Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >
Poll: Can you imagine your life as a translator without the Internet?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
Aug 4, 2011

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "Can you imagine your life as a translator without the Internet?".

This poll was originally submitted by Fernanda Rocha. View the poll results »

Ligia Dias Costa
Ligia Dias Costa  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 07:44
English to Portuguese
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Yes Aug 4, 2011

Being a translator for more than 20 years, I actually translated without Internet or emails, or the whole global world.

Ligia

Carla Catolino
Carla Catolino
Italy
Local time: 08:44
Member (2008)
Italian to English
+ ...
Research Aug 4, 2011

As a translator we need to have some knowledge on the topic of the document at hand. I find that internet is a good place to do my research when I am not quite sure of what is going on in the document.
Plus, internet is also the place where I go if I can't find the translation or the meaning of the word that I am stuck on.
So, I think that translation is a big part of a translator's life and I personally would find it difficult to live without internet!

Jack Doughty
Jack Doughty  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Russian to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Yes Aug 4, 2011

As for Ligia. I have been a translator of one kind or another since 1953 and freelancer since 1965, so I have far more experience of working without the Internet than with it. But I'd hate to go back to being without it now!

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Yes Aug 4, 2011

I used to do the odd translation when I was studying/working in TEFL 20 years ago so it's not inconceivable, but not in the same way as things are done nowadays. I even remember when a friend went full time and invested a hefty amount of cash in a fax machine and a PC, which, coupled with his shelves groaning under the weight of a whole phalanx of dictionaries, made him pretty much "state of the art".

Interlangue (X)
Interlangue (X)
Angola
English to French
+ ...
Other Aug 4, 2011

I HAD a life as a translator before the Internet (I even had a part time life as a translator before the age of the computer).
It was not always easy but it was not impossible.
Clients did not have Internet either and were perhaps more realistic and less whimsical, about deadlines for instance

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Me too, but I would hate to go back to those days... Aug 4, 2011

Ligia Dias Costa wrote:

Being a translator for more than 20 years, I actually translated without Internet or emails, or the whole global world.

Ligia

Gianluca Marras
Gianluca Marras  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
No ... Aug 4, 2011

not now at least, I started doing translations before the Internet, and obviously now I can't think of doing this job without the internet, basically because I would not be able to go back to those times

Miroslav Jeftic
Miroslav Jeftic  Identity Verified
Member (2009)
English to Serbian
+ ...
No Aug 4, 2011

Of course, I could translate without the internet, and probably I could also use a goose quill and an ink bottle under the candle light, but I'd rather not

Giuseppina Gatta, MA (Hons)
Giuseppina Gatta, MA (Hons)
English to Italian
+ ...
Yes, but... Aug 4, 2011

...only if the Internet did not exist at all, i.e. I could imagine myself as a translator in the past, as translators have always existed since Babel Tower.

If I had to be the only one to work without the Internet and in the present day, then no, I would not do it.

Allison Wright (X)
Allison Wright (X)  Identity Verified
Portugal
No, not any more! Aug 4, 2011

It is not hard for me to remember working without the Internet either.

I am sure many of us perform translations of countless bits and pieces throughout the day without reference to anything that the Internet has to offer too.

It is comforting and very convenient to have this resource immediately at one's fingertips though - for the tricky parts that in the old days would require us to "sleep on it and hope the answer would reveal itself in the morning"....
See more
It is not hard for me to remember working without the Internet either.

I am sure many of us perform translations of countless bits and pieces throughout the day without reference to anything that the Internet has to offer too.

It is comforting and very convenient to have this resource immediately at one's fingertips though - for the tricky parts that in the old days would require us to "sleep on it and hope the answer would reveal itself in the morning".
Collapse

Evans (X)
Evans (X)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Long live the internet. Aug 4, 2011

Like many others, I can well remember the translator's life before the internet. I can even remember in my early days as a translator receiving all my work by post and typing the translators on an electric (not even electronic) typewriter. Who would look back at those days with much nostalgia? I did get to spend hours in libraries searching for information that I can now get with the click of a few buttons, which had its, albeit limited, charms.

Translators have been around for a lo
... See more
Like many others, I can well remember the translator's life before the internet. I can even remember in my early days as a translator receiving all my work by post and typing the translators on an electric (not even electronic) typewriter. Who would look back at those days with much nostalgia? I did get to spend hours in libraries searching for information that I can now get with the click of a few buttons, which had its, albeit limited, charms.

Translators have been around for a long long time and we have always managed with the tools at our disposal. I am happy to make the most of what is now available to me to help me produce the best work I possibly can. So I say, long live the internet!
Collapse

Ritu Bhanot
Ritu Bhanot  Identity Verified
France
French to Hindi
+ ...
Yes Aug 4, 2011

I don't need to imagine as I still remember those days... when I was much younger (a beginner) and used to submit handwritten translations... then I upgraded to a portable typewriter (I love my little Godrej (Red and off-white) type-writer).

Marlene Blanshay
Marlene Blanshay  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 02:44
Member (2009)
French to English
+ ...
hard to imagine Aug 4, 2011

I did do some translations before the net, but now that it exists I'm able to do more! it's been invaluable for finding clients and networking, not to mention glossaries, software, etc. I guess i can imagine being without it but it would not be anywhere near as productive.

Michael Harris
Michael Harris  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2006)
German to English
No Aug 4, 2011

not really, I would exist but it would be more work on research, etc.

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Can you imagine your life as a translator without the Internet?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »