Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Poll: Do you generally accept to do free translations tests?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
Interlangue (X)
Interlangue (X)
Angola
Local time: 11:04
English to French
+ ...
It depends Mar 23, 2011

I hardly ever was asked to do a sample or test for FREE.
I used to do many (paid) tests for agencies who were approaching new clients, even though they knew I probably would have to decline the larger job that might follow (lack of time).
I still do tests for existing clients of agencies who request 3 (seldom more) samples, then pick out the one that suits them best and ask for that specific translator to be given the job.
Several of the agencies I work for have a first, seco
... See more
I hardly ever was asked to do a sample or test for FREE.
I used to do many (paid) tests for agencies who were approaching new clients, even though they knew I probably would have to decline the larger job that might follow (lack of time).
I still do tests for existing clients of agencies who request 3 (seldom more) samples, then pick out the one that suits them best and ask for that specific translator to be given the job.
Several of the agencies I work for have a first, second and third preferred translator for their (larger/regular) clients.
Collapse

Allison Wright (X)
Allison Wright (X)  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 10:04
Sometimes tests are valid - and worthwhile. Mar 23, 2011

A recent pleasurable experience arose from a sample translation test (around 80 words) for a job posted on Proz. As it turned out, the job poster had chosen, arguably, the most complex snippet in the document. I received the offer to do the job, because the poster "liked my translation best".
Another test I did through an agency (300 words) came back with tracked editing changes - and a request to continue with the job.
My decision as to whether to accept doing a test is often based
... See more
A recent pleasurable experience arose from a sample translation test (around 80 words) for a job posted on Proz. As it turned out, the job poster had chosen, arguably, the most complex snippet in the document. I received the offer to do the job, because the poster "liked my translation best".
Another test I did through an agency (300 words) came back with tracked editing changes - and a request to continue with the job.
My decision as to whether to accept doing a test is often based on my assessment of the reader's ability to judge whether the resultant translation is good - or not. If there is only a slight chance that the reader will appreciate my carefully chosen words, then forget it!

[Edited at 2011-03-23 12:49 GMT]
Collapse

Kitty Brussaard
Kitty Brussaard  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2009)
English to Dutch
+ ...
Paradox Mar 23, 2011

Basically, I don't mind doing a short translation test if this doesn't interfere with my ongoing (paid) projects. I've also grown a bit skeptical, however. Over the years, I have noticed that agencies who tend to ask 'most' of translators in terms of translation tests, registration forms etc. tend to offer 'least' to translators in terms of actual jobs .......

Nina Khmielnitzky
Nina Khmielnitzky  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 05:04
Member (2004)
English to French
Yes, but Mar 23, 2011

it depends how long. 250 words is ok, 300 and up is not. It feels like some agencies are looking for a free translation.

Anna Villegas
Anna Villegas
Mexico
Local time: 03:04
English to Spanish
Strange... Mar 23, 2011

When I do paid translation tests, I am always approved by my new potential client; but, when I do free translation tests, generally I am rejected.

How strange!

DianeGM
DianeGM  Identity Verified
Local time: 12:04
Member (2006)
Dutch to English
+ ...
Sometimes Mar 23, 2011

Actually this week I've done 2 (58 words and 61 words - both in language combinaiton that I haven't worked in for existing clients) and been asked for 2 more (potential new clients).

Generally speaking I'd be willing to do a paragraph - not a whole page.
I think a couple of well-chosen sentences is quite sufficient to tell everything you'd need to know about a translator's suitablity for a specific text.

But now those of you who say that you have a limit of 200
... See more
Actually this week I've done 2 (58 words and 61 words - both in language combinaiton that I haven't worked in for existing clients) and been asked for 2 more (potential new clients).

I think a couple of well-chosen sentences is quite sufficient to tell everything you'd need to know about a translator's suitablity for a specific text.

But now those of you who say that you have a limit of 200 words have got me wondering .... is that standard?
Is my one paragraph policy too stingy to get new clients via this route?
Collapse

Henry Hinds
Henry Hinds  Identity Verified
United States
English to Spanish
+ ...
In memoriam
No Mar 23, 2011

Tests are of no relevance in my world. I get all my referrals from satisfied direct clients, so I come pre-sold. The fact that I have the best credentials is also a big help, and a requirement for many jobs.

Thayenga
Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
Well... Mar 23, 2011

DianeGM wrote:

But now those of you who say that you have a limit of 200 words have got me wondering .... is that standard?
Is my one paragraph policy too stingy to get new clients via this route?

No, Diane, it isn't. We all choose how many words, paragraphs etc we're willing to translate at no charge.

Just the other day one of my clients, for whom I did a huge job this month, asked if I could help out with a 3 word translation. Of course, I did, and it would never cross my mind to ask for any compensation..

The bottom line is, you - and no one else - set your limit.

Berenice Font
Berenice Font  Identity Verified
Mexico
Member (2010)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Sometimes Mar 23, 2011

I am glad this poll raised this question because it is something that really confuses me. I have been asked to do some tests that were incredibly long and complex...once it was a document 8 pages long which of course I did not do! But some other times, I have translated the short phrases on the proz.com job postings and got the jobs because the outsourcers liked my versions.

I had an experience that still comes to my mind and want to share with you all: a supposed 'very good' agenc
... See more
I am glad this poll raised this question because it is something that really confuses me. I have been asked to do some tests that were incredibly long and complex...once it was a document 8 pages long which of course I did not do! But some other times, I have translated the short phrases on the proz.com job postings and got the jobs because the outsourcers liked my versions.

I had an experience that still comes to my mind and want to share with you all: a supposed 'very good' agency from the UK sent a complex application form, their blueboard is 5 with so many entries from very happy translators. They asked me for a test, with a deadline, unpaid, fairly complex on my speciality field. They answered it was a very good test and then....never heard from them again! It all seemed very serious and trustable...

[Edited at 2011-03-23 18:56 GMT]
Collapse

Giles Watson
Giles Watson  Identity Verified
Italy
Italian to English
In memoriam
I've rarely been asked Mar 23, 2011

Even in the days when I used to do more work for agencies, very rarely did anyone ask me to do a test for nothing. Most seemed happy for me to add the cost onto my first "real" invoice to them.

Nowadays, prospective clients get in touch either because my existing customers recommended me to them, or because they have seen my published work.

Actually, someone who found me through Proz last week did ask me to do a free test but I'm not accepting work from new clients at t
... See more
Even in the days when I used to do more work for agencies, very rarely did anyone ask me to do a test for nothing. Most seemed happy for me to add the cost onto my first "real" invoice to them.

Nowadays, prospective clients get in touch either because my existing customers recommended me to them, or because they have seen my published work.

Actually, someone who found me through Proz last week did ask me to do a free test but I'm not accepting work from new clients at the moment so the contact came to nothing.

@Berenice

If the UK agency liked your work, they'll probably get in touch when they next have a job for you. Remember that administering test translations takes time if it's done properly so agencies often do them when things are quiet. They may only actually use the results some time later when the market picks up again. Fingers crossed
Collapse

Muriel Vasconcellos
Muriel Vasconcellos  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 02:04
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
I can see the rationale for a short test Mar 24, 2011

None of us has equal command of all topics and domains, even within our field of specialization, so I don't mind a short test (

Power Translate
Power Translate  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Totally agree - I am trying to find a new strategy to avoid that Mar 25, 2011

Ian Jones wrote:

A company I work for pays for tests, which I think is fair, unlike one woman who wanted me to do over five hundred words of complicated legal text for free with a deadline ...

The same thing happened to me this week. It took me about half a day to complete the entire test which consisted of two different tests, then you had to give details on how you work, which tools you use, which websites to find words and then a Q&A sessions about things I could not know. She came back to me with the words "Oh, your translation was not precise enough and we don't add you to our database." Well, to be honest, I can live without clients I have problems with even before the working relationship has started properly.
I have decided to upload sample translations to my Facebook page and will get potential clients to check there.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Do you generally accept to do free translations tests?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »