PROZ.COM COVID-19 RESOURCE CENTER
Access Covid-19 jobs, answer relevant terminology questions, read industry news and more.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Poll: Do you prefer mostly quick/easy jobs or slow/challenging ones?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff

Marlene Blanshay  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 20:46
Member (2009)
French to English
+ ...
both! Nov 9, 2011

I also like the balance...
The slow/challenging ones are longer and do net more pay, but i also like getting into something and working on it for a while. However, i will often take quick easy editing or localization jobs while working on a bigger project, keeps money flowing in and keeps things interesting.

Amy Duncan (X)  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 21:46
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Short and easy as a general rule... Nov 9, 2011

...because I'm always translating some book or another, and it's easier to squeeze in the little ones.

Elizabeth Faracini  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 20:46
Member (2010)
Italian to English
+ ...
A mix Nov 9, 2011

Nikki Scott-Despaigne wrote:

A succession of small jobs makes me twitchy.

I agree. I enjoy smaller jobs, but I also do not enjoy constantly thinking about looming deadlines. I generally prefer having one or two longer term translations and then I take some smaller ones if I find I have time. I agree with everyone else that it's nice to change topics or at least documents every once in a while.

isabel murillo  Identity Verified
Local time: 02:46
English to Spanish
+ ...
Other Nov 10, 2011

Katarina Volarić wrote:

because I find slow/challenging jobs rewarding and quick/easy ones profitable. The challenging jobs are translations (mostly literary) which fill my soul with satisfaction and push me forward, but the quick/easy translations are the ones that fill my purse. Should there be non of those, I am not sure I would be able to accept the rewarding ones. So I balance to the best of my knowledge

I fully agree with Katarina and this is also my case: my translations are mostly literary and I try to combine slow/challenging books with others quick/easy that fill my purse. This mix is what allows me to survive as a full time books translator.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Do you prefer mostly quick/easy jobs or slow/challenging ones?

Advanced search

SDL Trados Studio 2019 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2019 has evolved to bring translators a brand new experience. Designed with user experience at its core, Studio 2019 transforms how new users get up and running, helps experienced users make the most of the powerful features.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search