Poll: Does one "have to" be a bookworm to be a translator?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
Apr 2, 2011

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "Does one "have to" be a bookworm to be a translator?".

This poll was originally submitted by Satto (Roberto). View the poll results »

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Local time: 17:00
Spanish to English
+ ...
No Apr 2, 2011

... and I don't see why it should be a plus. I've never liked the term "bookworm", implying inferiority and perhaps an unhealthy obsession with reading. Being an avid reader is not necessarily a prerequisite to being a decent translator in my (ahem)book.
Having an open mind, a good level of education and being conversant in different language registers and knowledge areas are probably the first things I'd look for, coupled with an aptitude for language/s.

Adnan Özdemir
Adnan Özdemir  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 19:00
Member (2007)
German to Turkish
+ ...
Agree 100 % Apr 2, 2011

Agree 100 %

neilmac wrote:

... and I don't see why it should be a plus. I've never liked the term "bookworm", implying inferiority and perhaps an unhealthy obsession with reading. Being an avid reader is not necessarily a prerequisite to being a decent translator in my (ahem)book.
Having an open mind, a good level of education and being conversant in different language registers and knowledge areas are probably the first things I'd look for, coupled with an aptitude for language/s.

Anadolu'dan selamlar
Saludos desde Anatolia

tradu-grace
tradu-grace  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
Agree 90% Apr 2, 2011

Agree 90%

Cecilia Rey
Cecilia Rey  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 13:00
English to Spanish
+ ...
"No"... Apr 2, 2011

Regards!

[Edited at 2011-04-02 11:16 GMT]

tradu-grace
tradu-grace  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
@neilmac Apr 2, 2011

Hi neilmac, my previous agree 90% was for your opionion (just forgot to point it out).

Marlene Blanshay
Marlene Blanshay  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 12:00
Member (2009)
French to English
+ ...
it helps to be a reader Apr 2, 2011

I also don't like 'bookworm' probably since i was labelled that as a kid. I would say it helps to be literary or a reader. Of course, these days, that would refer to anyone who reads a book a year.
I think having good writing skills is really a plus, especially when you translate into your native language. I came from a more literary and journalist background and I think that has really helped with the quality of translation and how I approach it. I'm a good researcher and can work under p
... See more
I also don't like 'bookworm' probably since i was labelled that as a kid. I would say it helps to be literary or a reader. Of course, these days, that would refer to anyone who reads a book a year.
I think having good writing skills is really a plus, especially when you translate into your native language. I came from a more literary and journalist background and I think that has really helped with the quality of translation and how I approach it. I'm a good researcher and can work under pressure, plus i have decent writing skills and language skills.
Collapse

R. Alex Jenkins
R. Alex Jenkins  Identity Verified
Brazil
Member (2006)
Portuguese to English
+ ...
No, but it depends Apr 2, 2011

I think it helps to be well read in your native language.

Gianluca Marras
Gianluca Marras  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
exactly Apr 2, 2011

neilmac wrote:

Thayenga
Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
It depends Apr 2, 2011

This greatly depends on one's understanding of the term "bookworm".

Personally, I associate the term "bookworm" with

a) a strong affinity, even love for the written (or the spoken) word
b) an instilled "crave" for knowledge
c) enjoy this particular kind of entertainment.

In this light, it does help to be a "bookworm" because a translator must (at least should) have a strong affinity for the written word as well as the desire to improve her or h
... See more
This greatly depends on one's understanding of the term "bookworm".

Personally, I associate the term "bookworm" with

a) a strong affinity, even love for the written (or the spoken) word
b) an instilled "crave" for knowledge
c) enjoy this particular kind of entertainment.

In this light, it does help to be a "bookworm" because a translator must (at least should) have a strong affinity for the written word as well as the desire to improve her or his knowledge, and, last but not least, enjoy anything that is word or language related.

Happy Weekend.
Collapse

Interlangue (X)
Interlangue (X)
Angola
English to French
+ ...
Agree 100% Apr 2, 2011

neilmac wrote:

María Eugenia Wachtendorff
María Eugenia Wachtendorff  Identity Verified
Chile
English to Spanish
+ ...
You may not "have to," but reading can make all the difference :) Apr 2, 2011

I am proud to say that I have NEVER taken a translation course. My mother tongue is Spanish, but English has been my chosen second language since I was thirteen years old.

I have a Bilingual Secretarial degree from Pontificia Universidad Catolica de Chile, and studied English at the Chilean-British Institute. I did NOT attend a bilingual school before that.

My mom, whose parents were Italian immigrants, is a teacher of English, but she got married immediately after grad
... See more
I am proud to say that I have NEVER taken a translation course. My mother tongue is Spanish, but English has been my chosen second language since I was thirteen years old.

I have a Bilingual Secretarial degree from Pontificia Universidad Catolica de Chile, and studied English at the Chilean-British Institute. I did NOT attend a bilingual school before that.

My mom, whose parents were Italian immigrants, is a teacher of English, but she got married immediately after graduating and had four children in a row, so she never practiced. She did sing us some lullabies in English, but only one of her five children inherited her passion for languages AND her library.

I pride myself on having become an excellent translator thanks to my avid reading in English and Spanish. My college studies were a complement, of course, but I think the finishing touch was my 17-year career as a secretary to CEOs who depended on me to understand one language or the other.

Therefore, I beg to disagree with those who think that a passion for reading is not essential to become a good translator. By definition, a “bookworm” is a person who spends much time reading or studying. That's me!

Cheers!

[Edited at 2011-04-03 01:59 GMT]
Collapse

Allison Wright (X)
Allison Wright (X)  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 16:00
No, but it is a plus. Apr 3, 2011

I don't think my clients care how many books I have read. Love of language(s), and how ideas are expressed is more important. Watching TV documentaries, listening to the radio, and how other people speak are equally important.

Trinh Do
Trinh Do  Identity Verified
Australia
Member (2007)
English to Vietnamese
+ ...
Reading certainly helps, but being a 'bookworm' is not mandatory Apr 3, 2011

The term 'bookworm' is very insulting and derogatory, as my jealous uncle-in-law used to call me. I take much pride to being an avid reader, regardless of what people think, and reading opens my mind to new cultures, e.g. English, American, French, German cultures, as well as gain an elevated educational level. It teaches me new terms required to be a translator and reading gems is so much joy, besides training to be a translator.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Does one "have to" be a bookworm to be a translator?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »