Poll: Your top tip for beating wrist pain is:
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
Ricardo Gouveia
Ricardo Gouveia  Identity Verified
Local time: 07:05
English to Portuguese
+ ...
No pains for now Aug 18, 2011

I have also already been frequently confronted with this question, however, some people say that I never feel wrist pains due to being young and often doing sports.
Since I played tennis for some years (and am pretending to return) I did some major physical exercises and preparation for my wrists, and compared to the effort of a 2-hours-long game, I have never had wrist problems while working on the computer.

I would recommend some regular wrist exercises, and I have already u
... See more
I have also already been frequently confronted with this question, however, some people say that I never feel wrist pains due to being young and often doing sports.
Since I played tennis for some years (and am pretending to return) I did some major physical exercises and preparation for my wrists, and compared to the effort of a 2-hours-long game, I have never had wrist problems while working on the computer.

I would recommend some regular wrist exercises, and I have already used a funny thing named Powerball which is good for people who work/play and do major efforts with their wrists (like golf and tennis players, and other activities in which the wrists are very involved).
Collapse

Marlene Blanshay
Marlene Blanshay  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 02:05
Member (2009)
French to English
+ ...
exercises Aug 18, 2011

I used to get more pain from using the mouse years ago, because they weren't very well designed. I had a pad with a wrist rest. Then using a trackball was better, but now with the touchpad i only have pain if i use it for a lot of hours. I do exercises like wrist curls and others such as: press your hand against the wall with the fingers pointing down. for a better stretch, pull the thumb up. Make fists and bend them inward at the wrist, toward the inside of your arm.
Make a really tight
... See more
I used to get more pain from using the mouse years ago, because they weren't very well designed. I had a pad with a wrist rest. Then using a trackball was better, but now with the touchpad i only have pain if i use it for a lot of hours. I do exercises like wrist curls and others such as: press your hand against the wall with the fingers pointing down. for a better stretch, pull the thumb up. Make fists and bend them inward at the wrist, toward the inside of your arm.
Make a really tight fist and hold it for 30 seconds. Then spread your fingers open as wide as you can and hold that for 30 seconds. Repeat a few times.
Collapse

Gennady Lapardin
Gennady Lapardin  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 09:05
Italian to Russian
+ ...
exercises Aug 18, 2011

There is a Russian nursery (or so) school rhyme for tired fingers and wrist, when after long writing, the whole class stand up and recite while clenching and unclenching fingers. The general meaning is this: We wrote, we wrote, our little fingers are tired. We take a short break, then go back writing.
In English should be similar rhyme too, I guess.

Gudrun Maydorn (X)
Gudrun Maydorn (X)  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 08:05
English to German
+ ...
Voice recognition software plus vertical left-hand mouse Aug 18, 2011

I use DNS where suitable. In addition I started to relieve my wrists by changing mouse hands several times a day. Later I switched to using only my left hand for the (conventional ) mouse, because being right-handed I use my right hand for so many other actions too.

My best investment early this year was a vertical left-hand mouse (from Evoluent). The natural arm position is simply great and it took me next to no time to get used to it. Amongst its features is a middle key which, wh
... See more
I use DNS where suitable. In addition I started to relieve my wrists by changing mouse hands several times a day. Later I switched to using only my left hand for the (conventional ) mouse, because being right-handed I use my right hand for so many other actions too.

My best investment early this year was a vertical left-hand mouse (from Evoluent). The natural arm position is simply great and it took me next to no time to get used to it. Amongst its features is a middle key which, when pressed once, acts as a double click.

[Bearbeitet am 2011-08-18 11:19 GMT]
Collapse

María Fernanda Pignataro
María Fernanda Pignataro  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 03:05
Member (2010)
English to Spanish
+ ...
list of keyboard shortcuts Aug 31, 2011

Hi!
Some years ago I used to suffer from a persistent pain in my wrist.
I later discovered it was from using the mouse continuously.
At that time I took a course on Windows and Office optimal performance which included some ergonomic tips to avoid using the mouse too much, by replacing it with keyboard shortcuts.
I printed out the key combinations for Windows and Word, and pinned them on the wall in front of me, in the room where I work. Well, in the beginning it was bra
... See more
Hi!
Some years ago I used to suffer from a persistent pain in my wrist.
I later discovered it was from using the mouse continuously.
At that time I took a course on Windows and Office optimal performance which included some ergonomic tips to avoid using the mouse too much, by replacing it with keyboard shortcuts.
I printed out the key combinations for Windows and Word, and pinned them on the wall in front of me, in the room where I work. Well, in the beginning it was brain wrecking! It was so slow... I made every effort not to use the mouse, but instead use the key combinations for nearly every function. A week later or so, I had memorized most of the
relevant functions I used mostly, and that worked wonderfully for me. The wrist pain has never come back since then!

I think the key shortcuts for Windows and Word can be found online.
E.g. http://www.ergocanada.com/ergo/tips/keyboard_shortcuts_windows_xp.html (for Windows XP).

Hope this may be of help.

Kind regards!

Fernanda.
Collapse

Inge Luus
Inge Luus  Identity Verified
South Africa
Local time: 08:05
Member (2008)
German to English
+ ...
A bigger mouse Oct 7, 2011

Some years ago I kept on getting terrible wrist pain espcially when working for long stretches at a time. Wrist supports as suggested by my physio didn't help either. My wrist pain stopped as soon as I got a bigger mouse and my hand was no longer so cramped up.

Voice Finger (speech recognition software) Oct 8, 2011

I use a speech recognition software called Voice Finger (http://voicefinger.cozendey.com) that healed my wrist pain completely. It has lots of voice commands designed especifically to heal tendonitis and other disabilities.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Your top tip for beating wrist pain is:

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »