Poll: Has your business grown since you first started it?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
Jul 14, 2011

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "Has your business grown since you first started it?".

This poll was originally submitted by Helena Grahn. View the poll results »

Mary Worby
Mary Worby  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 16:15
German to English
+ ...
It has grown Jul 14, 2011

But, given that all business start from nothing, surely that's always the case. Unless you're doing something very badly wrong.

Thayenga
Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 17:15
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
Other Jul 14, 2011

It had slowed down due to a five weeks' break I had to take. But now I'm back

And there's reason to beliieve that business will pick up significantly within the next couple of weeks.

Manuela Junghans
Manuela Junghans  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2004)
English to German
+ ...
First of all Jul 14, 2011

I think "significantly" is a matter of personal perception and definition, but as Mary quite rightly pointed out, if your business wouldn´t grow from when you first start, it wouldn´t really be worth it, would it?

Therefore, yes of course, it has grown

Simon Bruni
Simon Bruni  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2009)
Spanish to English
Yes Jul 14, 2011

But the Spanish economy has shrunk. Progress is much slower than it used to be and in any event rates have always been squeezed to the max in my language combo.

Jack Doughty
Jack Doughty  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Russian to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Grown since 1965, but... Jul 14, 2011

From the beginning in 1965 until the end of last year, I had one regular client who sent me work every week, but I have had nothing from that source this year. However, other work has been going well, so income has not fallen significantly.

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Other Jul 14, 2011

Er... sort of.
I didn't "start" my "business", I drifted into translation from TEFL. I now have more translation work than I did in the beginning.

Gianluca Marras
Gianluca Marras  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
yes Jul 14, 2011

as others have said, starting from a situation with one client about 11 years ago... if it hadn't grown remarkably I wouldn't have two children and I wouldn't have continued this activity!

MikeTrans
MikeTrans
Germany
Italian to German
+ ...
I say yes, but... Jul 14, 2011

Hi,

yes it has grown by the many possibilities a translation work is done compared to 15 years ago.
But if you mean Business as Income, then I have to throw out the word "significantly", although the good news, at least for me, is: It much more depends on yourself than ever before.

Greets,
Mike

wonita (X)
wonita (X)
China
Local time: 11:15
In the token of the zeitgeist, Jul 14, 2011

my business has been growing as fast as my home country.

Chun Un
Chun Un  Identity Verified
Macau
Member (2007)
English to Chinese
+ ...
Yes indeed Jul 14, 2011

Manuela Junghans wrote:

I think "significantly" is a matter of personal perception and definition, but as Mary quite rightly pointed out, if your business wouldn´t grow from when you first start, it wouldn´t really be worth it, would it?

Therefore, yes of course, it has grown

My thoughts exactly.

Henry Hinds
Henry Hinds  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 09:15
English to Spanish
+ ...
In memoriam
Yes Jul 14, 2011

I started 40 years ago so yes, it has grown significantly. If not, I would not be here.

Antonio Fajardo
Antonio Fajardo  Identity Verified
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
It has grown BUT Jul 14, 2011

It has grown, but I am not sure it's going to stay in current levels, I suspect I am just in a good period which is about to end... Hopefully I'll be wrong.

Lesley Clarke
Lesley Clarke  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 09:15
Spanish to English
Silly question Jul 15, 2011

I started from zero, of course it has grown, although I also like to think the quality of my translations has something to do with it

Lucie Lessard
Lucie Lessard  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 11:15
English to French
+ ...
But has your rate increased? Jul 15, 2011

MikeTrans wrote:

Hi,

yes it has grown by the many possibilities a translation work is done compared to 15 years ago.
But if you mean Business as Income, then I have to throw out the word "significantly", although the good news, at least for me, is: It much more depends on yourself than ever before.

Greets,
Mike

I agree with Mike, you have to make the effort. It took me 10 months to build my clientèle form zero some 10 years ago. I must say though that I don't seem to be able to pass a certain fee limit. I live in Brazil with 10% inflation (minimum) per year and the USD has had a drop of 40% in value in the past 8 years, if not more. I can't pass all this along to any client (roughly, doubling my rate). I was able to increase business by 40% this year to compensate for income losses but not on translation, on interpretation. Hope things will keep on stable.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Has your business grown since you first started it?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »