Poll: Do you have a love-hate relationship with technology (computers, CAT tools, etc.)?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff

ProZ.com Staff
Local time: 03:06
SITE STAFF
Nov 19, 2011

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "Do you have a love-hate relationship with technology (computers, CAT tools, etc.)?".

View the poll results »

Mary Worby  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 11:06
German to English
+ ...
No Nov 19, 2011

Don't love it. Don't hate it. It is useful and necessary. So I voted 'other'.

Philippe Etienne  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 12:06
English to French
No Nov 19, 2011

I have neither relations nor feelings about things. I don't give them pet names either.
They are just things.

Philippe

neilmac  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Other Nov 19, 2011

I like the technology when it works for me. I like it user friendly.

I don't like technology that doesn't work properly, that keeps crashing, is overly complicated or imposes what I perceive as unnecessarily demanding learning curves (such as some translation softwares, naming no names...) or continuous updates and "improvements"...

Alison Sabedoria  Identity Verified
France
Member (2009)
French to English
+ ...
Reluctant acceptance then creative misuse! Nov 19, 2011

I read E. M. Forster's short story "The Machine Stops" when I was 15 and have always been wary of depending too much on vulnerable systems. I tend to embrace "technological progress" only once it has had time to prove itself, become reliable and its consequences can be evaluated - and my Luddite tendancies are quick to resurface!

I'm no fan of gadgets: in the kitchen, if it can't be done with a knife or a wooden spoon, it's probably not worth doing. The few gadgets I do make room for have to be "pro" quality and a pleasure to use. The same goes for CAT: I only use it where it really helps, but it paid for itself within a few days on one job and I only swore at it occasionally.

Still, once I've taken some new technology on board, I derive a wry satisfaction from forcing it in ironic new directions, where it was never meant (or is reluctanct) to go: devising a high-tech "cut & paste" gregorian chant notation, for instance.

Just don't try to sell me the "benefits" of a mobile phone!

Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
Yes. Nov 19, 2011

Though it's mostly love when it's working like it should be.icon_smile.gif
But behold! when it doesn't do its job.icon_biggrin.gif

Technology, within itself, is great and very helpful. Without it we may not be pushed back to the hammer and chisle days, but using a typewriter had its "pitfalls" as well.

telefpro
Local time: 15:36
Portuguese to English
+ ...
I am just fascinated Nov 19, 2011

I just love technological products.

Yvonne Gallagher
Ireland
Local time: 11:06
Member (2010)
French to English
+ ...
Yes, love/hate Nov 19, 2011

I am like Neilmac and like technology that works, and doesn't require major learning curves. But I curse at it and tear out my hair when things go wrong. This morning I discovered I hadn't saved all the work I did yesterday (my own stupidity due to tiredness, but I'll blame the technology!) so had to do it all again today.
No, I don't want to go back to typewriter erasure ribbons (yeuck!!) and long hours of research in dusty tomes. I absolutely love the Internet and Google! And would find life more difficult without a mobile phone as well.

Yasin Direkci  Identity Verified
Local time: 13:06
English to Turkish
neutral Nov 19, 2011

i believe technology is just another instrument to make life easier or harder or in between.

Dave Bindon  Identity Verified
Greece
Local time: 13:06
Member (2010)
Greek to English
Love it Nov 19, 2011

After all, all my best imaginary friends live inside my computericon_wink.gif

Muriel Vasconcellos  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 03:06
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Neutral when it works, hate it when it doesn't Nov 20, 2011

I could never love my computer, though I appreciate what it does.

As for hate, that's what I feel about Windows 7. It has been a huge disimprovement and slows me down immensely.

Ambrose Li  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 06:06
Chinese to English
+ ...
@Wordeffect Nov 20, 2011

Wordeffect wrote:

Still, once I've taken some new technology on board, I derive a wry satisfaction from forcing it in ironic new directions, where it was never meant (or is reluctanct) to go: devising a high-tech "cut & paste" gregorian chant notation, for instance.

Music typesetting is hard. Did you try Lilypond?

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Do you have a love-hate relationship with technology (computers, CAT tools, etc.)?

Advanced search

Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search