Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Poll: How are your rates compared to the average in your language pair(s)?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
Oct 24, 2011

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "How are your rates compared to the average in your language pair(s)?".

This poll was originally submitted by Karen Sughyan. View the poll results »

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 10:31
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Compared to the average where? Oct 24, 2011

In the same country?

Interlangue (X)
Interlangue (X)
Angola
Local time: 11:31
English to French
+ ...
Same here Oct 24, 2011

Teresa Borges wrote:

In the same country?

... prices for the same language pair vary a lot from one country to another, even when they are geographically as close as France and Belgium.

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
The same Oct 24, 2011

AFAIK. "Average" is relative.

Patricia Charnet
Patricia Charnet
United Kingdom
Member (2009)
English to French
same Oct 24, 2011

Interlangue wrote:

Teresa Borges wrote:

In the same country?

... prices for the same language pair vary a lot from one country to another, even when they are geographically as close as France and Belgium.

Are they any variations in terms of prices between France and Belgium? I've always given the same for my French and Belgian clients (even though I got the impression that the Belgians were more reluctant on accepting the prices)

Interesting point - international, national and local variation

Katharine Ridgard
Katharine Ridgard  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
French to English
+ ...
Me too Oct 24, 2011

Average prices in France are considerably higher than Italy for the same language pairs.

Interlangue (X)
Interlangue (X)
Angola
English to French
+ ...
Re Oct 24, 2011

patriciacharnet wrote:

Are they any variations in terms of prices between France and Belgium? I've always given the same for my French and Belgian clients (even though I got the impression that the Belgians were more reluctant on accepting the prices)

Interesting point - international, national and local variation

Prices tend to be lower in Belgium because there are (or were) more translators on the Belgian market - Competition is tougher.
Prices in B are lower than in Germany too (and Switzerland)

Alexander Kondorsky
Alexander Kondorsky  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 12:31
English to Russian
+ ...
Average patient temperature in a hospital Oct 24, 2011

In my opinion, in our trade speaking of "average rate" is same nonesense as speaking of average patient temperature in a hospital.

Muriel Vasconcellos
Muriel Vasconcellos  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 02:31
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Maybe this isn't a fair question Oct 24, 2011

There's a difference between "my" rates and the standard, non-negotiable rates paid by some of my clients. "My" rates, which I quote to new clients, are on the high end of average, but one of my clients pays extremely well - and of course I'm happy to accept the money.

Thayenga
Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
The Location is an important factor Oct 24, 2011

Teresa Borges wrote:

In the same country?

Prices depend on the location of both the translator and the client, as well as on the current market conditions.

Nikki Graham
Nikki Graham  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Spanish to English
Cannot answer question Oct 24, 2011

as I don't know what the average rates are

Simon Bruni
Simon Bruni  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2009)
Spanish to English
So-called average rates on Proz Oct 24, 2011

Nikki Graham wrote:

as I don't know what the average rates are

The averages of the rates posted by Proz users can be viewed here:

http://www.proz.com/?sp=rates_view

Not sure how faithfully they reflect the actual rates we obtain though!

Mario Chavez (X)
Mario Chavez (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 05:31
English to Spanish
+ ...
Proz, your question is unfair Oct 24, 2011

Muriel Vasconcellos wrote:

There's a difference between "my" rates and the standard, non-negotiable rates paid by some of my clients. "My" rates, which I quote to new clients, are on the high end of average, but one of my clients pays extremely well - and of course I'm happy to accept the money.

Muriel was too kind in her answer, which points to the fact that different clients command different rates or charges. Alexander Kondorsky summed it up brilliantly.

What's the deal, Proz? Using polls to get intelligence from your members now? I find the question quite unethical:

a) A translator's rates are his/her own to establish and offer to current and prospective customers.
b) A translator's rates are confidential information, the same as your Social Security number or passport number. They are given on a need-to-know basis. Are you a customer? Go ahead and ask. Are you a colleague with whom we'll present a joint proposal to a client? I'll tell you. None of the above? None of your business.
c) Proz is supposed to be this free marketplace where translators and customers meet and arrange the terms of their engagement, according to supply and demand. Translators have already posted their rates in their individual profiles.

According to C, it was my understanding that the information in my profile is only accessible to myself only, unless I enable changes. Also, I can make my rates visible or invisible by setting privacy changes in my profile page. So, why does Proz need to collect this information about "average rates" from us?

Benoit HUPIN (X)
Benoit HUPIN (X)  Identity Verified
France
English to French
+ ...
- Oct 24, 2011

My rates are far above the peanuts proposed by the so-called agencies wandering on this site. Maybe that's why I only got one project from the site since... 2006. Fortunately, there are plenty of quality-focused small translation and communication agencies out there that are willing to pay for professional translations and who take the time and hassle to carefully select their providers without sending mass emails or asking for bids.

Mario Chavez wrote:

What's the deal, Proz? Using polls to get intelligence from your members now? I find the question quite unethical:

None of your business.

Same opinion here.

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Bad with figures Oct 24, 2011

Muriel Vasconcellos wrote:

Slightly off topic perhaps, but I'm so bad at admin that last month I billed a client at my old rate, after having managed to get them to accept a12,5% rise on the previous job. I didn't realise until I started doing my VAT returns (as usual, at the last minute!). No wonder they keep coming back!

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: How are your rates compared to the average in your language pair(s)?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »