Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Poll: How often do you get distracted by Facebook/Twitter while working (on translations)?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
Local time: 05:15
SITE STAFF
Oct 9, 2011

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "How often do you get distracted by Facebook/Twitter while working (on translations)?".

This poll was originally submitted by Ikram Mahyuddin. View the poll results »

Direct link Reply with quote

Teresa Borges
Portugal
Local time: 13:15
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
I never get distracted Oct 9, 2011

by Facebook or Twitter because I don't use these sites...

patriciacharnet  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English to French
+ ...
sometimes Oct 9, 2011

but I'm very good

I give myself some deadlines and incentives so that I treat myself with facebook and twitter when I've reached a milestone in my translation schedule

works fine instead of being distracted, I'm more often motivated

neilmac  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 14:15
Spanish to English
+ ...
Never Oct 9, 2011

Facebook is merely something I occasionally look at when NOT working, in my precious leisure time, to catch up on what friends and acquaintances might be doing, see their photos etc.

And twittering is for the birds IMO - something for people with too much spare time on their hands!

Gallagy
Ireland
Member (2010)
French to English
+ ...
never Oct 9, 2011

agree with Neilmac. i only look at Facebook when I'm not working and have lots of free time to look at photos etc. I never use Twitter. I DO check on e-mails as they come in though so they could be considered a distraction

Amy Duncan  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 11:15
Portuguese to English
+ ...
I wouldn't say "distracted" Oct 9, 2011

I use Facebook a lot (but not Twitter), and I have the tab up most of the time. So I hop over there when I take mini-breaks from my work. It doesn't distract me.

xxxjacana54  Identity Verified
Uruguay
English to Spanish
+ ...
Decided not to use Facebook any more Oct 9, 2011

I deleted my profile at the beginning of September, because it was becoming a distraction. For months I had been thinking that I prefer personal communications, even if less frequent, to that type of postings. It was a shame to lose contact with friends from my previous lives, but I'll find a way of getting in touch again. I don't use Twitter.

Oliver Lawrence  Identity Verified
Italy
Partial member (2008)
Italian to English
+ ...
Never Oct 9, 2011

Twitter can be extremely useful for work purposes, but I manage to use it in breaks from translation so that it doesn't distract.

Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
My words Oct 9, 2011

Teresa Borges wrote:

by Facebook or Twitter because I don't use these sites...

And using them stands for unlimited access to private information throughout Cyber Space.

Michael Harris  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2006)
German to English
Never Oct 9, 2011

because I dont use them!!

Michael Harris  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2006)
German to English
Hi Lucia Oct 9, 2011

Lucia Colombino wrote:

I deleted my profile at the beginning of September, because it was becoming a distraction. For months I had been thinking that I prefer personal communications, even if less frequent, to that type of postings. It was a shame to lose contact with friends from my previous lives, but I'll find a way of getting in touch again. I don't use Twitter.

For curiosity, ask Facebook to send all details what they have printed about you, you will be surprised!!
There should be a section at Facebook where you can request this free of charge and they are obliged to send you this info as they DO NOT delete anything, it is stored on a server in the USA. The details are ONLY HIDDEN!!!

That is the reason why I dont use these things, it is only to get your details

Allison Wright  Identity Verified
Portugal
German to English
+ ...
Facebook is for fun and family Oct 9, 2011

I don't twitter. Facebook does not distract me from my work, but is a useful way for me to communicate with friends and (large extended) family scattered around the globe. It is much more efficient than trying to maintain individual correspondences with each and every one, although my mother and I still write traditional letters (via e-mail) to each other about once a week.

Rebecca Leon
United States
Local time: 07:15
Member (2006)
Spanish to English
+ ...
I also deleted my account Oct 9, 2011

I, too was turning to FB for "mini-breaks" but after a little while I found that my body needed me to walk during breaks, not sit and look at the computer more, and yes, it's absolutely horrendous the information that is stored from FB, I find it very intrusive. Another thing, in order to "delete" a face book account, you have to google the instructions. FB only gives you the option of de-activation.

Secilia Njau  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 16:15
Member (2011)
English to Swahili
+ ...
Why do you even think you have facebook and twitter Oct 10, 2011

When I work I always forget if have Facebook or Twitter.

Muriel Vasconcellos  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 05:15
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Less and less Oct 10, 2011

In the beginning I checked FB almost daily; in the last year or so I haven't been following it nearly as much - until my niece recently had a baby, and that really got my attention again.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: How often do you get distracted by Facebook/Twitter while working (on translations)?

Advanced search

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search