Poll: Have you ever felt burnt-out?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
Jul 18, 2011

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "Have you ever felt burnt-out?".

This poll was originally submitted by Mónica Sauza. View the poll results »

Allison Wright (X)
Allison Wright (X)  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 12:38
Yes Jul 18, 2011

The pursuit of excellence does have its downsides.

Gianluca Marras
Gianluca Marras  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 13:38
English to Italian
yes Jul 18, 2011

When ou have to run to close jobs before you go on holiday, and obviously you have to plan everything carefully and you feel like overwhelmed.... or when you have to pay taxes and sleeping and relaxing becomes a sort of long-time-ago memory......

Chun Un
Chun Un  Identity Verified
Macau
Member (2007)
English to Chinese
+ ...
Yes Jul 18, 2011

and I am burnt-out at this very moment.

Marlene Blanshay
Marlene Blanshay  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 07:38
Member (2009)
French to English
+ ...
i said no Jul 18, 2011

but if you mean temporarily fried and needing time off yes....if you mean burnt out and unwilling to work at all anymore....no!

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Yes Jul 18, 2011

There are degrees of burn-out. I quite enjoy the frazzled feeling after a weekend long stint with little sleep once the job is handed in on time as long as I have at least a day to unwind.

Longer stages of weeks or even months of pressing deadlines and demanding clients all in the same relentless hurry can take their toll though... In fact I'm starting to refuse work this week because it's the middle of July already and it seems as though I haven't stopped for more than one day at a
... See more
There are degrees of burn-out. I quite enjoy the frazzled feeling after a weekend long stint with little sleep once the job is handed in on time as long as I have at least a day to unwind.

Longer stages of weeks or even months of pressing deadlines and demanding clients all in the same relentless hurry can take their toll though... In fact I'm starting to refuse work this week because it's the middle of July already and it seems as though I haven't stopped for more than one day at a a time since January.
Collapse

Patricia Prevost
Patricia Prevost  Identity Verified
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
Yes, many times Jul 18, 2011

After a tight deadline or a very demanding translation you just feel you need either to sleep or to rush out of the house. But in a day or two we're all ready to start again, aren't we?

Thayenga
Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
Yes Jul 18, 2011

After a very large and very demanding translation with a just as very tight deadline, my eyes were as small as my fatigue was big. Still, the knowledge of having delivered a quality translation on time and a good night's (rather day's ) sleep quickly replaced the burned-out feeling with a sense of accomplishment.

Christine Andersen
Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
I voted yes Jul 18, 2011

But I considered voting Other, meaning not in this job!

Burnt-out now and then, as in needing more than a good night's sleep or a weekend off to recover, goes with almost any worthwhile job. It is important to take a real holiday and disconnect completely from work now and then.
@ Chun Un: take care, and I hope you soon manage to get the rest you need!

Seriously burnt out, needing a change of direction and not knowing where to begin: I have been there too - and
... See more
But I considered voting Other, meaning not in this job!

Burnt-out now and then, as in needing more than a good night's sleep or a weekend off to recover, goes with almost any worthwhile job. It is important to take a real holiday and disconnect completely from work now and then.
@ Chun Un: take care, and I hope you soon manage to get the rest you need!

Seriously burnt out, needing a change of direction and not knowing where to begin: I have been there too - and recommend anyone who feels like that to stop and get help immediately. You owe it to yourself and everyone else around you, because you may end up unable to make the move you so desperately need.

It is difficult when you have a job that everyone else seems to love, but whatever the job, some people are simply not cut out for it.
Leave it to those who can cope with it and move on. Experience is never wasted, but keep looking until you find the right job for YOU!

Believe me, I've tried several jobs I was more or less suited for, and you soon know when you really find the right one.
Collapse

Yvonne Becker
Yvonne Becker  Identity Verified
Local time: 07:38
English to Spanish
+ ...
Right now Jul 18, 2011

Chun Un wrote:

and I am burnt-out at this very moment.

I feel the same. I am trying to work, but am unable to concentrate and feel like I need a break (but have to finish this translation)

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Have you ever felt burnt-out?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »