Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
Joan Berglund
Joan Berglund  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 10:45
Member (2008)
French to English
Yes Jan 9, 2012

I use the sunroom of our house as an office. Actually, it is one of the nicer rooms, so I have a little love seat and cafe table in it in addition to my desk and bookcases to make it look like a nice sitting room, but I don't think I have sat in here much to do anything but work. I don't believe anyone has every enjoyed a relaxing cup of coffee at the cute little table, coffee is always swilled at my desk while proofreading or answering email.

Muriel Vasconcellos
Muriel Vasconcellos  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 07:45
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Yes Jan 10, 2012

For over 40 years I have dedicated a bedroom in the houses I have lived in (5 of them over that time) to office space. The furniture is white, to keep things light and airy.

In my current arrangement, my boyfriend built bookshelves that start at the ceiling and stop about 4.5 feet short of the floor. That way, the room's entire footprint can be used for furniture, should someone later want to turn it back into a bedroom.

It's on a dark side of the house, and I was hav
... See more
For over 40 years I have dedicated a bedroom in the houses I have lived in (5 of them over that time) to office space. The furniture is white, to keep things light and airy.

In my current arrangement, my boyfriend built bookshelves that start at the ceiling and stop about 4.5 feet short of the floor. That way, the room's entire footprint can be used for furniture, should someone later want to turn it back into a bedroom.

It's on a dark side of the house, and I was having to use electric lights during the day, even though it has a window, so I put in two 2' x 4' skylights, and now it has lovely light all day long.
Collapse

Antonio Tomás Lessa do Amaral
Antonio Tomás Lessa do Amaral
English to Portuguese
+ ...
I ag Jan 12, 2012

Nicole Schnell wrote:

Don't ask me why - I have become allergic to the phrase "working from home". Sounds like a house wife making some money on the side by stuffing envelopes or baking cookies.

No one who has ever worked in this profession - more than full-time and with all the times-zones involved can ever imagine that your home stops being your home as soon as you work there. You can never, ever go home from work and close the door behind you.

We moved into a larger house two years ago. Office space is taking up three rooms by now. Telephones everywhere. Wireless network seeping through the walls 24/7. I don't know if this is healthy. Every corner of the house screams: Work! Work! There is no privacy as long as you don't turn off the machines and the phones.

Wow, my grammar sucketh at this time of day. But I won't edit anything. It's 3:20 am and I am at work. At home or at the office?

[Edited at 2012-01-09 11:43 GMT]

Yelena Fukalova
Yelena Fukalova
Russian Federation
Local time: 16:45
English to Russian
Yes Jan 26, 2012

Have a chance to be Mum, a housewife, an English teacher and a freelancer.

pamgreen2014
pamgreen2014
Philippines
Poll: Do you work at home? Jan 30, 2014

Yes, I do work at home!

We have a small room in the house, that's where I work everyday.

work from home

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Do you work at home?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »