Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Poll: How often do you have to work all night long in order to meet a deadline?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
Trinh Do
Trinh Do  Identity Verified
Australia
Member (2007)
English to Vietnamese
+ ...
Not any more Dec 4, 2011

I used to - I must admit I was a very stupid person. It doesn't pay off, as the quality can suffer, and my health suffers. Blood glucose increases, mental health worsens, and it makes you lethargic for days.

I advise against it. Just outsource part of the work to colleagues to help them or turn down the project.

Muriel Vasconcellos
Muriel Vasconcellos  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 18:31
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Very often Dec 4, 2011

I mostly do large jobs (50-100 pages), and at the end I invariably have a lot more small stuff to take care of than I planned on. It usually seems to work out that way, but not always. The shorter the job, the more easily I can avoid those late nights at the end.

Now in my career as a conference translator, I was often assigned to the night shift and had no choice about it. Once I did an 8-hour night shift and then they asked me to work the next shift in the morning - 16 hours with
... See more
I mostly do large jobs (50-100 pages), and at the end I invariably have a lot more small stuff to take care of than I planned on. It usually seems to work out that way, but not always. The shorter the job, the more easily I can avoid those late nights at the end.

Now in my career as a conference translator, I was often assigned to the night shift and had no choice about it. Once I did an 8-hour night shift and then they asked me to work the next shift in the morning - 16 hours with almost no breaks. That was the nature of the work.
Collapse

Noni Gilbert Riley
Noni Gilbert Riley
Spain
Local time: 03:31
Spanish to English
+ ...
As often as is necessary.... Dec 4, 2011

.....which should be never! It would be bad planning, a case of accepting an unacceptable deadline combined with unexpected circumstances which might lead to this, but it should never be seen as an immediate option.

And I am interpreting "working all night" as meaning adding an additional 12 hours onto an already completed work cycle. Hardly likely to be productive....

I think I may have done this once when I was a student....
See more
.....which should be never! It would be bad planning, a case of accepting an unacceptable deadline combined with unexpected circumstances which might lead to this, but it should never be seen as an immediate option.

And I am interpreting "working all night" as meaning adding an additional 12 hours onto an already completed work cycle. Hardly likely to be productive....

I think I may have done this once when I was a student.
Collapse

Robert Forstag
Robert Forstag  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 21:31
Spanish to English
+ ...
Very rarely Dec 4, 2011

All night long? To my mind, this means staying up working until at least 4 a.m. I've done this maybe five times in eight years, and only once in the last three years.

It is something I am simply unwilling to do, in the absence of some extraordinary compensation arrangement (not likely to be forthcoming).

As a freelance translator, I am prepared to be flexible, but I am not a Gumby doll....

Alexander Kondorsky
Alexander Kondorsky  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 04:31
English to Russian
+ ...
used to in good old days Dec 4, 2011

I used to when I was young, can't afford that 'luxury' for health reasons any longer

Chun Un
Chun Un  Identity Verified
Macau
Member (2007)
English to Chinese
+ ...
Yes, but not very often Dec 4, 2011

I simply realise that I am not what I used to be twenty years ago... Working all night is just the very last resort to make up the time lost during the day.

Marlene Blanshay
Marlene Blanshay  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 21:31
Member (2009)
French to English
+ ...
rarely if ever Dec 4, 2011

I think as you get older,it's really hard to bounce back the next day. Not worth it! Working late, ok...all night, forget it!

Anna Szmytkiewicz
Anna Szmytkiewicz  Identity Verified
Local time: 03:31
Polish to English
+ ...
Sometimes Dec 4, 2011

Sometimes but I don't really like it. Only when it is necessary. Translating is not my main occupation and first half a day is my regular job.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: How often do you have to work all night long in order to meet a deadline?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »