Poll: I take a nap...
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
Jul 30, 2011

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "I take a nap...".

View the poll results »

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Local time: 01:49
Spanish to English
+ ...
Nearly every day Jul 30, 2011

In Spain, it's called "siesta" and is recommended by doctors to last no longer than 30 mins as a general health measure.

Allison Wright (X)
Allison Wright (X)  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 00:49
Nearly every day in summer, never in winter Jul 30, 2011

A siesta is almost unavoidable in Portugal in summer. By taking one, the total number of hours worked per day does not diminish, but productivity certainly improves. Normally three times over the limit recommended by Spanish doctors, apparently.

David Wright
David Wright  Identity Verified
Austria
German to English
+ ...
couldn't do without it Jul 30, 2011

blood perssure naturally drops around 14,00-15.00 and a nap (about 1 minue, usually) is the perfect cure

Thayenga
Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
Never Jul 30, 2011

Unless you could call a couple hours of sleep at night - while working on a large project - a nap. Other than that, there's simply too little time for all the things I still want to do to afford the "luxury" of a nap.

Elizabeth Joy Pitt de Morales
Elizabeth Joy Pitt de Morales  Identity Verified
Member (2007)
Spanish to English
+ ...
The sandman... Jul 30, 2011

...attacks me everyday right after I finish lunch.

Resistance is futile!

NASA has determined that 26 minutes is the perfect siesta length, and who am I to argue with the experts?

I wake up energized and ready to work; I've found that the half-hour invested in my siesta is more than compensated by increased productivity and decreased stress, not to mention the intangible benefit of feeling fully rested.

Tina Vonhof (X)
Tina Vonhof (X)
Canada
Local time: 17:49
Dutch to English
+ ...
Never Jul 30, 2011

I never nap unless I'm sick. But in view of the recommendations above, I might give it a try.

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 00:49
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Not for me, thanks! Jul 30, 2011

Can't take naps, I will wake up with a terrible headache!

Gianluca Marras
Gianluca Marras  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
Rarely Jul 30, 2011

If I do in winter I wake up with a terrible headache, in summer 25 mins sometimes, when my little boy doesn't sleep at night....but in summer it is not time wasted, actually I come back at my computer and I work very well.

Elizabeth Novesky
Elizabeth Novesky  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 19:49
Member (2009)
Spanish to English
After-nap headaches Jul 30, 2011

Teresa Borges wrote:

Can't take naps, I will wake up with a terrible headache!

Me too! Especially when it's hot and the nap is too short... better off staying awake and tired, without the pain..

m_temmer
m_temmer  Identity Verified
Local time: 17:49
English to Dutch
+ ...
whenever I feel the need Jul 30, 2011

I take a short nap whenever I get so tired that my work suffers from it. As others have already said: it boosts productivity.

Evonymus (Ewa Kazmierczak)
Evonymus (Ewa Kazmierczak)  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2010)
English to Polish
+ ...
NASA Jul 30, 2011

Elizabeth Joy Pitt de Morales wrote:

NASA has determined that 26 minutes is the perfect siesta length, and who am I to argue with the experts?

I wake up energized and ready to work; I've found that the half-hour invested in my siesta is more than compensated by increased productivity and decreased stress, not to mention the intangible benefit of feeling fully rested.

Thank you Elizabeth! I needed that scientific support

JaneTranslates
JaneTranslates  Identity Verified
Puerto Rico
Local time: 19:49
Spanish to English
+ ...
I am amazed at the poll results. Jul 31, 2011

I'm amazed. I expected to see that at least 2/3 of us take naps regularly. I guess mine are too long, according to NASA. I usually work into the wee hours (2-3 am, when it's cool and quiet), sleep as long as the telephone allows, then nap for a couple of hours in the late afternoon. I usually wake up, on my own, at almost exactly the right time to make a total of 8 hours of sleep.

Jane

Muriel Vasconcellos
Muriel Vasconcellos  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 16:49
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
...at my desk Jul 31, 2011

I just woke up, in fact. Lately I've been falling asleep regularly in front of the computer. Apparently my chair is too comfortable.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: I take a nap...

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »