Poll: Which is your usual day off in the week?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
Aug 6, 2011

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "Which is your usual day off in the week?".

View the poll results »

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 01:31
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
It totally depends... Aug 6, 2011

... on the workload! I might take 1-2 days off some weeks and then go a couple weeks with no days off...

Patricia Charnet
Patricia Charnet
United Kingdom
Member (2009)
English to French
depend Aug 6, 2011

it depends on the workload, and of the weather if nice tend to have a day off, if the weather is awful, I find some work to do

Mary Worby
Mary Worby  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
German to English
+ ...
I don't work weekends Aug 6, 2011

I take the weekends off if I can but don't take regular days off in the week. I just grab the time off when the workload allows.

Thayenga
Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 02:31
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
It depends Aug 6, 2011

Teresa Borges wrote:

... on the workload! I might take 1-2 days off some weeks and then go a couple weeks with no days off...

It also depends on other factors, mainly non-work related appointments that must be kept.

[Edited at 2011-08-06 10:48 GMT]

R. Alex Jenkins
R. Alex Jenkins  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 21:31
Member (2006)
Portuguese to English
+ ...
It's not so easy to choose... Aug 6, 2011

...but if I can have one day off per week, it's Sunday. It's the day that I least like working too; a day when everyone else is at their most relaxed and trying not to think too much about Monday. Monday? Just another day to me, as a freelancer

Yaotl Altan
Yaotl Altan  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 18:31
Member (2006)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Mondays Aug 6, 2011

Sometimes Mondays because cinemas are empty

Gianluca Marras
Gianluca Marras  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
none Aug 6, 2011

because on Saturdays and Sundays I work from 530 am till 9, and in winter, when my children sleep also from 2 to 5 pm.
So basically no days off.
If the work load allows, Sunday, so I can spend my time with my family

isabelmurill (X)
isabelmurill (X)
English to Spanish
+ ...
It depends Aug 6, 2011

It depends on the workload.

Some weeks I can take one day off, 2 at the most. But then I can go for several weeks with no days off... just as it happens right now!

Joy Gehner
Joy Gehner
United States
Local time: 17:31
French to English
+ ...
Weekends are precious Aug 6, 2011

I've been doing this long enough that I have earned my weekends free - and they make all the difference to my sanity. I would never take weekend work these days, except a couple of pre-planned bouts of heavy work that come back every year (events reports, etc.), for trusted clients. I made this decision two years ago, and the pleasure of saying "no" to last-minute Friday requests is unparalleled still

Jenn Mercer
Jenn Mercer  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 20:31
Member (2009)
French to English
Usual? Aug 6, 2011

I'm not sure that I have any type of usual routine. I take off from 0 to 7 days per week, although I prefer not to be at either extreme. If I worked 60 hrs the week before, I will plan to take a few weekends (or even weeks) off. If things have been slow, I will warn the family in advance that I will be taking on weekend work until I have caught up on my income goals.

Henry Hinds
Henry Hinds  Identity Verified
United States
English to Spanish
+ ...
In memoriam
Whenever (Other) Aug 6, 2011

Workloads are quite variable in our profession, so I can be off any day there is no work, or I can be working 7 days a week, 12-15 hours per day. I love having a nice project I can finish off on a weekend, and no time or day is sacred for me. There are generally less interruptions on weekends, thus enabling me to be more productive.

I consider myself to be semi-retired, so a good part of the time I live the life of a retired man as I rightly should. Sometimes I will take off on a tr
... See more
Workloads are quite variable in our profession, so I can be off any day there is no work, or I can be working 7 days a week, 12-15 hours per day. I love having a nice project I can finish off on a weekend, and no time or day is sacred for me. There are generally less interruptions on weekends, thus enabling me to be more productive.

I consider myself to be semi-retired, so a good part of the time I live the life of a retired man as I rightly should. Sometimes I will take off on a trip, but during the trip I am in touch, and if work comes in, it gets done. I am always flexible on that and I take care of my clients.
Collapse

Muriel Vasconcellos
Muriel Vasconcellos  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 17:31
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
It depends on the workload Aug 6, 2011

I often work through the week-ends. If I had family, it would be different.

On the other hand, during the week I take time off for appointments, getting the car fixed, etc. - all those obligations that require contact with people during the work week. That flexibility is the beauty of freelancing.

Claire Cox
Claire Cox
United Kingdom
French to English
+ ...
Quite Aug 6, 2011

Joy Daniel wrote:

I've been doing this long enough that I have earned my weekends free

Yes, I feel the same - and your post jumped out at me, Joy, as my maiden name was Daniel - unusual to see it without the s!

That said, I do agree with Muriel that freelancing is all about flexibility and I do a number of things during the day in the week - tennis, a dance class - that mean I sometimes work in the evenings to catch up. I used to think that keeping weekends sacrosanct as such didn't matter, but as I've got busier, I've found that clients expect you to be there during the week and that it makes sense to take the weekends off as you're unlikely to field calls from clients on a Saturday or Sunday. As a result, it's now quite rare for me to work at weekends - unless I can see particularly wet weather is forecast and I've nothing else planned, in which case I'd rather be translating anyway!

When my children were small, I always tried not to work at weekends, although sometimes it was a good opportunity to get on with work when my husband was there to look after the children.

m_temmer
m_temmer  Identity Verified
English to Dutch
+ ...
I try to have the whole weekend off Aug 6, 2011

I'm amazed that so many people don't take even one day per week. How many hours do they work then? I would just be exhausted.

July and August are always crazy months and I work as hard as I can. But for the rest of the year, I try to keep my weekends free.

Why would you not take at least one day off? For financial reasons? If one really has to work 7 days per week to live a decent life, I think something is terribly wrong...

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Which is your usual day off in the week?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »