Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3] >
Poll: Does your income allow you to save?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
Melanie Nassar
Melanie Nassar  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 20:13
German to English
+ ...
yes, theoretically Feb 3, 2012

My income allows me to save plenty, but my children do not (still have one in medical school and one working on his MA). But two are self-sufficient finally. For a while, I had four at the university at the same time!

My husband has a pension plan, but I don't, except Social Security. But I am debt-free and the house is paid for, so that's something.

Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL
Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 18:13
Member (2004)
English to Italian
Nope... Feb 3, 2012

not with a mortgage, 2 cars, 4 children (one at uni), 4 cats, one dog and a gold-fish... and all the other expenses, obviously... but we get by...

Nicole Schnell
Nicole Schnell  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 10:13
English to German
+ ...
In memoriam
Those gold-fishes are the worst. Feb 3, 2012

Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL wrote:

not with a mortgage, 2 cars, 4 children (one at uni), 4 cats, one dog and a gold-fish... and all the other expenses, obviously... but we get by...

Sooner or later they will ruin you.

United Kingdom
Member (2004)
English to Italian
How do you know? Feb 3, 2012

Nicole Schnell wrote:

Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL wrote:

Sooner or later they will ruin you.

He is massive and eats more than my springador!

monica.m
monica.m
Italy
Local time: 19:13
Member (2011)
German to Italian
+ ...
I don't know Feb 3, 2012

I still have to pay taxes this year!

Veronica Lupascu
Veronica Lupascu  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Dutch to Romanian
+ ...
Being still in my twenties Feb 3, 2012

and with only 3 years translation experience and only 9 months of full time freelancing, I answered no.

But I should consider the fact that since I started earning more we gave a wedding party, moved to another apartment, bought a dog and a new(er) car. Oh, and gave the Christmas party in the new apartment... so, I didn't manage to save anything yet.

I believe God will help me to keep my business at lea
... See more
and with only 3 years translation experience and only 9 months of full time freelancing, I answered no.

But I should consider the fact that since I started earning more we gave a wedding party, moved to another apartment, bought a dog and a new(er) car. Oh, and gave the Christmas party in the new apartment... so, I didn't manage to save anything yet.

I believe God will help me to keep my business at least the way it was last year and then I will be able to save.

But I have a good pension plan and a very good health insurance.
Collapse

R. Alex Jenkins
R. Alex Jenkins  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 14:13
Member (2006)
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Not significantly Feb 3, 2012

It's the same circular pattern or question on why one becomes, or works as, a translator.

It certainly isn't for the money.

I used to work in IT, earning significantly more, always saving and planning for where I'd be in x amount of years. Mostly miserable and unhappy, always wanting to get away from it all, to do something different.

Now I mostly think about where I am today/this week/this summer, and hope that I can carry on doing what I'm doing for the f
... See more
It's the same circular pattern or question on why one becomes, or works as, a translator.

It certainly isn't for the money.

I used to work in IT, earning significantly more, always saving and planning for where I'd be in x amount of years. Mostly miserable and unhappy, always wanting to get away from it all, to do something different.

Now I mostly think about where I am today/this week/this summer, and hope that I can carry on doing what I'm doing for the foreseeable future. It's more about now, now, and less about tomorrow, before.
Collapse

Rebecca Garber
Rebecca Garber  Identity Verified
Local time: 13:13
Member (2005)
German to English
+ ...
It depends on how you define income Feb 3, 2012

My income is earmarked for the health insurance, the computer expenses, and our daughter's private school tuition. That wipes it out.
My husband's income pays the mortgage, utilities, other bills, and taxes.

Together, we do earn enough to save some, but not as much as I would like.
Before, when I worked for university, my entire salary went into the retirement accounts. That money is still there, so we're not particularly worried as yet.

Nina Khmielnitzky
Nina Khmielnitzky  Identity Verified
Canada
Member (2004)
English to French
Yes, but barely Feb 3, 2012

With my regular in-house income, I pay everything, with a little left to set aside. The last two years have been dead in terms of freelancing, which used to add an extra 20% to my regular income and allowed me to travel, etc. Hopefully, this year, business will pick up. I'm being more proactive in my reasearch of clients.

Sonia Hill
Sonia Hill
United Kingdom
Italian to English
No Feb 3, 2012

I make a decent amount from translating, but I should mention that I have two young children in childcare, a big mortgage and a husband whose business is struggling.

I do make enough to pay into a private pension, although not a great deal. Once my children start school I think things will be easier.

Emma Goldsmith
Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2004)
Spanish to English
After-nappy expenses Feb 3, 2012

Sonia Atkinson wrote:

Once my children start school I think things will be easier.

It will be a great relief when you no longer have to pay for childcare. Then you will only have to face school fees (possibly), books, uniforms, out-of-school activities, summer camps, pocket money, orthodontics (that's a big one), later followed by clothing allowances, driving lessons, uni ...
Then ask Giovanni what happens when one of the kids wants a goldfish...

Nicole Schnell
Nicole Schnell  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 10:13
English to German
+ ...
In memoriam
Off topic: Happy birthday, Julian! Feb 3, 2012

JulianHolmes wrote:

Since I'll be turning 55 tomorrow

Elena Novski
Elena Novski
Canada
Russian to English
+ ...
You need to be flexible Feb 3, 2012

JulianHolmes wrote:

Since I'll be turning 55 tomorrow, I reckon I have a good 20 to 25 years of translation ahead of me. And I like working. Translation's a life of learning and learning's fun.

... same thing about me...
Happy B-Day, Julian!

United Kingdom
Member (2004)
English to Italian
lol... Feb 3, 2012

Emma Goldsmith wrote:

Then ask Giovanni what happens when one of the kids wants a goldfish...

It tips the balance, like the Monty Python sketch...

Cecilia Civetta
Cecilia Civetta  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2003)
Italian to Spanish
+ ...
Right... Feb 4, 2012

dsd-sl wrote:

I still have to pay taxes this year!

In this country you never know how much taxes you'll have to pay. Therefore, you can never know how much you have been able to save, or if you have saved at all!

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Does your income allow you to save?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »