Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Poll: Did you have a mentor?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
Feb 1, 2012

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "Did you have a mentor?".

View the poll results »

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Local time: 22:20
Spanish to English
+ ...
No Feb 1, 2012

But apparently am one.

John Cutler
John Cutler  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
No one specific person Feb 1, 2012

One specific person, no.

I do, however, have many people who have taught me things about translation (and other areas of learning). It's good to be open to learn from as many people as possible. I've had lots of people who have inspired me in one way or another over the years.

David Hayes
David Hayes  Identity Verified
France
French to English
No Feb 1, 2012

No, but would very much like to have one! In addition to more general learning from books and courses (which I try to keep up), individual contact to deal with specific translation issues/problems in the material I work on would be invaluable.

Alistair Ian Spearing Ortiz
Alistair Ian Spearing Ortiz  Identity Verified
Spain
French to English
+ ...
But... Feb 1, 2012

I am acting as a mentor now!

Maciek Pastuszka
Maciek Pastuszka  Identity Verified
Poland
English to Polish
+ ...
No Feb 1, 2012

I believe the promotion of the mentoring programme by Proz.com is an excellent idea. A reliable and successful apprentice can add to the reputation of his mentor. It might also serve the clients, since they will have access to the professional history (WWA, KudoZ, etc.) of both the teacher and the student.

I've always believed more in mentoring programmes/systems rather than "standardized" education.

Christine Andersen
Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
Same here Feb 1, 2012

John Cutler wrote:

One specific person, no.

I do, however, have many people who have taught me things about translation (and other areas of learning). It's good to be open to learn from as many people as possible. I've had lots of people who have inspired me in one way or another over the years.

Some people I regard especially as my mentors were colleagues at the agency where I worked in house at the start of my translating career.

I would not say mentoring was better than standardised education, as I also count a couple of very inspiring university lecturers among my mentors.

There are standard things that can just as easily be taught in classes as individually, provided there is also time to work individually with students as they did.

Thanks to all those who have shared their knowledge and experience, some of which I humbly try to pass on.

Happy translating!

[Edited at 2012-02-01 09:44 GMT]

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 21:20
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
No Feb 1, 2012

But back when I worked as an in-house translator I mentored some junior colleagues...

Phillippa May Bennett
Phillippa May Bennett
Portugal
Portuguese to English
No... Feb 1, 2012

But I've given advice/tips to translators starting out in the business...

Antonio Fajardo
Antonio Fajardo  Identity Verified
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
Yes Feb 1, 2012

Not as a translator, yes as an interpreter, and a great one.

Anis Farhat
Anis Farhat
Tunisia
Arabic to English
+ ...
No Feb 1, 2012

No, but I would like to have one. However, I still consider my University Professor as a mentor.

Parrot
Parrot  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
No Feb 1, 2012

But current status does not reflect past status, if results seek to look into the mentoring system per se.

Xanthippe
Xanthippe
France
Member (2008)
Italian to French
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Other... Feb 1, 2012

No, I do not have a mentor in proz neither in translation but I do have a mentor in business and I'm also a mentor in business.

I don't know if my answer can help...

Lifeng Yang (X)
Lifeng Yang (X)  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 04:20
English to Chinese
+ ...
Yes Feb 1, 2012

Didn't have one when I began my career as a translator.

All I had was my target language competency.

Then I worked as an in-house tech staff in an agency, where I met some really experienced translators.

They taught me a lot.

And from last November I paid for some proz webinars.

Those presenters are really nice mentors.

[Edited at 2012-02-01 23:53 GMT]

Mario Chavez (X)
Mario Chavez (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 16:20
English to Spanish
+ ...
Yes, yes, I did have a mentor Feb 1, 2012

Leticia Molinero, a member of the North American Academy of Spanish Language, was my main mentor back in the early 90s in New York City. A prolific translator and capable writer and magazine editor (Apuntes), she entrusted me with proofing and editing her translations first, then we teamed up for some interesting technical translations. I call her my mentor, although she doesn't know it.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Did you have a mentor?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »