Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4] >
Poll: What type of chair do you have at your workspace?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
Dinny
Dinny  Identity Verified
Greece
Local time: 04:14
Italian to Danish
+ ...
Had to investigate Dec 15, 2011

For the question about the chair: Mine is a lavish leather chair, the type that you will find in an executives meeting room (actually is came from such a place), no armrests (I am working, not resting!) but has wheels so that I can roll around my dogs placed on the floor everywhere around me (taking care of not running over their tails).

As for having to investigate: I was just at the point to enter a forum post about our term base. Whenever my dictionaries give up, as a last resor
... See more
For the question about the chair: Mine is a lavish leather chair, the type that you will find in an executives meeting room (actually is came from such a place), no armrests (I am working, not resting!) but has wheels so that I can roll around my dogs placed on the floor everywhere around me (taking care of not running over their tails).

As for having to investigate: I was just at the point to enter a forum post about our term base. Whenever my dictionaries give up, as a last resort I turn to the term base on ProZ... and I never find any answers. I checked the "swopper chair", since I had no clue whatsoever as to what that would be... and the term base of - how many? - (guessing) 200,000 translators does not contain a translation of this term. As usual, google pictures helped out. Now I know that I do NOT have a swopper chair!

As for the poll: Well, it is a little break in the daily routine - and the points come in handy when I have to renew my membership.

Have a great Wednesday everyone!
Dinny
Collapse

Evans (X)
Evans (X)
Local time: 02:14
Spanish to English
+ ...
Swopper chair Dec 15, 2011

The Swopper chair looks like those boingy things my kids used to play on in the park. Lots of fun, I'm sure, but I think I'd keep falling off.

Julian Holmes
Julian Holmes  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 10:14
Member (2011)
Japanese to English
Ergonomic= Dec 15, 2011

Any chair that supports your body to make it through long, extended bouts in front of a computer -- and I'm sure you've all been there!

Not too soft, comfy, preferably with arm rests and various adjusters for height, etc. and with a firm back support with enough play to let you stretch back and admire what a great job you're doing;-))

Happy translating

Luiza Modesto
Luiza Modesto  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 22:14
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Bench Dec 15, 2011

I use a cushioned bench with back support cuz my cats love sitting next to me.

Alicja Weikop
Alicja Weikop  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English to Polish
+ ...
Oh dear Dec 15, 2011

Seems like my question stirred up a bit of a fuss... I have no idea how to properly categorise chairs, I thought the options provided would do the job...

This is how I define the options provided:

1) traditional chair - with four legs and a back rest - this is what I am sitting on, not entirely out of choice, and it is giving me a helluva lower back pain, thus it prompted my question!
2) ergonomic chair - swivel office chair, adjustable - one that was designed to
... See more
Seems like my question stirred up a bit of a fuss... I have no idea how to properly categorise chairs, I thought the options provided would do the job...

This is how I define the options provided:

1) traditional chair - with four legs and a back rest - this is what I am sitting on, not entirely out of choice, and it is giving me a helluva lower back pain, thus it prompted my question!
2) ergonomic chair - swivel office chair, adjustable - one that was designed to be sat on for hours at a desk
3) ball - well, you know what I mean? some people actually sit on an inflatable ball to keep a good posture
4) swopper chair - only found out they existed when writing this poll - I know they are terribly expensive - but they look different, a bit like a piano stool. I was curious how good they are in real terms.

Looks like I have missed out the kneeling chair from the list - are they any good for your backs?

Thanks everyone for your comments - hope this has provided some distraction from your regular routine!
Collapse

Maria Chudova
Maria Chudova  Identity Verified
Slovakia
Local time: 03:14
Member (2008)
Spanish to Slovak
+ ...
brand name? nonsensical poll? Dec 15, 2011

I clicked on the swopper chair, as the google images were closest to the chair I have.
Charlie Bavington wrote:
That "swopper" needs to be capitalised; it's a brand name.

I understood the term "swopper chair" without capital letter as a chair that promotes active sitting - I chose that option, although I have a SpinaliS chair. The principle is very similar, the seat is placed on a spring or perhaps a spiral - it keeps moving with each your movement, you have to keep balance. It can be tricky, when you are not prepared, my aunt almost fall of it. But my two-years old niece loves to climb there.

My SpinaliS chair is not a stool, it has armrests and backrest. And wheels. It was a gift from my father, almost four years ago - and in my opinion it is really much better than classic office chairs, I had to sit on a classic office chair for years before. This chair was expensive then and I suppose it is even more expensive today - but as it has eliminated most of my chronic back pain, I think it is worth it.

I believe a good chair is for us as important as a good cat-tool, so I wouldn´t call this poll nonsensical, although it doesn´t ask the Ultimate question.
Yes, you can work on a sofa with a laptop and your spine will thank you later, if you do so for long periods.
Have a nice day, all.

Alexandra Speirs
Alexandra Speirs  Identity Verified
Italian to English
+ ...
oops Dec 15, 2011

Clicked ball chair by mistake, thinking it meant a chair on ball castors ...

Mine is an old office chair on castors with adjustable backrest. It does have armrests, because the one I had before this didn't have them and once I fell asleep at the computer and keeled over onto the floor ...

DianeGM
DianeGM  Identity Verified
Local time: 04:14
Member (2006)
Dutch to English
+ ...
I swap ... Dec 15, 2011

between a traditional office chair and my swiss ball.
I didn't know there was such a thing as a 'ball chair' - I think I'll have to try that one out for myself.

Christine Andersen
Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
A good ergonomic office chair Dec 15, 2011

... My former employer bought it, bless him, when he had a confidence upturn and recruited some new staff for his translation agency.

It came home with me when he had a downturn some years later (can't stand the sight of blood or red figures on the bottom line) - and dismissed several people. The chair, a desk and some dictionaries were part of my severance 'pay', and actually very much appreciated, once we found a way to continue our business partnership.

Last winter,
... See more
... My former employer bought it, bless him, when he had a confidence upturn and recruited some new staff for his translation agency.

It came home with me when he had a downturn some years later (can't stand the sight of blood or red figures on the bottom line) - and dismissed several people. The chair, a desk and some dictionaries were part of my severance 'pay', and actually very much appreciated, once we found a way to continue our business partnership.

Last winter, when I slipped on the snow and landed on a painful part of my anatomy, it was the only comfortable seat in the house until time and the chiropractor sorted me out!
Collapse

Catherine GUILLIAUMET
Catherine GUILLIAUMET  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
In memoriam
No sea-sick ? Dec 15, 2011

Maria Chudova wrote:

- I chose that option, although I have a SpinaliS chair. The principle is very similar, the seat is placed on a spring or perhaps a spiral - it keeps moving with each your movement, you have to keep balance. It can be tricky, when you are not prepared, my aunt almost fall of it. But my two-years old niece loves to climb there.

Maria, arent'you sea sick ? I could not use such a chair !

Mine is a classic office arm-chair (wheels, spring to adjust the height, arm-rests, high back-rest) covered with tissue (leather - pure or imitation - would not be tolerable in summer, here with a mean of 35°C in the office)
The only model that my 3 spinal disc hernias accept.

[Edited at 2011-12-15 20:08 GMT]

Maria Chudova
Maria Chudova  Identity Verified
Slovakia
Member (2008)
Spanish to Slovak
+ ...
Sea-sick? No Dec 15, 2011

No. It is somewhat strange, as after a serious surgery I do have a damaged vestibular system, but I do not get sea-sick in that chair. When I received it, I was doing many balance exercises with a ball, I had to do them to be able to walk normally, without falling - so perhaps that´s why I tolerate that chair so well.

I do get sea-sick in a car - but as a passenger in a car you cannot influence the motion - on this chair, you can. The seat reacts to your movements, the same as a b
... See more
No. It is somewhat strange, as after a serious surgery I do have a damaged vestibular system, but I do not get sea-sick in that chair. When I received it, I was doing many balance exercises with a ball, I had to do them to be able to walk normally, without falling - so perhaps that´s why I tolerate that chair so well.

I do get sea-sick in a car - but as a passenger in a car you cannot influence the motion - on this chair, you can. The seat reacts to your movements, the same as a ball, and it is quite easy to learn to predict its movements, to keep balance the same way as when you are riding a bicycle. Easier, as it is still a chair and it doesn't move more than several centimeters in each direction.

It is perfect for me - but I do not know if it can be good for you.
Collapse

David Hayes
David Hayes  Identity Verified
France
French to English
here's a thought Dec 15, 2011

Although I haven't yet followed the example, I have often been struck by photos of Cardinal Newman apparently writing his theological works standing up (he did allow himself the luxury of leaning against a high desk). Were I to adopt such austerity, it could earn me a few quid since I would be in a position to auction off my current chair (swivel, office-type) to the highest bidder. Any offers? P&P from France will be extra.

Standing up is good for backs (although no doubt most of
... See more
Although I haven't yet followed the example, I have often been struck by photos of Cardinal Newman apparently writing his theological works standing up (he did allow himself the luxury of leaning against a high desk). Were I to adopt such austerity, it could earn me a few quid since I would be in a position to auction off my current chair (swivel, office-type) to the highest bidder. Any offers? P&P from France will be extra.

Standing up is good for backs (although no doubt most of the people who write such pearls of wisdom in their medical books are actually sitting at their desk as they write), and is a good way of avoiding overwork (try doing an all-nighter in front your computer screen without a comfy chair to loll back in when the going gets tough).
Collapse

David Tugwell
David Tugwell  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Chinese to English
+ ...
kneeling chair Dec 15, 2011

I used to have back and neck problems but since switching to a kneeling chair (I don't know if they have another name) it's been plain sailing. I'd recommend them to anyone with back problems.

Alicja Weikop
Alicja Weikop  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English to Polish
+ ...
Ultimate question? Dec 15, 2011

I believe a good chair is for us as important as a good cat-tool, so I wouldn´t call this poll nonsensical, although it doesn´t ask the Ultimate question.

Maria, you have intrigued me - what is the Ultimate question?

To sit or not to sit?

_Ola_
_Ola_
Austria
German to Polish
+ ...
:-) Dec 15, 2011

Bed

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: What type of chair do you have at your workspace?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »