Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Poll: My professional life has been most influenced for good by
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
Jun 5, 2011

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "My professional life has been most influenced for good by".

View the poll results »

Interlangue (X)
Interlangue (X)
Angola
Local time: 16:40
English to French
+ ...
Other Jun 5, 2011

Several of the above + the course of life and technological developments.

John Cutler
John Cutler  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Other Jun 5, 2011

I know, it sounds like I'm receiving an Oscar award, but: "I really want to thank God and my family".

Allison Wright (X)
Allison Wright (X)  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 15:40
Other Jun 5, 2011

The translation work I have actually done has been the greatest influence. Thoughts are shaped this way.

MJ Barber
MJ Barber  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Other - Internet Jun 5, 2011

I cannot overstate the influence of Internet on my professional life. Access to information, documents, discussion groups and other resources has had an immeasurable effect on how I work.

Of course, it has also provided me with a whole new universe of time-wasting possibilities ...

David Wright
David Wright  Identity Verified
Austria
German to English
+ ...
Other - my customers Jun 5, 2011

Who else? (and of course the decision I made at the age of 18 to study law).

Williamson
Williamson  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Flemish to English
+ ...
Other Jun 5, 2011

A couple of years at an American multinational of packages and the perks as well as the business-insights that came with working for that company.
It allowed me to see the world through the eyes of a pilot:) and visit different countries and cultures for free. Hopping over from say Paris to have a drink with a friend in Anchorage while on route to Tokyo or Hong-Kong.

[Edited at 2011-06-05 13:06 GMT]

Vibeke Degn-P
Vibeke Degn-P  Identity Verified
Norway
Member (2010)
English to Norwegian
+ ...
Other - TV Jun 5, 2011

Watching TV in my source languages has given me a lot when it comes to understanding the all important nuances and double meanings.
And of course, I married a man speaking one of my source languages. It helps having a walking, talking dictionary in my livingroom.

[Edited at 2011-06-05 10:36 GMT]

Suzan Hamer
Suzan Hamer  Identity Verified
Netherlands
English
+ ...
Other - The computer Jun 5, 2011

and Internet.

Alexander Kondorsky
Alexander Kondorsky  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 17:40
English to Russian
+ ...
Work, work and work! Jun 5, 2011

Allison Wright wrote:

The translation work I have actually done has been the greatest influence. Thoughts are shaped this way.

ABSOLUTELY!

Thayenga
Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
Others Jun 5, 2011

Interlangue wrote:

Several of the above + the course of life and technological developments.

same here

Mami Yamaguchi
Mami Yamaguchi  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 23:40
Member (2008)
English to Japanese
+ ...
colleague's words Jun 5, 2011

There is a translator who respects himself as a 'self-made translator'. He said to me it once. Still now, 'self-made translator' is my impressive&favorite phrase. I really don't know if it is true for him. I may be superior to him when it comes to E-J translation skill. But I think it was an only gift from him. Now I am aiming for it. 'Translate your dreams into reality.' Thanks!

[Edited at 2011-06-06 09:56 GMT]

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Other Jun 5, 2011

Computer, internet, moving to another country + several of the above...

José Henrique Lamensdorf
José Henrique Lamensdorf  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 11:40
English to Portuguese
+ ...
In memoriam
Clients! Jun 5, 2011

I am a customer-needs-driven services provider. Of course, I must keep a healthy level of self-criticism, however when I see that a client needs (or will need) - after my translation - something that I can do on a cost-effective basis, I'll learn to do it with the required level of quality, and will eventually get/improve the necessary resources, if any.

Most of the many additional-to-translation services I provide came from client challenges. The first big one came from a client fo
... See more
I am a customer-needs-driven services provider. Of course, I must keep a healthy level of self-criticism, however when I see that a client needs (or will need) - after my translation - something that I can do on a cost-effective basis, I'll learn to do it with the required level of quality, and will eventually get/improve the necessary resources, if any.

Most of the many additional-to-translation services I provide came from client challenges. The first big one came from a client for whom I had been translating training manuals for their videos. They asked me if I'd like to try translating a video for dubbing, and so I discovered an unknown and untapped talent in myself. Though I didn't have the proper equipment then, the first video I ever translated was dubbed exactly to my script, came out great, and is still running somewhere.

I went through similar processes with DTP, video translation for subtitling, spotting and subtitling itself, authoring DVDs, and several other things.

Likewise, clients led me to "you don't know what you don't know"-type discoveries, which on their turn led me to declare some areas of human knowledge as my zones of ignorance, off-limits, so I decided NOT to translate technical material (i.e. intended for professional practitioners) in a few specific subjects.
Collapse

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Other Jun 5, 2011

I have a problem with extremes/superlatives, such as "most" and "best".

Many of my clients/acquaintances and colleagues/friends have had some influence on decisions taken in the course of things over the years... for example,I was lent my first ever laptop by a friend/client and was eventually allowed to keep it. A colleague gave me copies of early translation software, some of which I still use today...

...etc.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: My professional life has been most influenced for good by

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »