https://www.proz.com/forum/poll_discussion/198661-poll_when_you_send_a_quote_to_a_direct_client_do_you_include_your_terms_conditions_of_sale_service.html

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Poll: When you send a quote to a direct client, do you include your terms & conditions of sale/service?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
May 11, 2011

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "When you send a quote to a direct client, do you include your terms & conditions of sale/service?".

This poll was originally submitted by Mary Moritz. View the poll results »

Jocelyne S
Jocelyne S  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 22:42
French to English
+ ...
Baffled May 11, 2011

As I write this, half of the poll respondents have answered "No" and this has me baffled:

Now maybe I'm missing something, but why on earth do people have Terms and Conditions if they don't send them out to clients when quoting? (Presumably if you don't have T&Cs you should answer "Other" rather than "No", right?)

Anyhow, I answered Yes. My quotes clearly stipulate that acceptance of the quote entails acceptance of the accompanying T&Cs.

Best,
Jocelyn
... See more
As I write this, half of the poll respondents have answered "No" and this has me baffled:

Now maybe I'm missing something, but why on earth do people have Terms and Conditions if they don't send them out to clients when quoting? (Presumably if you don't have T&Cs you should answer "Other" rather than "No", right?)

Anyhow, I answered Yes. My quotes clearly stipulate that acceptance of the quote entails acceptance of the accompanying T&Cs.

Best,
Jocelyne
Collapse

Noni Gilbert Riley
Noni Gilbert Riley
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Waste of time not to include them May 11, 2011

If a client won't accept my terms I'm more thank likely not to be interested in working with them... why waste any more time (and more e-mails back and forth)....?

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Other May 11, 2011

If they are regulars, only if they need reminding of my basic stipulations (manageable formats, NO UNDEFINED ACRONYMS, a certain degree of mutual proactivity, disclaimer, rates, etc). Or the ongoing thankless task of trying to get them to factor in translation times when planning and producing their texts in order to avoid "urgent" deadlines.

If they are new non-agency clients who may become potential regulars, then yes.

BTW I don't usually have to give quotes to my reg
... See more
If they are regulars, only if they need reminding of my basic stipulations (manageable formats, NO UNDEFINED ACRONYMS, a certain degree of mutual proactivity, disclaimer, rates, etc). Or the ongoing thankless task of trying to get them to factor in translation times when planning and producing their texts in order to avoid "urgent" deadlines.

If they are new non-agency clients who may become potential regulars, then yes.

BTW I don't usually have to give quotes to my regulars. Believe it or not, I have this relationship with my clients which is called "trust". They have learnt over the years that they can rely on me not to pad the bills out or try to get more than a job is worth or the rates originally agreed. In fact, I don't like giving quotes at all; yesterday I was asked for a quote for a job I haven't seen yet, so I had to decline, explaining that I have had my fingers burnt that way before ( I believe in keeping my word, if I give a price then I stick to it).

In the event that I do have to give quotes, I usually end up shooting myself in the foot so I try to avoid it whenever possible. Maybe I'm just too nice to be in "business"...

[Edited at 2011-05-11 08:57 GMT]
Collapse

Nicole Schnell
Nicole Schnell  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 13:42
English to German
+ ...
In memoriam
I voted "Other" May 11, 2011

Whenever I send a quote to a new and prospective direct client, the email (or the phone conversation) will contain the payment terms (xx days after receipt of invoice) and the various payment methods that I can offer.

Once we agree on the basics, all hell will break loose anyway, especially if you are dealing with ISO-certified companies, and we will happily exchange NDAs, agreements, contracts, signatures, supplier evaluation forms, financial forms, DNA patterns, shoe size and what
... See more
Whenever I send a quote to a new and prospective direct client, the email (or the phone conversation) will contain the payment terms (xx days after receipt of invoice) and the various payment methods that I can offer.

Once we agree on the basics, all hell will break loose anyway, especially if you are dealing with ISO-certified companies, and we will happily exchange NDAs, agreements, contracts, signatures, supplier evaluation forms, financial forms, DNA patterns, shoe size and what not, except body fluids.
Collapse

Karen Stokes
Karen Stokes  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 21:42
Member (2003)
French to English
Link May 11, 2011

They're on my website, so I include a link to that and request written confirmation of acceptance.

Mike (de Oliveira) Brady
Mike (de Oliveira) Brady  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Why only direct clients? May 11, 2011

I rarely work with direct clients, but I always include my terms and conditions when replying to outsourcer postings on Proz.com or other enquiries.

They are just a few lines setting out my quote and delivery, payment methods, review policy and limiting my liability to the sum paid for the translation.

I usually go with the client's payment date (I don't much care how long the delay is as long as they meet the date), but specify they are liable for their own bank charge
... See more
I rarely work with direct clients, but I always include my terms and conditions when replying to outsourcer postings on Proz.com or other enquiries.

They are just a few lines setting out my quote and delivery, payment methods, review policy and limiting my liability to the sum paid for the translation.

I usually go with the client's payment date (I don't much care how long the delay is as long as they meet the date), but specify they are liable for their own bank charges if paying by bank transfer.

I have thought about adding a penalty cause for late payment, but, with one or two exceptions, missed payments have been administrative errors and quickly resolved.

To avoid possible problems, I think it is essential to have these terms set out clearly before accepting any work.
Collapse

Simon Bruni
Simon Bruni  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2009)
Spanish to English
Price and deadline May 11, 2011

In 6 years and 3.5 million words translated I've never had any need to refer anyone to Ts & Cs other than the pricing and deadline agreed in the first e-mail. Am I missing something?

Izabela Szczypka
Izabela Szczypka  Identity Verified
Spain
English to Polish
+ ...
You don't walk alone :) May 11, 2011

Simon Bruni wrote:
In 6 years and 3.5 million words translated I've never had any need to refer anyone to Ts & Cs other than the pricing and deadline agreed in the first e-mail. Am I missing something?

Plus, 95% of my direct customers are domestic - they prefer to call me and discuss details rather than forget to ask a vital question in an e-mail. Consequently, all e-mails from them start on the note of "Following our discussion over the phone a moment ago, ..."
I voted 'Other', of course.

Alexandra Speirs
Alexandra Speirs  Identity Verified
Italian to English
+ ...
only to new ones May 11, 2011

My regular direct clients already know them.

Tina Vonhof (X)
Tina Vonhof (X)
Canada
Local time: 14:42
Dutch to English
+ ...
Other May 11, 2011

I have many direct clients but I don't have any T & C. After I see the document I give the client an estimate of what it will cost and how to pay, I ask them to confirm (by e-mail) that they agree, my invoice says "pay within 30 days", and that's it.

DianeGM
DianeGM  Identity Verified
Local time: 23:42
Member (2006)
Dutch to English
+ ...
Other ... May 11, 2011

I hope 'other' is the correct response in this case - there was no option for 'only new clients'.
Only to new clients, (and actually I don't take on new clients very often - only a couple every year) and if they don't already have them i.e. if the new client is not acutally an old contact working for a new company, subsidiary/branch of existing client, etc.

[Edited at 2011-05-11 16:08 GMT]

Henry Hinds
Henry Hinds  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 14:42
English to Spanish
+ ...
In memoriam
Informal May 11, 2011

Like Tina, if the client needs a quote first, I send it, if approved then I do the work, deliver and bill for it. If after 30 days payment has not been received, then I send a reminder. Most of my clients are steady ones, so they just send the work, ask that it be done and pay promptly.

There is nothing much on terms and conditions; I deliver the work and you pay me on time; that's it.

Steven Capsuto
Steven Capsuto  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 16:42
Member (2004)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Not in the quote May 11, 2011

Most of my direct-client work comes from companies I've been working with for ages. We agreed to terms long ago and I don't feel the need to reiterate them several times a week. However, my invoices do remind them of the already agreed-upon terms.

For new clients, I specify terms and conditions in the initial e-mails. If we can't agree on terms, things never get to the quoting phase for specific jobs.

[Edited at 2011-05-11 18:59 GMT]

Allison Wright (X)
Allison Wright (X)  Identity Verified
Portugal
No May 11, 2011

There is always the chance the client will offer better terms and conditions than I would propose. The main point is to agree on (and received client confirmation) all these basics before starting the job.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: When you send a quote to a direct client, do you include your terms & conditions of sale/service?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »