https://www.proz.com/forum/poll_discussion/197042-poll_when_you_are_working_on_a_project_what_distracts_you_the_most.html

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Poll: When you are working on a project what distracts you the most?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
Apr 19, 2011

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "When you are working on a project what distracts you the most?".

View the poll results »

Kuochoe Nikoi-Kotei
Kuochoe Nikoi-Kotei  Identity Verified
Ghana
Local time: 00:27
Japanese to English
Internet Apr 19, 2011

Internet. Always the internet. And I use online dictionaries so I can't very well turn it off.

Susanna Martoni
Susanna Martoni  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 02:27
Member (2009)
Spanish to Italian
+ ...
Internet and Apr 19, 2011

my daughter
my cat
bell ringing
television
neighbours' shouting
lawnmower

above all: my surfing the net without special reasons when I have to work or study!

Thayenga
Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
Presently and for the next 6 - 8 weeks Apr 19, 2011

The landlord has decided to redo the balconies. This involves the daily use of jackhammers, chisles, and vivid conversation between the workers...sudden and loud.
My head feels like after having spent a day at the dentist's.

Other than that I'm seldom distracted when I work because I'm usually so focused on the project that very few sounds/noises seem to be able to reach my ears.

The only thing that
... See more
The landlord has decided to redo the balconies. This involves the daily use of jackhammers, chisles, and vivid conversation between the workers...sudden and loud.
My head feels like after having spent a day at the dentist's.

Other than that I'm seldom distracted when I work because I'm usually so focused on the project that very few sounds/noises seem to be able to reach my ears.

The only thing that can really distract me is when I start to think about something which causes my mind to wander.
Collapse

Muriel Vasconcellos
Muriel Vasconcellos  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 17:27
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Define 'distract' Apr 19, 2011

I get the most interruptions from e-mail, but it doesn't take me away from my work; I take care of it quickly, either answering it or noting that I have to take care of it later.

As for interruptions that really take me away from my work, it's personal phone calls and people dropping by--I live in a very friendly neighborhood. People think I'm fair game because I'm at home.

I don't have children, or I'm sure that would be the biggest distraction. My dogs are very, very
... See more
I get the most interruptions from e-mail, but it doesn't take me away from my work; I take care of it quickly, either answering it or noting that I have to take care of it later.

As for interruptions that really take me away from my work, it's personal phone calls and people dropping by--I live in a very friendly neighborhood. People think I'm fair game because I'm at home.

I don't have children, or I'm sure that would be the biggest distraction. My dogs are very, very patient and never interrupt me.
Collapse

Mary Worby
Mary Worby  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 01:27
German to English
+ ...
Virtually all of the above ... Apr 19, 2011

The telephone, my husband, the radio (if it's on), the internet, the postman, the dog, the cat, the children, e-mail, text messages, answering polls on forums ...

You name it, I can be distracted by it!

Ekaterina Chashnikova
Ekaterina Chashnikova  Identity Verified
Member (2011)
English to Russian
+ ...
6,5% of the answerers are never distracted Apr 19, 2011

I envy these people =)

As for me, it's mainly internet. LiveJournal, news etc.

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Other Apr 19, 2011

... usually it's friends inviting me for barbecues/paellas or similar at weekends. They are used to me often being too busy to attend and do understand but I still feel sort of guilty about refusing.

I'm also currently translating a book and every time I have to research something online I get sidetracked, since I find it all so interesting, so the job is going slowly, but at least there is no concrete deadline.

Internet (proz) can be a distraction too... I shouldn't ev
... See more
... usually it's friends inviting me for barbecues/paellas or similar at weekends. They are used to me often being too busy to attend and do understand but I still feel sort of guilty about refusing.

I'm also currently translating a book and every time I have to research something online I get sidetracked, since I find it all so interesting, so the job is going slowly, but at least there is no concrete deadline.

Internet (proz) can be a distraction too... I shouldn't even be here now...
Collapse

Darío Giménez
Darío Giménez  Identity Verified
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
My dog Apr 19, 2011

Snores like a wild boar!

Sundar Gopalakrishnan
Sundar Gopalakrishnan
India
Local time: 05:57
English to Tamil
+ ...
Background noise. . . Apr 19, 2011

Background noise distracts and irritates me a lot. When I work, I don't browse the internet. I don't have pets. 6.3 % answerers say "I'm never distracted." Could they please explain how they achieve it?

Nicole Schnell
Nicole Schnell  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 17:27
English to German
+ ...
In memoriam
Phone solicitors / telemarketers Apr 19, 2011

It is the repetitiveness that will drive you to the edge of insanity. "Yellow pages", "long distance rates", "Google ad space" (big time!!!!), whatever campaign - these companies will assign your business phone number to about 150 different people who do this on a freelance basis and who are not even aware of this mass-outsourcing. You might be called at least 5 times a week and sometimes up to 3 times a day by different call-center people. It doesn't help if you ask any telemarketer to take you... See more
It is the repetitiveness that will drive you to the edge of insanity. "Yellow pages", "long distance rates", "Google ad space" (big time!!!!), whatever campaign - these companies will assign your business phone number to about 150 different people who do this on a freelance basis and who are not even aware of this mass-outsourcing. You might be called at least 5 times a week and sometimes up to 3 times a day by different call-center people. It doesn't help if you ask any telemarketer to take your number off their list, because the 150 other callers for this very account don't know from each other.

Our private number is on the North America Do-Not-Call-list, you can not do this with a business number.
Collapse

Batjavkhaa Batsaikhan
Batjavkhaa Batsaikhan  Identity Verified
Mongolia
Local time: 08:27
English to Mongolian
+ ...
These don't distract me but help me Apr 19, 2011

Interesting to see that all the people are distracted by something else. As for me, all the things listed here do not distract me but help me shift my focus so that I can refresh my brain when I am really busy.

Amy Duncan (X)
Amy Duncan (X)  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 21:27
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Other Apr 19, 2011

I live alone and have no pets, so that's not a problem. None of the other things on the list distract me, either. The only way I can get distracted is if I'm working on a really boring text...then my mind tends to wander. Taking short breaks helps.

Kathryn Litherland
Kathryn Litherland  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 20:27
Member (2007)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Dog on a schedule Apr 19, 2011

The internet, of course. And my kids, although my 16-yo has developed enough of a sense of maturity to ask "are you busy?" before posing major requests for my time.

But also, my dog is very much into her routine and schedule. During the week when I'm home alone and working my "regular" hours, she's great. She sleeps on the bed (my work desk is in my bedroom) all morning long, and then I take her out for a hard one-hour romp around lunchtime, then she sleeps again until my husband co
... See more
The internet, of course. And my kids, although my 16-yo has developed enough of a sense of maturity to ask "are you busy?" before posing major requests for my time.

But also, my dog is very much into her routine and schedule. During the week when I'm home alone and working my "regular" hours, she's great. She sleeps on the bed (my work desk is in my bedroom) all morning long, and then I take her out for a hard one-hour romp around lunchtime, then she sleeps again until my husband comes home around 3:30.

But whenever I'm trying to work outside those hours, she will often try to get me to play with her by brining her toys up onto the bed and barking at me. She clearly knows the difference between the weekday and weekend routine (husband hasn't gone to work, kids haven't gone to school) and thinks I should not be working on the weekend! I've literally found myself crawling through projects at a snail's pace, translating one segment then turning to toss a toy for the dog, then doing another segment, then tossing the toy....

One of my cats is also in the habit of hopping up on the back of my chair and meowing until I let her come down and sit in my lap and pet her, but at least I can toss her back on the floor when I need to get back to work, and she will just stalk off in a huff!

[Edited at 2011-04-19 13:45 GMT]
Collapse

Gianluca Marras
Gianluca Marras  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
mix of and also Apr 19, 2011

some of the above, family, telephone, and since I also teach in the evening, well phone calls for the other job.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: When you are working on a project what distracts you the most?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »