Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Poll: When translating, how often do you take a break on average?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff

ProZ.com Staff
Local time: 22:22
SITE STAFF
Sep 26, 2011

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "When translating, how often do you take a break on average?".

This poll was originally submitted by Antonio Fajardo. View the poll results »

Direct link Reply with quote

Mary Worby  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 06:22
German to English
+ ...
As and when Sep 26, 2011

Depends on how much work I have to do, how often the phone rings or the doorbell rings, how often I need to get up for other things!

Teresa Borges
Portugal
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Likewise! Sep 26, 2011

Mary Worby wrote:

Depends on how much work I have to do, how often the phone rings or the doorbell rings, how often I need to get up for other things!

Phillippa May Bennett
Portugal
Portuguese to English
Exactly! Sep 26, 2011

Mary Worby wrote:

Or when the dog needs a walk

[Edited at 2011-09-26 10:12 GMT]

Mihaela Buruiana  Identity Verified
Romania
Local time: 08:22
Member (2011)
English to Romanian
+ ...
It also depends on... Sep 26, 2011

... how interesting or difficult the text is, what my mood is that day, what else happens around me or in the world and, most importantly, on what the deadline is!!!

patriciacharnet  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English to French
+ ...
depends on docs and if busy day Sep 26, 2011

on average every hour - 90 minutes

also I've read that for people who work long hours on the computer, it's good to get outside because your eyes focus on long distance vision which gives them a relief from short distance vision work.

and going outside is good when stuck indoors for long projects too

neilmac  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 07:22
Spanish to English
+ ...
Other Sep 26, 2011

Who's counting? Probably not often enough.
In fact, right now I am trying to drag myself away from the PC to go to the post office etc but am enjoying the work so it's a bit of a struggle...

Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
Other Sep 26, 2011

When my concentration begins to wear thin to avoid mistakes, and of course deadline permitting. Usually my body tells me when a break is inevitable. And it works better than any clock or page/word count.

Noni Gilbert  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Scheduled breaks, perhaps not an exact science Sep 26, 2011

I think I do have a vague idea of when I should be scheduling my breaks (bottom of the page / end of section / certain number of words translated / leg gone to sleep) but I very rarely have the chance to see if this is good time allocation, since I am invariably interrupted. There seems to be no way of avoiding these interruptions - which I won't go into, because that would be a different thread!

Best wishes today in particular to all those working alongside children / alongside spouses / at home / alongside parallel business activities / pets etc etc

As I muse on this one I am editing to ask myself if it's maybe the other way round, that I occasionally I get a break when I can settle down to work (haing a particularly trying afternoon...)

[Edited at 2011-09-26 16:04 GMT]

Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
Based on bodily needs Sep 26, 2011

Basically, I take a break whenever my body requires emptying or filling, or when it tells me it's had enough i.e. some ache or pain and/or a loss of concentration.

I don't think breaking at the end of n words would suit me. If the words are flowing, where's the sense in stopping? If the flow has dried up, where's the sense in continuing? Of course, in the latter case the break might have to be very short if the deadline is looming.

Sheila

perry  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 02:22
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
It depends on how boring/interesting is the text Sep 26, 2011

and on the deadline, and on my mood...
In fact, a combination of the factors listed by Mihaela, Thayenga and Sheila above.

Dolors Selis  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2008)
English to Catalan
+ ...
Breaks Sep 26, 2011

Usually, I wouldn't take any breaks. When working I never think I should stop. Luckly my husband, a writer, has a different way of working and sometimes reminds me that we have dogs to take for a walk and that having lunch with the family is fine.

Laura Bissio CT  Identity Verified
Uruguay
Local time: 02:22
Member (2008)
English to Spanish
+ ...
same here Sep 26, 2011

Mihaela Buruiana wrote:

... how interesting or difficult the text is, what my mood is that day, what else happens around me or in the world and, most importantly, on what the deadline is!!!

Ekaterina Chashnikova  Identity Verified
Local time: 08:22
Member (2011)
English to Russian
+ ...
Every 40-60 minutes Sep 27, 2011

I have a special programm installed that remindes me about the breaks. Though I ignore it sometimes, when the translation is urgent or the text is interesting etc, I think it's important for my body to take regular breaks. And this programm saves my body from overloads.

Veronica Lupascu  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Dutch to Romanian
+ ...
pets Sep 27, 2011

My breaks depend on my dog's program. Every 2 hours he wakes up and wants 3 minutes of playing around and I take him out 4 times a day. In the morning we also run for 30 minutes. But generally I get interrupted by other things during the day as well.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: When translating, how often do you take a break on average?

Advanced search

WordFinder Unlimited
For clarity and excellence

WordFinder is the leading dictionary service that gives you the words you want anywhere, anytime. Access 260+ dictionaries from the world's leading dictionary publishers in virtually any device. Find the right word anywhere, anytime - online or offline.

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search