested date and spend two days more on the last one.

I frequently do this before accepting a job. A client cannot know how busy you are.

It is NOT a crime. It is a normal part of negotiations. The typical scenario is: I am busy with a job in hand, and a client mails or rings with a new one.

For instance, they offer two days' work, suggested d
... See more
As recently as yesterday... And I usually get an extension. This time I will deliver five out of six files on the suggested date and spend two days more on the last one.

I frequently do this before accepting a job. A client cannot know how busy you are.

It is NOT a crime. It is a normal part of negotiations. The typical scenario is: I am busy with a job in hand, and a client mails or rings with a new one.

For instance, they offer two days' work, suggested deadline the day after tomorrow. Of course, I can't always leave my current job and anything else I may have in the in-tray.

So I tell the client firmly when I can deliver. Obviously, sometimes the deadline is fixed, and either I don't get the job, or I work out a way of doing it anyway.

Once you have accepted the deadline, however, there have to be good reasons for changing it.

I have done that too, numerous times, in spite of every effort to deliver on time. Unexpected problems crop up, which may even be the client's fault! I always let the client know and suggest what I or we can do about it. Usually they understand, and then it can be sorted out.

I am simply too old to bust a gut every time. I have done it often enough - and it still happens - but it sets off a chain reaction of rushed jobs and rushed proofing, which means more questions and delays, migraine attacks, more delays...

Show that you are in control, or that at least you know what you are doing when problems crop up.
I have never lost a good client by suggesting a realistic deadline. The kind who will not listen to reason are more trouble than they are worth.

If we let clients rule our lives and ask the impossible, they will - and may never even know that is what they are doing!
Collapse

Victoria Porter-Burns
Victoria Porter-Burns  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 15:54
Member (2007)
French to English
+ ...
Clarification Mar 9, 2011

Do you mean before accepting the job or once you've agreed a deadline and have started the job? I've only ever had to extend a previously agreed deadline if the same client comes up with a more urgent job but I regularly have to extend the deadlines my clients initially ask me for, either because I have too much work on or because the deadline is simply not realistic in my view.

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
I don't remember Mar 9, 2011

However, I suppose should really make a point of always asking for one, every time, because most clients in Spain appear to be in a perpetual state of haste, urgency and fluster and seem to think they are the black hole at the centre of my translation universe....

Miranda Joubioux (X)
Miranda Joubioux (X)  Identity Verified
French to English
Other Mar 9, 2011

I put other, because there is no time span to this question, which is not very helpful in the long run.

In the last 7 years I guess I have asked for an extended deadline only very occasionally.
It's actually difficult to quantify.

I would say 4/5 times per year at most.

It is something I had difficulties with at first and then I realized that it was essential if I was managing a lot of work all at once.

maryblack
maryblack  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 09:54
Member (2013)
Spanish to English
+ ...
agree with Victoria Mar 9, 2011

I often refuse a job or negotiate a deadline before beginning because it seems unreasonable to me, but once I've start a job I don't believe I've ever missed a deadline.

Thayenga
Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
Not as of yet... Mar 9, 2011

Thus far, I've managed to meet all dealines.

Only once was I tempted to ask for an extended dealine wenn the English source text was written by a non-native English speaker.

Hopefully, it will stay this way.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: How many times have you asked for an extended deadline?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »