Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Poll: How many CAT tools do you have installed on your primary computer right now?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
Jul 31, 2011

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "How many CAT tools do you have installed on your primary computer right now?".

This poll was originally submitted by Jenn Mercer. View the poll results »

Mateusz Batelt
Mateusz Batelt  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 08:57
German to Polish
+ ...
Two. Jul 31, 2011

As a Linux user, OmegaT and Wordfast.

Paula Hernández
Paula Hernández
United Kingdom
Local time: 07:57
English to Spanish
+ ...
Three Jul 31, 2011

and thinking of a fourth one.

Mary Worby
Mary Worby  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 07:57
German to English
+ ...
Three Jul 31, 2011

Essentially, I use Trados (Studio 09). I also have MemoQ which I use for one customer (and was provided by that customer). I have also recently been given a Transit licence, which I have installed and looked at briefly but not yet used in anger.

Michael Harris
Michael Harris  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2006)
German to English
3 Jul 31, 2011

Trados (2007 & 2009), Across and SDLX

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Two Jul 31, 2011

However, they are not indispensable.

Eser Perkins
Eser Perkins  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 10:57
English to Turkish
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
1 Jul 31, 2011

By the way, I noticed that the "none" option is missing. I know many translators who don't use any CAT tools. I don't do technical translations and don't really need an advanced CAT tool or a well-maintained TM. But I like having all I do recorded in a TM which is some sort of an instant backup. So I use mine basically not to lose my work whenever my little monster decides to come and hit the power button of my PC all of a sudden.

Christine Andersen
Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
Depends how you count, but I make it four! Jul 31, 2011

Trados 2007, Studio 2009 and SDL Edit, plus Wordfast.

I use the first two regularly, and regard Wordfast as a backup. I liked it for a time, but now use it only for PowerPoint.
Most of my TMs need updating if I am going to use it seriously again, but it saved a number of jobs for me when I updated Trados from 2006 to 2007 and Trados seized up!

One agency insists I should use SDL Edit for their jobs, and it works, but I have not used it enough to have any strong
... See more
Trados 2007, Studio 2009 and SDL Edit, plus Wordfast.

I use the first two regularly, and regard Wordfast as a backup. I liked it for a time, but now use it only for PowerPoint.
Most of my TMs need updating if I am going to use it seriously again, but it saved a number of jobs for me when I updated Trados from 2006 to 2007 and Trados seized up!

One agency insists I should use SDL Edit for their jobs, and it works, but I have not used it enough to have any strong feelings about it. I have not dared to try exporting to Trados, which is an option on the menus - I am not certain that I could get the files back in the formats required by the client for delivery.

For a total non-nerd, I seem to have a lot of CATS, and we have not even mentioned Multiterm!
Collapse

Amy Duncan (X)
Amy Duncan (X)  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 04:57
Portuguese to English
+ ...
0 Jul 31, 2011

There was a 0 option, and that's the one I picked.

Gudrun Wolfrath
Gudrun Wolfrath  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
None. Jul 31, 2011

Gudrun

Henry Hinds
Henry Hinds  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 01:57
English to Spanish
+ ...
In memoriam
NONE (0) Jul 31, 2011

No CATS here.

Steven Sidore
Steven Sidore  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
Many Jul 31, 2011

Wordfast Classic, Wordfast Pro, Trados 2007 + 2009, Transit, Passolo, OmegaT. I suppose by default SDL is also on there, although I've never used it. I have Across on the laptop as well, but not on the main PC.

isabelmurill (X)
isabelmurill (X)
English to Spanish
+ ...
0 Jul 31, 2011

0: This was the option I choose.
I translate books, so I don't need the help of any CAT tool for my daily work.

Vneditor
Vneditor  Identity Verified
Vietnam
Local time: 14:57
English to Vietnamese
+ ...
3 Jul 31, 2011

My preferred tool is OmegaT, but I also use Trados and Wordfast for people who require them.

Nixie Adams, M.A.
Nixie Adams, M.A.
Australia
Local time: 17:57
Member (2006)
German to English
+ ...
Five Aug 1, 2011

MemoQ, Across, Transit NXT, SDL Trados 2007 and 2009.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: How many CAT tools do you have installed on your primary computer right now?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »