ProZ.com Freelancer Success Summit

Join ProZ.com/TV for a FREE online event April 7-9th! Empowering Freelance Translators & Interpreters to achieve their business objectives and reach their full potential 30+ hours of content, Live Q&A, Virtual Powwows, Access to Free Training, giveaways & more. Join 1,000's of linguists from around the globe at the ProZ.com/TV Freelancer Success Summit

Click for Full Participation
PROZ.COM COVID-19 RESOURCE CENTER
Access Covid-19 jobs, answer relevant terminology questions, read industry news and more.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3]
Poll: Have you ever been told that yours is not a "real job"?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff

Veronica Lupascu  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 18:15
Dutch to Romanian
+ ...
yep Oct 7, 2011

Ahmed Dahman wrote:

I'm a freelance translator for about six years now and people around me still asking me if I really get paid for the work I do.

My father would ask me every time if clients pay me I understand his reaction. They used to live in a world of physical contact and cash salary...

Patricia Charnet
United Kingdom
Local time: 17:15
English to French
no and yes voted no Oct 7, 2011

mixed answer here

no was set up quickly as a professional translator after started with some tuition for companies in London so was ok and had clients who understood and paid for the work

My family at the beginning had a bit of a problem to understand the concept of freelancing except my mother who ran a business before

my ex partner at the beginning had problem grasping the situation and was rather ironic and his mother asked about me "watching TV all day
... See more
mixed answer here

no was set up quickly as a professional translator after started with some tuition for companies in London so was ok and had clients who understood and paid for the work

My family at the beginning had a bit of a problem to understand the concept of freelancing except my mother who ran a business before

my ex partner at the beginning had problem grasping the situation and was rather ironic and his mother asked about me "watching TV all day"

following his initial reaction I made myself less available with emergency work and disappearing acts of conference interpreting located as far as possible - but the straw that broke the camel's back was the 3 weeks off back to France which made a lasting impact

he quickly changed his mind when I "helped my mother for 3 weeks" after an operation, worked in France, and he had to take some calls from the clients, forwarded messages and faxes, and was my secretary

he nevertheless set up a business - and was very surprised that it entailed so much work

he never said it again ever since
Collapse

Juan Pablo Sans  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 12:15
Member (2011)
English to Spanish
+ ...
From the very beginning Oct 7, 2011

From the mere fact that you are said that "they don't need a translator because they already speak english/italian"

The Misha
Local time: 12:15
Russian to English
+ ...
No, Oct 7, 2011

but it even if someone did, who gives a rat's batootie about what other people think? It's my choice and my life.

Laura Friend
United States
Local time: 09:15
Member (2011)
Russian to English
+ ...
"only translating" Oct 8, 2011

I mentioned to my husband's friend in conversation that I thought I would like court interpreting, if I were a trained interpreter (I'm a translator). He mused that, yes, it must be interesting: after all, you get to observe everything that goes on without the stress that the participants experience, because you're "only translating!"

Muriel Vasconcellos  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
No, but ... Oct 8, 2011

As others have mentioned, no one takes my time seriously. This is especially true when I take a break and walk my dogs. It's assumed that I don't have anything better to do but hang out - especially since most of my friends and neighbors are retired.

Parrot  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Ouch! Oct 8, 2011

Laura Friend wrote:

you get to observe everything that goes on without the stress that the participants experience, because you're "only translating!"

Tell him I said ¡*/`^&%!

[Edited at 2011-10-08 07:32 GMT]

Laura Friend
United States
Member (2011)
Russian to English
+ ...
I'll tell him, Parrot! Oct 9, 2011

Lo siento that you had to hear that...!

Louise Péron  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English to French
In a way, yes Oct 9, 2011

People haven't told me, but I get from their attitude that they think I do nothing at home.

My mum moans at me because I don't reply to her e-mails (or phone calls) before the evening, she thinks that because I'm home and have no boss behind my back I should take a break whenever I want (well, whenever she wants, really) and catch up with work later on.

And the other day, a friend of mine called to know if he could pop in for a tea. I was sorry to tell him I was busy wo
... See more
People haven't told me, but I get from their attitude that they think I do nothing at home.

My mum moans at me because I don't reply to her e-mails (or phone calls) before the evening, she thinks that because I'm home and have no boss behind my back I should take a break whenever I want (well, whenever she wants, really) and catch up with work later on.

And the other day, a friend of mine called to know if he could pop in for a tea. I was sorry to tell him I was busy working, and he asked me where I'd found a job. My explanation: "Well, I work from home, remember?" His reply: "So you ARE home, why can't I drop by for a drink?".

I also often get some mates who don't understand that I don't want to go out too late when I have work in the morning, because apparently, I can wake up anytime I want. I don't know how to explain to them that I will never get any work done (or not properly, anyway) if I wake up at 10am with a hangover.

But I have just started in the business, and hopefully they will all understand in a couple of years!!
Collapse

Power Translate  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
In the very early days very often Oct 14, 2011

I had been translating in-house as well as project managing for a few years. About two years ago I started out as a freelancer. Last year after my grandma had died I accompanied my parents to the graveyard one Sunday afternoon when we ran into old friends of my mother's. The man asked me what I did for a living and I said that I was a translator. Okay, I had a bit of a dry spell at that time but after the friends had gone my mother said that she was astonished how I could lie directly into this ... See more
I had been translating in-house as well as project managing for a few years. About two years ago I started out as a freelancer. Last year after my grandma had died I accompanied my parents to the graveyard one Sunday afternoon when we ran into old friends of my mother's. The man asked me what I did for a living and I said that I was a translator. Okay, I had a bit of a dry spell at that time but after the friends had gone my mother said that she was astonished how I could lie directly into this man's face without blushing.
Now they have come to accept my job more. But they do like to pull me into a long discussion over just about anything during my working hours from time to time.
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Have you ever been told that yours is not a "real job"?

Advanced search

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
SDL Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within SDL Trados Studio

SDL Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search