Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Poll: Is your work station in perfect working conditions?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
Apr 26, 2011

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "Is your work station in perfect working conditions?".

This poll was originally submitted by Rafael Molina Pulgar. View the poll results »

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2011-04-26 13:36 GMT]

Susanna Martoni
Susanna Martoni  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 19:41
Member (2009)
Spanish to Italian
+ ...
Perfect condition? Apr 26, 2011

Impossibile, I think.

And like many many of us, I am trying to improve the overall performance by installing, deinstalling, (re)formatting, adding and removing applications, programs, files...
By updating the notebook, reformatting the other Mac (I have to reinstall an old Operating System; Good Luck to me)

But only when I have enough time to do that.
So, a neverending job.

Noni Gilbert Riley
Noni Gilbert Riley
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
First, define "work station" Apr 26, 2011

Please! I've a nasty feeling I may not qualify...

Amy Duncan (X)
Amy Duncan (X)  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 14:41
Portuguese to English
+ ...
?? Apr 26, 2011

Yeah, what's a "work station?" I thought it meant your office space, but maybe it means your computer? I replied "other" because first of all I didn't understand the question, and second of all I don't have an office space. I use a MacBook Pro and usually sit on my bed or the couch.

Hilary Davies Shelby
Hilary Davies Shelby
United States
Local time: 12:41
German to English
+ ...
I put yes Apr 26, 2011

...assuming I've understood the question correctly! My husband is a computer nerd and is always tinkering with our computers and tweaking this, that and the other! I think it's about as good as it can be for now - until, of course, something new comes out that we simply must have!

Alexandra Speirs
Alexandra Speirs  Identity Verified
Italian to English
+ ...
depends Apr 26, 2011

The computer is OK, maybe a bit too full, time I did some cleaning out.
But I'm afraid the desk is a tip ....

wonita (X)
wonita (X)
China
Local time: 13:41
Yes, Apr 26, 2011

can't work otherwise.

Angie Garbarino
Angie Garbarino  Identity Verified
Member (2003)
French to Italian
+ ...
Yes because.. Apr 26, 2011

I tried to work in bed or sofa, but I can't

I need a room a chair, a table and my books around...

Henry Hinds
Henry Hinds  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 11:41
English to Spanish
+ ...
In memoriam
No Apr 26, 2011

My work space is, and has always been in terrible condition. That's the only way I can work.

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Yes Apr 26, 2011

It works. Which is fine and dandy.
For the computer ignorant, work station is teccy-speak for "wherever you happen to work from", which is usually a PC or laptop somewhere if you're a freelancer.

Christine Andersen
Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
Don't ask Apr 26, 2011

... it might get ideas!

All the programs I subscribe to are sending me updates... So I had better ghost the setup and hope for the best.

One time I went round in circles for a year - Adobe would not print and blamed Microsoft. Multiterm went on strike and blamed Java. My computer-man said "Live with the Java," and fiddled with the Microsoft.

As soon as he left the room, Adobe refused to print and blamed Microsoft... several times.

Last summer I
... See more
... it might get ideas!

All the programs I subscribe to are sending me updates... So I had better ghost the setup and hope for the best.

One time I went round in circles for a year - Adobe would not print and blamed Microsoft. Multiterm went on strike and blamed Java. My computer-man said "Live with the Java," and fiddled with the Microsoft.

As soon as he left the room, Adobe refused to print and blamed Microsoft... several times.

Last summer I installed Studio 2009 on my laptop. Great, and I translated a couple of large projects with it... So I installed it on my desktop, which supposedly has an identical setup. Supposedly.

It took the SDL hot-line engineer twice two hours to sort it out! I still had to get the computer man to reinstate my printer, but it only took him a few seconds.

Let sleeping gremlins lie, I say!

Right now I think it works.

[Edited at 2011-04-26 19:37 GMT]
Collapse

María Eugenia Wachtendorff
María Eugenia Wachtendorff  Identity Verified
Chile
Local time: 13:41
English to Spanish
+ ...
Yessss! Apr 26, 2011

Lots of free disk space, more RAM than necessary, and an external hard disk that's almost empty because I keep no garbage and stick to my by-weekly cleaning, debugging and defragmenting routine. I have an efficient filing & backup system, and my hard copy dictionaries and glossaries are within my reach.

I have an ergonomic desk and chair set (no carpal tunnel or spine problems here!) Daylight comes in through a window at my left, and my desk lamp is the best I could find in the mar
... See more
Lots of free disk space, more RAM than necessary, and an external hard disk that's almost empty because I keep no garbage and stick to my by-weekly cleaning, debugging and defragmenting routine. I have an efficient filing & backup system, and my hard copy dictionaries and glossaries are within my reach.

I have an ergonomic desk and chair set (no carpal tunnel or spine problems here!) Daylight comes in through a window at my left, and my desk lamp is the best I could find in the market.

Everything works fine here, including me

Happy translating, dear all!

[Edited at 2011-04-26 19:45 GMT]
Collapse

Ahmet Murati
Ahmet Murati  Identity Verified
Germany
English to Albanian
+ ...
In general yes but I have to leave it soon Apr 26, 2011

There is a European Championship for Robot Soccer Euroby 2011 here in my country and I am part of host team so no way to be at my work station.

[Redaktuar më 2011-04-27 07:23 GMT]

Mami Yamaguchi
Mami Yamaguchi  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 02:41
Member (2008)
English to Japanese
+ ...
Maybe, yes! Apr 26, 2011

I always work from home,but sometimes work at my clients' office. Both are perfect to focus on

[Edited at 2011-04-27 03:14 GMT]

ikeda45
ikeda45  Identity Verified
Local time: 02:41
Member (2007)
English to Japanese
No Apr 27, 2011

But I'm satisfied.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Is your work station in perfect working conditions?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »