Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Poll: Do you use style sheets when translating?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff

Isabelle F. BRUCHER (X)  Identity Verified
Belgium
Local time: 21:53
English to French
+ ...
EU guidelines for translations into French Aug 27, 2011

All I know is that for translations for the EU institutions into French, they ask capital letters to have their accent when needed.

So the translator has to enter CODES so as to quickly produce an "A" or an "E" with an accent (or an I, an O, or an U, but not at the start of a word (according to my experience), only within words entirely written in capital letters).

The first time you use such an accented capital letter, you have to click on "INSERT" - "SYMBOLS", you s
... See more
All I know is that for translations for the EU institutions into French, they ask capital letters to have their accent when needed.

So the translator has to enter CODES so as to quickly produce an "A" or an "E" with an accent (or an I, an O, or an U, but not at the start of a word (according to my experience), only within words entirely written in capital letters).

The first time you use such an accented capital letter, you have to click on "INSERT" - "SYMBOLS", you select a font, choose the needed accented capital letter, then click on the "SHORTCUT KEY" button to create a CODE.

You can also use the AUTOCORRECT function of MS Office (under "TOOLS").

For example, I insert an "A" with accent in my MS Word sheet (with the "Insert" - "Symbols" function), select it, click on "Tools", then on "Autocorrect Options", the "A" with accent will automatically find itself in the column on the right (= the "result" of the code I shall insert in the left column). In the left column I inserted "aac" (without the inverted comas of course). So, at the beginning of a sentence, when I have to type "A ce moment-là,..." with an accented "A", I first type "aac" and I get an accented "A".

I find it easier than trying to remember, gee, which Control and/or Caps Lock and/or "a" keys should I press again ?

In aac, the "c" is for "capitalize". I use the Autocorrect function a lot when I translate in MS Word. It's a sort of CAT tool - and it's for FREE, guys! No expensive updates every two years or so!...
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Do you use style sheets when translating?

Advanced search

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search