Poll: Do you enjoy working on many projects at the same time or prefer to have only one?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
Nov 1, 2011

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "Do you enjoy working on many projects at the same time or prefer to have only one?".

This poll was originally submitted by Karol Kacprzak. View the poll results »

Veronica Lupascu
Veronica Lupascu  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 13:49
Dutch to Romanian
+ ...
more projects Nov 1, 2011

But not too many... and it doesn't happen so often

I like to switch to the second/third project whenever I get tired of the first one. If there is no other project, I would enter proZ, or read some news, but of course it is better when "pauses" generate income

Angus Stewart
Angus Stewart  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 12:49
Member (2011)
French to English
+ ...
Yes, subject to capacity issues Nov 1, 2011

If I am working on a large project with a generous deadline then I like to take on another smaller project (or projects) in the meantime. Not only does this allow me to utilize my time more fully, but it also provides a bit of variety to my work. Thereafter, I can revert to working on the larger project with a fresh pair of eyes.

However, the critical issue for me is to appreciate my own capacity, since I would never wish to be in a situation of having taken on more projects than I
... See more
If I am working on a large project with a generous deadline then I like to take on another smaller project (or projects) in the meantime. Not only does this allow me to utilize my time more fully, but it also provides a bit of variety to my work. Thereafter, I can revert to working on the larger project with a fresh pair of eyes.

However, the critical issue for me is to appreciate my own capacity, since I would never wish to be in a situation of having taken on more projects than I could manage to the best of my ability.
Collapse

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Depends on the pressure Nov 1, 2011

If I can fit them in without clashing or affecting each others' deadlines, I don't usually have a problem with doing a few things at the same time.

I have some direct clients who often send me shortish texts, say fewer than 1K words, which I can usually make a space for without seriously affecting the progress of more substantial works in progress.

One client sends me SW string to translate online, so the interface, screen appearance and modus operandi is different, w
... See more
If I can fit them in without clashing or affecting each others' deadlines, I don't usually have a problem with doing a few things at the same time.

I have some direct clients who often send me shortish texts, say fewer than 1K words, which I can usually make a space for without seriously affecting the progress of more substantial works in progress.

One client sends me SW string to translate online, so the interface, screen appearance and modus operandi is different, which can be refreshing (they say a change is as good as a rest).

NB: Or "... the interface, screen appearance and modus operandi ARE different" for the grammar sticklers...

[Edited at 2011-11-01 09:46 GMT]
Collapse

Patricia Charnet
Patricia Charnet
United Kingdom
Member (2009)
English to French
sometimes Nov 1, 2011

but I tend to be focused so much on one project sometimes to make sure I respect the deadline particularly if difficult or badly written

but I like to swap particularly when one is translated I go back to the other project and finish it then go back to the 1st for revising

I find switching sometimes does help before the revising and checking part

Textklick
Textklick  Identity Verified
German to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Coffee break Nov 1, 2011

Assuming the prerequisites that have already been touched upon here, I find it is often refreshing/stimulating to bounce off in between times into something else that is fully different by nature.

(Right: Enough manuals for the next hour, let's play with that pretty PowerPoint about management structures).

Oliver Lawrence
Oliver Lawrence  Identity Verified
Italy
Italian to English
+ ...
Useful for QC Nov 1, 2011

In order to revise, review and proofread my translations effectively, I find it useful to try to create as much distance from my text as practicably possible (so that the old brain can see what's actually there, as opposed to what it expects). As it is often not feasible, commercial deadlines being what they are, to sleep on a text, switching task before coming back to revise/review/proof can help to create that distance and hence give me a superior end product.

That said, too many
... See more
In order to revise, review and proofread my translations effectively, I find it useful to try to create as much distance from my text as practicably possible (so that the old brain can see what's actually there, as opposed to what it expects). As it is often not feasible, commercial deadlines being what they are, to sleep on a text, switching task before coming back to revise/review/proof can help to create that distance and hence give me a superior end product.

That said, too many little bitty jobs create overhead and can make your head spin.
Collapse

Paula Hernández
Paula Hernández
United Kingdom
English to Spanish
+ ...
sometimes Nov 1, 2011

To change subjects, but it gets confusing when I have to translate one project to Spanish, another one to Catalan and a third one to Catalan from Valencia.

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Sometimes Nov 1, 2011

Angus Stewart wrote:

If I am working on a large project with a generous deadline then I like to take on another smaller project (or projects) in the meantime.

Marlene Blanshay
Marlene Blanshay  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 07:49
Member (2009)
French to English
+ ...
not too many Nov 1, 2011

if i'm working on a larger project, I'm ok with having smaller jobs to work on. It also keeps money coming in and it gives me a break. Ideally, if i'm working on a large translation job, I'll take on smaller editing or localization jobs, which are usually quick turnover and don't take too much time.

Thayenga
Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
Depends on the type of project Nov 1, 2011

While working on a large project with a generous deadline which requires creativity, I don't mind to take on a smaller project just to give my brain a break - although I continue to work, just on a different subject and/or completely different project altogether. This refreshes the brain cells.

Angus Stewart
Angus Stewart  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
French to English
+ ...
A valid point Nov 1, 2011

Oliver Lawrence wrote:

In order to revise, review and proofread my translations effectively, I find it useful to try to create as much distance from my text as practicably possible (so that the old brain can see what's actually there, as opposed to what it expects).

I would agree with that logic.

Muriel Vasconcellos
Muriel Vasconcellos  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 04:49
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
I said I didn't mind a few small ones . . . Nov 2, 2011

. . . but I'm picky about what I accept to do. If I'm already working on something else, I don't want to accept anything that's too taxing, badly written, etc.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Do you enjoy working on many projects at the same time or prefer to have only one?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »