Poll: How many hours do you generally work per week?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
Mar 10, 2011

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "How many hours do you generally work per week?".

This poll was originally submitted by Nathalie White. View the poll results »

Michael Harris
Michael Harris  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 03:45
Member (2006)
German to English
>>50 Mar 10, 2011

Have cut back a lot, but still manage my 60 hour week

Sandra Petch
Sandra Petch
French to English
+ ...
Around 55 Mar 10, 2011

The official working week here in France is 35 hours. I work around 55 hours a week, usually 10 hours/day and a few extra hours over the weekend.

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
31-40 Mar 10, 2011

... is what I said, off the top of my head, but really, who's counting?
It also depends on how you define "work/ing"... all the admin and PR type tasks we have to do as freelancers is also hard graft, so perhaps Michael's 60 hours is nearer the mark.
Then again, could answering this vaguely work-related poll be considered as work? More to the point, what am I doing waffling away here when I have a deadline...?

John Cutler
John Cutler  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
No idea Mar 10, 2011

It's hard to keep track since I don't follow any particular schedule. I work some every morning and every afternoon. Often times I find myself working on the weekends and even some holidays, although not as much as I used to.

I personally don't bother with this type of statistics. All I need to know is that I'm meeting my deadlines and getting the work done.

Adnan Özdemir
Adnan Özdemir  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 04:45
Member (2007)
German to Turkish
+ ...
*Winter__ >70 hours Mar 10, 2011

^^Winter^^ per week: > 70 hours

Saludos desde Anatolia
Anadolu'dan selamlar

[Edited at 2011-03-10 10:16 GMT]

Ahmad Mustaf (X)
Ahmad Mustaf (X)
Indonesia
Local time: 08:45
Depends.... Mar 10, 2011

Depends on the volume of work I have. Usually I work 40-60 hours/week if my work volume is high, and 5-10 hours/week if work is little.

MedTrans&More
MedTrans&More  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English to Portuguese
+ ...
? Mar 10, 2011

It's really workload related for me.

When I'm chock-a-translation about the house then I suppose I get around 60 hours done (with lots of breaks - which usually involve housework or something simple to take my mind of translating).

However there are weeks when I really only have the odd job come in and I dedicate more time to marketing.

Emma Goldsmith
Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2004)
Spanish to English
Thanks for giving me a chuckle, Neil Mar 10, 2011

neilmac wrote: More to the point, what am I doing waffling away here when I have a deadline...?

Sounds familiar... I think this accounts for more of my 50+ hours than I would like to admit.

Marlene Blanshay
Marlene Blanshay  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 21:45
Member (2009)
French to English
+ ...
31-50 Mar 10, 2011

I had to combine the two because some weeks it can be very quiet, like last week!
I'd say about 40 probably...

DianeGM
DianeGM  Identity Verified
Local time: 04:45
Member (2006)
Dutch to English
+ ...
No idea ... Mar 10, 2011

Don't count hours per week for starters and don't compare weeks as every week work load is different and so are my other commitments

Thayenga
Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
How true! Mar 10, 2011

Emma Goldsmith wrote:

neilmac wrote: More to the point, what am I doing waffling away here when I have a deadline...?

Sounds familiar... I think this accounts for more of my 50+ hours than I would like to admit.

This week has definitely more than 50 hours for me. They're closer to 70. But after the deadline will have been met, I will take an entire day off. Unless... a new job arrives.

Still, it does help my concentration to drift away from the job for a couple of miinutes. Then, fairly regenerated, I turn to it and so get a little closer (or faster?) to meeting my dealine.

[Edited at 2011-03-10 16:26 GMT]

[Edited at 2011-03-10 16:26 GMT]

Lany Chabot-Laroche
Lany Chabot-Laroche  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 21:45
Member (2009)
English to French
Couldn't have said it better! Mar 10, 2011

John Cutler wrote:

It's hard to keep track since I don't follow any particular schedule. I work some every morning and every afternoon. Often times I find myself working on the weekends and even some holidays, although not as much as I used to.

I personally don't bother with this type of statistics. All I need to know is that I'm meeting my deadlines and getting the work done.

I make enough money to have a great lifestyle, I get up when I feel like it and my clients are satisfied. Counting how many hours it takes to achieve this is irrelevant to me

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: How many hours do you generally work per week?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »