Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Poll: How would you describe the process of looking up very hard-to-find words/terms?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
Elizabeth Joy Pitt de Morales
Elizabeth Joy Pitt de Morales  Identity Verified
Local time: 09:12
Member (2007)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Distracting May 20, 2011

I start searching for a word, then I find it and find something else interesting related to it, and then I start to read about that, which leads me to another term or concept that, in turn, I find terminally fascinating and then...

You get the picture.

Terminology research is the bane of the technical translator suffering from terminal curiousity, but man do I have lots of stuff floating around in my head.

Happy weekend, all!

Allison Wright (X)
Allison Wright (X)  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 08:12
I love it when May 20, 2011

I am busy researching one term - and stroke of luck! - find the answer to another term I was searching for. Methodical is is not. Serendipitous? You bet!

Slightly off-topic:
Is there a programme one can use to search Internet-based .pdf file?
The websearch has told you that "the phrase exists", but finding "the phrase exists" in a 50-page .pdf file (instead of just hitting the [Find] button is sometimes a little off-putting.
Which .pdf file converter is most eff
... See more
I am busy researching one term - and stroke of luck! - find the answer to another term I was searching for. Methodical is is not. Serendipitous? You bet!

Slightly off-topic:
The websearch has told you that "the phrase exists", but finding "the phrase exists" in a 50-page .pdf file (instead of just hitting the [Find] button is sometimes a little off-putting.
Which .pdf file converter is most effective, and reasonably priced?

I know I sound like the person who only wants a mobile phone to make telephone calls - but that really is all I want to do.
Collapse

Cristina Munari
Cristina Munari  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2008)
English to Italian
+ ...
I voted exciting May 20, 2011

Britt D. Laux wrote:

But it's also time-consuming. Exactly.

Elizabeth Faracini
Elizabeth Faracini  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 03:12
Member (2010)
Italian to English
+ ...
@ Allison May 20, 2011

Allison Wright wrote:

Which .pdf file converter is most effective, and reasonably priced?

I know I sound like the person who only wants a mobile phone to make telephone calls - but that really is all I want to do.

Hi Allison,

If I've understood your question correctly, I believe you should use CTRL+F to find a specific word or phrase in an online pdf document. It will open up a search box where you can type in the word or phrase and then when you hit enter, it will jump to the first occurrence, then to the next, etc.

As far as pdf converters, I've been using the free one that Wordfast Anywhere provides (http://www.freetm.com/), and I think it works just as well as any other one I've tried.

I hope this helps. Have a nice weekend!

Liz

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Part of the job May 20, 2011

... and often irksome when time is of the essence.

However, it is a minimal issue for in my scheme of things and I think there are other
more important aspects of translation often overlooked, such as knowledge of register, synonymy or appropriacy. The "meaning" of the term is, in my view, often secondary to its suitability for the context.

BTW I don't quite understand the reference to abuse as posted above in upper case, as I find proz extremely helpful to "
... See more
... and often irksome when time is of the essence.

However, it is a minimal issue for in my scheme of things and I think there are other
more important aspects of translation often overlooked, such as knowledge of register, synonymy or appropriacy. The "meaning" of the term is, in my view, often secondary to its suitability for the context.

BTW I don't quite understand the reference to abuse as posted above in upper case, as I find proz extremely helpful to "brainstorm" peers when I am stuck on a term for whatever reason, and am willing to pitch in my reciprocal two cents as required.
Collapse

Kuochoe Nikoi-Kotei
Kuochoe Nikoi-Kotei  Identity Verified
Ghana
Local time: 07:12
Japanese to English
Heh heh May 20, 2011

It's only exciting if I find them in the end. Otherwise it's RRGGGHH AARRRGH NOOOO! I don't see that option on the list...

Alexander Kondorsky
Alexander Kondorsky  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 10:12
English to Russian
+ ...
Mixed feelings! May 21, 2011

I replied "exciting" but, to be honest, in my case, the best answer would be "combination of the above".

Rocio Barrientos
Rocio Barrientos  Identity Verified
Bolivia
Local time: 03:12
English to Spanish
+ ...
Agree! May 21, 2011

Caroline T. wrote:

and time-consumig and part of the job.

All three really but I always find it enjoyable to discover new words, words that I will never ever encounter/use/see again!

Not only words, but topics, knowledge, for me researching is like visiting a paradisiacal world!

Obviously many times it is HIGHLY time consuming, just yesterday I spent a couple of hours researching one word for a FOREX project, in the process I learned a lot of new things.

Have a nice weeked!

Rocío

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: How would you describe the process of looking up very hard-to-find words/terms?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »