Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Poll: How soon do you invoice your client(s) after finishing a job?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
Aug 3, 2011

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "How soon do you invoice your client(s) after finishing a job?".

This poll was originally submitted by Heather Shaw. View the poll results »

Carla Catolino
Carla Catolino
Italy
Local time: 05:46
Member (2008)
Italian to English
+ ...
At the end of the month Aug 3, 2011

I invoice everything at the end of the month. This means that I might invoice things after 29/30 days or I might invoice things on the same day.

Interlangue (X)
Interlangue (X)
Angola
English to French
+ ...
Other Aug 3, 2011

New or one shot clients: immediately.
Regulars: end of month.
One overseas regular client: when the invoice is big enough to cover the bank fees but at least once a year.

Mary Worby
Mary Worby  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 04:46
German to English
+ ...
Also at the end of the month Aug 3, 2011

I also invoice at the end of the month, producing one invoice per client for all jobs completed within the month. Generally, the only exception is new clients, who I invoice when I submit the translation in order to get the payment wheels moving more quickly.

Angus Stewart
Angus Stewart  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
French to English
+ ...
Immediately Aug 3, 2011

My current practice is always to issue invoices immediately, since I find it more convenient to keep my administration up to date by dealing with this at the same time as submitting my translation to the client. It also means that I am more likely to get paid earlier.

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Immediately! Aug 3, 2011

Except for one regular client: at the end of the month.

Sophie Dzhygir
Sophie Dzhygir  Identity Verified
France
German to French
+ ...
Other Aug 3, 2011

End of month for regular clients.
As soon as possible for new clients.
Sometimes over several months if the total amount is too low.

Gianluca Marras
Gianluca Marras  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
other Aug 3, 2011

1 client which gives me most of my work: end of the month
others: immediately or in case I have more than one job in a time range of 15 days, at the end of the last job

Veronica Lupascu
Veronica Lupascu  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Dutch to Romanian
+ ...
Other Aug 3, 2011

Depending on the client. I usually send my invoices immediately or along with the translation itself. This is also usually agreed upon in the PO.

But there is one client that paid me in advance for future projects. Then I only issue the invoice and register the payment for each project and send a statement of accounts, so that the client knows the amount left.

Then there is this client that sends me several volume translations each week. First we agreed to send invoic
... See more
Depending on the client. I usually send my invoices immediately or along with the translation itself. This is also usually agreed upon in the PO.

But there is one client that paid me in advance for future projects. Then I only issue the invoice and register the payment for each project and send a statement of accounts, so that the client knows the amount left.

Then there is this client that sends me several volume translations each week. First we agreed to send invoices immediately and now I suggested to send an invoice for each week.

I am not yet lost in my invoices. I use Quick Books, a professional accounting software, that helps me to manage my projects. I write the project details for each client and it produces the invoices. Like this I don´t forget to issue invoices.
Collapse

Michael Harris
Michael Harris  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2006)
German to English
Other Aug 3, 2011

When I have enough time to get them written. Some customers want them straight away which I try to do otherwise, at the end of the week.

Alexandra Speirs
Alexandra Speirs  Identity Verified
Italian to English
+ ...
depends Aug 3, 2011

Sophie Dzhygir wrote:

End of month for regular clients.
As soon as possible for new clients.
Sometimes over several months if the total amount is too low.

exactly!

Ana Escaleir (X)
Ana Escaleir (X)  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 00:46
French to Portuguese
+ ...
It depends... Aug 3, 2011

*Individual clients:

invoice and payment confirmed before translation

*New clients (agencies and companies):

50% deposit + 50% on deliver or

(short translations) Immediate: I send translation together with invoice to be paid within 7 days

* Regular clients (agencies and companies):
Invoice: First day of month
Payment must be done by the end of month or

follow the instructions of the agency

Marlene Blanshay
Marlene Blanshay  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 23:46
Member (2009)
French to English
+ ...
once a month Aug 3, 2011

with new clients, I'll invoice them right away for the first job.
With regular clients I invoice at the end of the month. For some of them, I do a number of small, flat rate or hourly jobs so one invoice is better and easier.

Oliver Lawrence
Oliver Lawrence  Identity Verified
Italy
Italian to English
+ ...
Not necessarily ;) Aug 3, 2011

Angus Stewart wrote:

My current practice is always to issue invoices immediately, since ...it also means that I am more likely to get paid earlier.

Depends on the customer; if you issued an invoice on August 2nd, most agencies would probably pay it as if dated August 31st, anyway. Moreover, if you then get another job from the same agency for delivery later in the same month, they wouldn't like having to deal with two invoices and may indeed ask for the earlier one to be cancelled, thus creating rework for the translator.

Robert Forstag
Robert Forstag  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 23:46
Spanish to English
+ ...
Usually immediately Aug 3, 2011

Like Angus, I feel that immediate invoicing is the best way to keep track of things.

But in certain cases, when it seems more "polite and prudent" to allow a couple of days for a client to raise questions/concerns regarding particularly large projects, I will wait a couple days to see if any issues are brought up before invoicing.

As for those (in my experience) few agencies who request a single invoice at the end of the month, it doesn't seem too much to ask them to a
... See more
Like Angus, I feel that immediate invoicing is the best way to keep track of things.

But in certain cases, when it seems more "polite and prudent" to allow a couple of days for a client to raise questions/concerns regarding particularly large projects, I will wait a couple days to see if any issues are brought up before invoicing.

As for those (in my experience) few agencies who request a single invoice at the end of the month, it doesn't seem too much to ask them to add the amounts together of individually submitted invoices for the purposes of issuing a combined check.
Collapse

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: How soon do you invoice your client(s) after finishing a job?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »