https://www.proz.com/forum/poll_discussion/203122-poll_are_you_curious_about_the_way_your_clients_look_like.html

Poll: Are you curious about the way your client(s) look like?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
Jul 13, 2011

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "Are you curious about the way your client(s) look like?".

This poll was originally submitted by Natalia Pedrosa. View the poll results »

Sandra Petch
Sandra Petch
Local time: 15:58
French to English
+ ...
No, but... Jul 13, 2011

I'm not curious about how they look but there are some I'd be happy to meet, or have already had the pleasure of meeting.

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Other Jul 13, 2011

Not really, not usually.

I do occasionally find myself being very familiar with a couple of people I deal with usually by email, rarely by phone, (both secretaries) who forward me work, for example I recently found myself telling one of them all about the horrible day I'd had, in great detail... then found myself thinking "but I hardly know this person"... and then it crossed my mind that I didn't even know what they looked like. One of the perils of the times...

Simon Bruni
Simon Bruni  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 14:58
Member (2009)
Spanish to English
Not really Jul 13, 2011

I have met my most regular clients and I have fuzzily imagined (and no doubt completely inaccurate) mental pictures of the rest, much like one does with characters in a novel.

Suzan Hamer
Suzan Hamer  Identity Verified
Netherlands
English
+ ...
I'm curious about some of them, Jul 13, 2011

but have no desire at all to meet them. I developed quite a good relationship via email with a writer for whom I translated a book. We shared life stories and so on. In my mind, based on all the things she told me about herself and her life, for some reason I pictured her as something like Anais Nin. I was quite surprised then to see, when she set up a website, that she looked quite different. I have no idea how SHE pictures me.

Noni Gilbert Riley
Noni Gilbert Riley
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Not curious, not something I think about Jul 13, 2011

What is curious though is that on occasions when I have met them, I have sometimes been surprised about the way they look - having reached different conclusions from the way in which they express themselves and sometimes from the sound of their voice.
All sorts of social assumptions taking place there!

Note: since the polls are edited before release, maybe the English should be vetted - no offence intended Natalia, but it's either "the way they look" or "what they look like".<
... See more
What is curious though is that on occasions when I have met them, I have sometimes been surprised about the way they look - having reached different conclusions from the way in which they express themselves and sometimes from the sound of their voice.
All sorts of social assumptions taking place there!

Note: since the polls are edited before release, maybe the English should be vetted - no offence intended Natalia, but it's either "the way they look" or "what they look like".
Collapse

MikeTrans
MikeTrans
Germany
Italian to German
+ ...
Our relationship should not be an electronic fluctuation (Internet) Jul 13, 2011

Hi,

it should be more than that. So, yes absolutely, and all of them if possible. There would be practical matters to resolve, but I'd be happy anyway!

Mike

PRAKASH SHARMA
PRAKASH SHARMA  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 19:28
English to Hindi
+ ...
I don't mind how they look like Jul 13, 2011

I am just concerned about money I receive and the quality of work I provide. If client is prompt in payment, I am more than happy to work for him/her again and again, howsoever he/she may look like, it doesn't matter to me at all.

Thayenga
Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
Other because.... Jul 13, 2011

In some cases I'd like to meet my clients face to face, but this isn't possible due to the great distances between us.

I have "met" some of my clients via Skype video conferences. And, admittedly, there was one who I wouldn't have recognized by the profile photo.

What matters more than a client's look is her/his business conduct, though.

Nicole Schnell
Nicole Schnell  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 06:58
English to German
+ ...
In memoriam
Interesting question Jul 13, 2011

It made me think - and I figured out that the only ones I would love to meet in person are the ones that I know from phone calls. Guess, I am curious which face might belong to the voice.

Amy Duncan (X)
Amy Duncan (X)  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 10:58
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Other... Jul 13, 2011

I would like to know what my clients look like (and I do know what some of them look like because of their Facebook profiles), but don't really have the desire to meet them in person. The ones whose pictures I've seen after I've known them for awhile usually look quite different from what I had imagined!

Henry Hinds
Henry Hinds  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 07:58
English to Spanish
+ ...
In memoriam
Don't think about it Jul 13, 2011

My clients' appearance is something I don't think about much; I have met many in person and others not. The important thing is that the relationship is always mutually beneficial. My own appearance is not particularly impressive, you can see what I look like in my profile, so I would hope that people are more impressed by the quality and delivery I provide and I think that is the case.

Galina Kasatkina
Galina Kasatkina  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 16:58
English to Russian
+ ...
Curious Jul 13, 2011

Sometimes I stumble on their home or facebook pages by accident and yes, it is interesting to connect face to the "voice" I pick up from emails, icq chats and so on. But I wouldn't want to meet them in person. Sociopath here

Michael Harris
Michael Harris  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2006)
German to English
No, not really Jul 14, 2011

but I have already met a few of my customers in person

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Are you curious about the way your client(s) look like?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »