Poll: Do you usually have a quiet spell in a year?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
Sep 3, 2011

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "Do you usually have a quiet spell in a year?".

This poll was originally submitted by Lenah Susianty. View the poll results »

Catherine Winzer
Catherine Winzer  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 19:56
German to English
+ ...
It varies Sep 3, 2011

The year is usually dotted with particularly busy and somewhat quieter spells. I answered "the third quarter" as the summer often seems a little quieter when many people are presumably out of the office, but there's no very regular pattern.

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Other Sep 3, 2011

They key word is "usually". It used to be that January-February was slacker for me, but in the last 2 years I have had enough work to keep me busy and out of trouble all year round, and I've learned to take the opportunity of any gaps in demand to do things I would be too busy to get round to if working flat out - which may often be simple things like household repairs and chores, going shopping or having a haircut (or learning how W7 works without tearing my hair out).

In summer,
... See more
They key word is "usually". It used to be that January-February was slacker for me, but in the last 2 years I have had enough work to keep me busy and out of trouble all year round, and I've learned to take the opportunity of any gaps in demand to do things I would be too busy to get round to if working flat out - which may often be simple things like household repairs and chores, going shopping or having a haircut (or learning how W7 works without tearing my hair out).

In summer, many translators take their holidays and the offers from agencies thus tend to increase, so if I can be bothered working through summer, I can usually do that too.
Collapse

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 18:56
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Likewise Sep 3, 2011

Catherine Knight wrote:

The year is usually dotted with particularly busy and somewhat quieter spells. I answered "the third quarter" as the summer often seems a little quieter when many people are presumably out of the office, but there's no very regular pattern.

In the last ten years or so, the first quarter has been the busiest by far for me, and the third quarter the quiet one, but there is no regular pattern...

[Edited at 2011-09-03 09:18 GMT]

Interlangue (X)
Interlangue (X)
Angola
English to French
+ ...
Other Sep 3, 2011

Used to be "no" or "when I take off for a holiday" but this year, the first quarter was VERY quiet - first time in 20+ years.

Simon Bruni
Simon Bruni  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2009)
Spanish to English
QuietER maybe Sep 3, 2011

I have spells when I am turning down less work, but only very rarely spells when I am not at full capacity. That said I do have spells when I am compelled to accept the more boring and/or poorly paid jobs.

Chun Un
Chun Un  Identity Verified
Macau
Member (2007)
English to Chinese
+ ...
No Sep 3, 2011

I haven't noticed any quiet spells since I started my career as a freenlance. Summers have been quite busy actually (this summer in particular) presumably because many translators take time off at this time.

Muriel Vasconcellos
Muriel Vasconcellos  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 10:56
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
No - almost never a break Sep 3, 2011

It's rare that I don't have two or three jobs in the pipeline that clients are willing to wait for. If I want to take a break, I have to announce it. I'm already only working for my favorite clients, and about twice a year I have to ask for a week or so off. It's exhausting, and I'm looking for a way to cut back.

Lenah Susianty
Lenah Susianty  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2004)
English to Indonesian
+ ...
this summer it was busy too Sep 3, 2011

This summer was a bit strange for me too! I did lots of work during my holidays! then I went back home and 2 weeks gone without any work at all! The problem is because I never know when it will be quiet and when it will be busy, I always have to accept jobs whenever they come... (thinking they might be any job offer in the future...)

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Do you usually have a quiet spell in a year?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »