Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3] >
Poll: The worst thing a translator can do would be...
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
Ty Kendall
Ty Kendall  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 05:06
Hebrew to English
Delusion Feb 27, 2012

Being delusional about your abilities, not being qualified and then clogging up KudoZ with constant questions for other people to translate for you.

That's the worst sin. Moses should have etched that onto those stones before he came back down from the mountain.

Thou shalt not have delusions of being a translator when thou hast not the ability.

Tim Drayton
Tim Drayton  Identity Verified
Cyprus
Local time: 07:06
Turkish to English
+ ...
Agreed Feb 27, 2012

Muriel Vasconcellos wrote:

Everything else can be forgiven, but I have seen translators pilloried for major linguistic errors. Here are some cases that ruined the translators' reputations.

1. In translating a conference resolution on appointing a new auditor, the translator understood that the previous one had died, and in fact he had merely retired. This was at an international conference, and the resolution about to be submitted to a vote. He was fired on the spot and sent home.

2. In referring to tuberculosis patients who had dropped out of treatment and were lost in follow-up, a contract translator decided they had gone to Heaven. This infuriated his supervisor who never used his services again.

3. In the translation of an important diagnosis that said the tissue was "indemne" in Spanish, the translator said 'damaged', which misled doctors. Think of how a mistake in dosage or administration of a drug could change a person's life.

4. Then there was the interpreter (I know who he was--he confessed it to me) who translated "frozen semen" into Spanish as 'marineros congelados'. He never worked as an interpreter again.

I agree. To extrapolate from this point, the worst error that a translator could make would be one that caused death. Even worse than that would be an error that was responsible for multiple fatalities, or caused serious health problems for large numbers of people.

Wolfgang Vogt
Wolfgang Vogt  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 01:06
English to German
+ ...
it depends... Feb 27, 2012

I guess it always depends on a couple of factors. But a simple change from 1,000mg to 1.000mg can really make a BIG difference.

I voted for spellchecking though, as it seems the most frequent thing and is most easy to avoid. Apart from that, there is no possible justification. Missing a deadline is also pretty bad, but if you plan ahead a bit it should be very easy to avoid (you can always outsource a part in the worst case).

David Hayes
David Hayes  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 06:06
French to English
Most of them Feb 27, 2012

I think all the categories are evidence of an unprofessional approach. But, let's not be too hard on ourselves! Most of us work for agencies, who have internal quality-control processes. They therefore have to accept some responsibility if they do not spot the few tiny errors that a professional translator may not always spot (we all know how difficult it is to proofread our own work).

Also, I have known clients with an inflated idea of their own knowledge of the target language, i
... See more
I think all the categories are evidence of an unprofessional approach. But, let's not be too hard on ourselves! Most of us work for agencies, who have internal quality-control processes. They therefore have to accept some responsibility if they do not spot the few tiny errors that a professional translator may not always spot (we all know how difficult it is to proofread our own work).

Also, I have known clients with an inflated idea of their own knowledge of the target language, insisting on tinkering with the translation after delivery, even when it has already been checked and checked again. In this instance, any errors are entirely the client's responsibility.

The existence of professional insurance for translators is a humbling acknowledgement that we cannot ever hope to be 100% immune from error. Of course, we should be aiming at that all the time.
Collapse

writeaway
writeaway  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
Other: to lie Feb 27, 2012

About their native language, their knowledge of fields, the ability to meet tight deadlines, etc. etc. Imo, it's not unprofessional be honest when assessing oneself. Self-assessment should be realistic without an exaggerated level of self-overestimation.

Mario Chavez (X)
Mario Chavez (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 00:06
English to Spanish
+ ...
What about “All of the above”? Feb 27, 2012

It seems logical.

Mario Chavez (X)
Mario Chavez (X)  Identity Verified
English to Spanish
+ ...
Frozen seamen? Feb 27, 2012

Muriel Vasconcelos wrote:

4. Then there was the interpreter (I know who he was--he confessed it to me) who translated "frozen semen" into Spanish as 'marineros congelados'. He never worked as an interpreter again.

Hahahahahahah! Hilarious!

Now, many of the instances as shared by Muriel are cases of interpreters gone bad (so to speak).

Mario

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Other Feb 27, 2012

Most of the above, if not all.

I don't have much to add, except to say on the subject of unknown subject areas/fields that I often revise (or "proofread") the English of texts written about things that I no nothing of very little about, for example, cell biology, genetics, medical and fuzzy logic, to name but a few. The clients or authors are under no illusion that I know anything about the actual content per se, but are confident that between us we can produce a paper, article or b
... See more
Most of the above, if not all.

I don't have much to add, except to say on the subject of unknown subject areas/fields that I often revise (or "proofread") the English of texts written about things that I no nothing of very little about, for example, cell biology, genetics, medical and fuzzy logic, to name but a few. The clients or authors are under no illusion that I know anything about the actual content per se, but are confident that between us we can produce a paper, article or book fit for publication. I also occasionally translate texts in areas I no nothing about either. Before accepting the job I have a look at it and if I feel I can "have a bash" at it I'll usually go ahead, whether I am familiar with the field or not.

Some might disapprove, but I don't see it as any worse than translating into a language not my own, which many people do without qualms.

PS: The "seaman vs semen" type of slip-up is a common or garden mistake due to homophony. I'm mortified to think that anyone would consider giving up their profession for such a trifling mistake. After all, nobody's perfect and the best thing to do IMO would have been to make a joke of it.
Spotting misheard movie subtitles is one of my pastimes and if you try it you'll see that such minor misunderstandings are all over the place.

[Edited at 2012-02-27 16:03 GMT]
Collapse

Patricia Charnet
Patricia Charnet
United Kingdom
Member (2009)
English to French
semen Feb 27, 2012

common one! I've heard of that one amongst French interpreters - appalled by the number of interpreters who've done it. Venturing into the medical fields without any medical knowledge at all.

overstating one's capacities and relying on others to correct it then making a disappearing act.

the number of times I had to correct mistakes of others, and doing some repair work with a client translation-wise or the number of times I've had a client complaining about an interpr
... See more
common one! I've heard of that one amongst French interpreters - appalled by the number of interpreters who've done it. Venturing into the medical fields without any medical knowledge at all.

overstating one's capacities and relying on others to correct it then making a disappearing act.

the number of times I had to correct mistakes of others, and doing some repair work with a client translation-wise or the number of times I've had a client complaining about an interpreter and not understanding the interpreting.

criticising the work of others when clearly one does not have the competency to do so in the 1st place

trying to fool others into pretending to be a native speaker when clearly one is not!

not being professional and putting the professionals into disrepute.
Collapse

monica.m
monica.m
Italy
Member (2011)
German to Italian
+ ...
The worst mistake Feb 27, 2012

The worst mistake is very simple to me.

Is not to read the target text as a third person would do.
Just to find a logic in it! Even if the subject is abstruse, still there must be a logic in it!

Madalena Ribeiro
Madalena Ribeiro  Identity Verified
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Care Feb 27, 2012

To work without care.

Rosa Grau (X)
Rosa Grau (X)
Spain
English to Catalan
+ ...
Worst thing? Feb 27, 2012

Not to forgive him/herself the mistake.

Gabriela Abraham
Gabriela Abraham  Identity Verified
Mexico
Member (2004)
English to Spanish
Other: two of the above Feb 27, 2012

I believe translators (and all professionals) should be aware of their own limitations. Accepting a project on a subject matter you don't know is not professional, neither is translating into a language that's not your mother tongue unless the client is aware of it and understands the implications.

As for the honest human error (like semen/seamen), fortunately for us, translating is still a human process, errors will happen...

janen
janen
Local time: 16:06
Spanish to English
+ ...
outsourcing Feb 27, 2012

I think it depends very much on the particular circumstances, and I agree with the comment that breach of confidentiality could be the worst in some cases.
But I think that outsourcing should be on the list. I know that my clients select translators for particular jobs and take a dim view of translators who outsource.

Marlene Blanshay
Marlene Blanshay  Identity Verified
Canada
Member (2009)
French to English
+ ...
most of them Feb 27, 2012

accepting a tight deadline though...not a problem! unless it's a ridiculously long text.

The story about the Tuberculosis patients who 'went to heaven' cracked me up!!

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: The worst thing a translator can do would be...

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »