ProZ.com Freelancer Success Summit

Join ProZ.com/TV for a FREE online event April 7-9th! Empowering Freelance Translators & Interpreters to achieve their business objectives and reach their full potential 30+ hours of content, Live Q&A, Virtual Powwows, Access to Free Training, giveaways & more. Join 1,000's of linguists from around the globe at the ProZ.com/TV Freelancer Success Summit

Click for Full Participation
PROZ.COM COVID-19 RESOURCE CENTER
Access Covid-19 jobs, answer relevant terminology questions, read industry news and more.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Poll: Do you currently live in the country you were born?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff

Fiona Gilbert Riley  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 17:47
Spanish to English
+ ...
Demographics Nov 21, 2011

And no doubt you'd be able to relate the curve of people born abroad in, say, Commonwealth countries, to the age of the subjects. That one will be much higher for the 45+ bracket. But I wonder how many of those people learned/remember/use the language(s) of their "native" land?

Teresa Borges
Portugal
Local time: 16:47
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
No Nov 21, 2011

I was born in Portugal, and I have been living in Belgium for 26 years!

XXXphxxx (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 16:47
Portuguese to English
+ ...
No Nov 21, 2011

Born in Malaysia, brought up in Brazil and currently in the U.K. after 10 years in France

Michaela Müller
Germany
Local time: 17:47
English to German
+ ...
History Nov 21, 2011

Michael Harris wrote:

you answer with "other" here?

And how can someone living in Germany ask such a question? I was born in the GDR - and due to certain historic events I had the chance to now live in a part of Germany I had never heard of when I was a small child.

Trudy Peters  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 11:47
German to English
+ ...
History II Nov 22, 2011

By today’s borders, I never lived in the country I was born in. I was born in Czechoslovakia, in the part that is now the Czech Republic. But shortly after my birth, we moved to Slovakia, returned to the Czech Republic just in time to be evicted as ethnic Germans. I never spoke Czech or Slovak, always attended German schools. Since the end of the war (WWII, that
is), my life has been divided between living in Germany and
... See more
By today’s borders, I never lived in the country I was born in. I was born in Czechoslovakia, in the part that is now the Czech Republic. But shortly after my birth, we moved to Slovakia, returned to the Czech Republic just in time to be evicted as ethnic Germans. I never spoke Czech or Slovak, always attended German schools. Since the end of the war (WWII, that
is), my life has been divided between living in Germany and the US.
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Do you currently live in the country you were born?

Advanced search

SDL Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within SDL Trados Studio

SDL Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
WordFinder Unlimited
For clarity and excellence

WordFinder is the leading dictionary service that gives you the words you want anywhere, anytime. Access 260+ dictionaries from the world's leading dictionary publishers in virtually any device. Find the right word anywhere, anytime - online or offline.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search