Poll: Is there a "perfect" moment every day in which you are more productive?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
Aug 20, 2011

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "Is there a "perfect" moment every day in which you are more productive?".

This poll was originally submitted by Marina Puertas. View the poll results »

Nicole Schnell
Nicole Schnell  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 20:20
English to German
+ ...
In memoriam
Two peak times Aug 20, 2011

Once from 11am until 1pm and again from 5pm until 7pm. Like a clockwork. During those hours I get about 80% of my workload done. Don't ask me why. It just works.

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Local time: 04:20
Spanish to English
+ ...
Other Aug 20, 2011

On a personal level, I am probably most productive in the morning after a good night's sleep - but this productivity is affected by fact that from 10.00 to 14.00 is the slot when I have to deal with most admin, emails, calls and the like (not to mention shopping, daytime chores etc).

So, in terms of translating per se (the actual nuts and bolts, the wordsmithery, i.e. not PR and admin), I am probably equally prolific, if not more so, from the late evening until the small hours whe
... See more
On a personal level, I am probably most productive in the morning after a good night's sleep - but this productivity is affected by fact that from 10.00 to 14.00 is the slot when I have to deal with most admin, emails, calls and the like (not to mention shopping, daytime chores etc).

So, in terms of translating per se (the actual nuts and bolts, the wordsmithery, i.e. not PR and admin), I am probably equally prolific, if not more so, from the late evening until the small hours when all the non-translation tasks are out of the way and things quieten down.

[Edited at 2011-08-20 09:32 GMT]

[Edited at 2011-08-20 09:32 GMT]
Collapse

Michal Surmař
Michal Surmař  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Member (2010)
English to Czech
+ ...
For me, definitely in the morning ... Aug 20, 2011

... then a slow and gradual decline in productivity in the afternoon. Comes evening and night = no productivity at all.

Michal.

Michael Harris
Michael Harris  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2006)
German to English
Generally in the morning Aug 20, 2011

but I am frequently disturbed and prefer to work in the evenings.

Thayenga
Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
Other Aug 20, 2011

Every and every moment of the day can be perfect.
It all depends on the "circumstances" and one's
viewpoint.

Claudia Luque Bedregal
Claudia Luque Bedregal  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Spanish
+ ...
It varies Aug 20, 2011

It varies. But I'm definitely more productive when I'm alone at home

Muriel Vasconcellos
Muriel Vasconcellos  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 20:20
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Same as Neil Aug 20, 2011

neilmac wrote:
On a personal level, I am probably most productive in the morning after a good night's sleep...
So, in terms of translating per se (the actual nuts and bolts, the wordsmithery,..., I am probably equally prolific, if not more so, from the late evening until the small hours when all the non-translation tasks are out of the way and things quieten down.

If left on my own, I am better at problem-solving in the morning. Better yet, if I have slept on a translation problem, the solution is waiting for me when I wake up. Sometimes my productivity drops when I've been stuck on a piece. I don't realize it, but everything after that slows down because I'm worried about the piece I couldn't handle. Sleep not only solves problems; it creates distance from them and resets the brain.

During the day, I get distracted until things settle down in the evening. Distractions come from many sources: dogs, guests, friendly neighbors, salespeople, phonecalls, e-mails.

E-mails are a big distraction. I have clients, family, friends, and contacts in many time zones. If I've posted a question on KudoZ, those discussions can go through the night - but at least they're relevant to what I'm doing.

I can't blame everything on distractions. My mind wanders, too.

[Edited at 2011-08-20 18:35 GMT]

Susanna Martoni
Susanna Martoni  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2009)
Spanish to Italian
+ ...
No Aug 21, 2011

A productive perfect moment does not really exist.

Once it was early in the morning, then late at night; but it depends on workloads, family tasks etc.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Is there a "perfect" moment every day in which you are more productive?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »