Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Poll: Is your current job your "dream job"?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
Mar 4, 2012

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "Is your current job your "dream job"?".

View the poll results »

Ty Kendall
Ty Kendall  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 16:32
Hebrew to English
Yes, but.... Mar 4, 2012

...you have to wake up from your dream sooner or later i.e. it doesn't necessarily mean I'll translate forever.

Also, even the best dreams can sometimes become nightmares.

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Local time: 17:32
Spanish to English
+ ...
Other Mar 4, 2012

In principle, yes, more or less, but then again, but what are the alternatives? Make me a better offer and I'll give it some thought....

Noni Gilbert Riley
Noni Gilbert Riley
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
I will not employ other people.... Mar 4, 2012

....in my "next life".

The combination of being responsible for there being enough to pay with, and of trying to ensure they all do their jobs is something I would dearly love to live without. Too late now, I've made my bed....

Nicole Schnell
Nicole Schnell  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 08:32
English to German
+ ...
In memoriam
Not sure what is meant by "job". Mar 4, 2012

Do you mean the current project that you are working on?
Because I don't consider being a translator "a job" - it's a profession, and if you do it right, a career.

If you mean projects, though - yes, there are true dream jobs that can be showcased for years to come compared to the usual bread-and-butter-jobs.

Muriel Vasconcellos
Muriel Vasconcellos  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 08:32
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Yes Mar 4, 2012

I can't think of anything I'd rather do. At this point in my life, in fact, there's not much else I could do. I'm happy.

I earned it. I spent decades translating in-house. I liked the work, but getting up early, getting dressed in fancy clothes, and fighting traffic to get to the office is cruel and unusual punishment.

Julian Holmes
Julian Holmes  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 00:32
Member (2011)
Japanese to English
Yes Mar 4, 2012

My job or "profession" (thanks, Nicole!) - or life's calling, if you like - found me. It was karma at first sight!

Now, whether or not this dream turns into a nightmare (thanks Ty!) is completely up to me and fate. Unless someone else dangles a really nice carrot in front of me (thanks, neilmac!).

Quite frankly, if I didn't like what I'm
... See more
My job or "profession" (thanks, Nicole!) - or life's calling, if you like - found me. It was karma at first sight!

Now, whether or not this dream turns into a nightmare (thanks Ty!) is completely up to me and fate. Unless someone else dangles a really nice carrot in front of me (thanks, neilmac!).

Quite frankly, if I didn't like what I'm doing after all these 28 years, I think I would have started digging ditches or planting vegetables by now.

Happy translating!
Collapse

Thayenga
Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
Part of it Mar 4, 2012

Although I love my present job as translator, it is still only half of my "dream job", actually plural "jobs". My real dream job(s) is to part-time translate and part-time write...and be able to live of both.

Patricia Charnet
Patricia Charnet
United Kingdom
Member (2009)
English to French
yes Mar 4, 2012

I've varied my job by combining interpreting, translation and tuition to have regular business contacts, and I can do pretty much what I want. I'ts varied, I've managed to have regular work, I enjoy all aspects of my work, and I always like it that I can take a break when I fancy it in the day.

It has its stresses but it's a nice profession - and I don't have to put up with what most people have to put up with in an office! It's not always paid very well, but things are improving w
... See more
I've varied my job by combining interpreting, translation and tuition to have regular business contacts, and I can do pretty much what I want. I'ts varied, I've managed to have regular work, I enjoy all aspects of my work, and I always like it that I can take a break when I fancy it in the day.

It has its stresses but it's a nice profession - and I don't have to put up with what most people have to put up with in an office! It's not always paid very well, but things are improving with the profession getting more professional and serious.

Plus, if you're savvy, you make the most of it and be happy with it

no profession is perfect.
Collapse

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Do them all! Mar 4, 2012

Julian Holmes wrote:

Quite frankly, if I didn't like what I'm doing after all these 28 years, I think I would have started digging ditches or planting vegetables by now.

Happy translating!

Translating, growing vegetables and raising chickens are not necessarily exclusive activities; in fact for me one of the perks of freelancing from home is being able to do them all at the same time!

Julian Holmes
Julian Holmes  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 00:32
Member (2011)
Japanese to English
I quite agree Mar 4, 2012

I should have added "full time" after "digging ditches or planting vegetables."

neilmac wrote:

Translating, growing vegetables and raising chickens are not necessarily exclusive activities; in fact for me one of the perks of freelancing from home is being able to do them all at the same time!

I'll tell this to my chickens, cabbage patch and drainage around my dirt patch.

Yes, being able to vary our work schedule and other work-related priorities as we like is a huge advantage of our dreamlike profession.

Beats 9-5 in a cubicle any day. Cheers!

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Dream profession? Mar 4, 2012

I wouldn't go so far as to say that, but now it suits me fine, though I must confess that from time to time (generally when I have a problem!) I do miss the camaraderie and being part of a team (I was an in-house translator for more than 20 years).

nweatherdon
nweatherdon
Canada
French to English
+ ...
In some respects, but I'd never thought about doing translation before I started doing it Mar 4, 2012

A number of aspects fit the bill of what I think would be my dream job, but until starting this kind of work I only had a vague notion that adding more language skills to the mix would one day give more and better options for putting other skills, experience and knowledge to some kind of use that would pay the bills.

I am free to travel or stay put as I please so long as I'm connected and ready to apply myself when work arises, the subject matter of most of my work deals with topics
... See more
A number of aspects fit the bill of what I think would be my dream job, but until starting this kind of work I only had a vague notion that adding more language skills to the mix would one day give more and better options for putting other skills, experience and knowledge to some kind of use that would pay the bills.

I am free to travel or stay put as I please so long as I'm connected and ready to apply myself when work arises, the subject matter of most of my work deals with topics that I'm fairly or highly interested in, I work an average of 6-8 days full days month (I'm productive) that comes in patches through the year, and can take pride in producing work that my clients are happy with.

In the long run I'm not sure that I would find it satisfying to only do translation for work because I'd like get myself more involved in the synthesis of stuff that I'm interested in (written and musical composition, project design/management), but in the meantime I have the time to pursue other interests while earning an income that does not leave me wanting.

Collapse

Nicole Y. Adams, M.A.
Nicole Y. Adams, M.A.
Australia
Local time: 01:32
Member (2006)
German to English
+ ...
Absolutely! Mar 5, 2012

Absolutely! Wild horses couldn't drag me back into an office (that's not mine)!

Mario Chavez (X)
Mario Chavez (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 11:32
English to Spanish
+ ...
Channeling U2? Mar 5, 2012

Nicole Y. Adams, M.A. wrote:

Absolutely! Wild horses couldn't drag me back into an office (that's not mine)!

Nicole's quote reminds me of a U2 song, “Who's gonna ride your wild horses.” But that's beside the point.

A few of my colleagues have worked in in-house positions for years and now that they are independent contractors, they do not miss them at all. Interesting.

Life has pingballed me between in-house and independent positions. Some days, I wish I had more structure and a steady paycheck. Other days, not so much. I guess it depends on a number of variables in our lives, like having a family to take care of, enjoying other pursuits better performed at home, with more free time, etc.

The poll's question makes a few assumptions, among them that we all share the same definition of a dream job and that we all hold just a job (maybe that's the pollster's bias).

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Is your current job your "dream job"?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »