Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Poll: Do you take a nap after lunch?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
Mar 18, 2012

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "Do you take a nap after lunch?".

This poll was originally submitted by Hirofumi Murata. View the poll results »

Susanna Martoni
Susanna Martoni  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 23:22
Member (2009)
Spanish to Italian
+ ...
Sometimes, yes Mar 18, 2012

One of the advandages of our job!

Interlangue (X)
Interlangue (X)
Angola
English to French
+ ...
Sometimes Mar 18, 2012

When the temperature gets very hot... which is not very often around here!

William Murphy
William Murphy  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2009)
Italian to English
+ ...
20 minutes to recharge the batteries... Mar 18, 2012

Here in Italy most things slow down (or come to a definite halt) from 12:30 - 3:30 pm. I schedule my lunch accordingly and definitely allot the time needed to digest and refresh.

Unless I'm in up to my neck in something (in which case I probably got an early start), I always take a break at midday and do without any breaks in the morning or afternoon in order to justify it.

In my experience working full-throttle all day every day just isn't viable.

Christine Andersen
Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
Preferably not! Mar 18, 2012

I'm a slow starter, and it is bad enough having to get up once in the day.
I feel grumpy and get out of bed the wrong side if I take a nap!

But especially in the winter, I do like to get out for some fresh air and see daylight before it gets dark again, so I may go for a short walk.

Otherwise I enjoy a short break and a good cup of coffee, then back to work in earnest - I get up to speed and wor
... See more
I'm a slow starter, and it is bad enough having to get up once in the day.
I feel grumpy and get out of bed the wrong side if I take a nap!

But especially in the winter, I do like to get out for some fresh air and see daylight before it gets dark again, so I may go for a short walk.

Otherwise I enjoy a short break and a good cup of coffee, then back to work in earnest - I get up to speed and work best in the afternoon and evening.

Now the days are getting longer, I prefer to go out in the early evening instead.
Collapse

Mario Chavez (X)
Mario Chavez (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 18:22
English to Spanish
+ ...
Not a nap after lunch...but in mid afternoon :) Mar 18, 2012

I have very strange napping habits:

a) I usually nap at around 4-6 p.m.
b) My naps last for 1-1.5 hours

I'm a night person.

Marijke Singer
Marijke Singer  Identity Verified
Spain
Dutch to English
+ ...
I nap most days Mar 18, 2012

I get up at 5 though. At one I have my lunch and go to bed for a couple of hours. Nothing is more refreshing. I usually work between 4 and 7 or 8. I do walk my dogs for an hour or 2 every day too (in the morning and evening; someone else walks them in the afternoon).

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Sometimes Mar 18, 2012

I used to do it all the time because I would usually eat out and drink wine at lunchtime and needed to recover. Nowadays I only do it if I am feeling really tired or unwell, and I make use of the time between lunch and dusk for translation, doing garden chores, walking the dog and putting the hens to bed by sundown.

Lifeng Yang (X)
Lifeng Yang (X)  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 06:22
English to Chinese
+ ...
What an idyllic scene! Mar 18, 2012

How I wish I could work in such an environment!

neilmac wrote:

I used to do it all the time because I would usually eat out and drink wine at lunchtime and needed to recover. Nowadays I only do it if I am feeling really tired or unwell, and I make use of the time between lunch and dusk for translation, doing garden chores, walking the dog and putting the hens to bed by sundown.

Georgia Morg (X)
Georgia Morg (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 22:22
Portuguese to English
Always Mar 18, 2012

Well, of course it's not "always", there are doctors'/dentists'/other appointments at times, but since there wasn't a "99%" option, I've gone for the nearest! I get up early, around 5.30am, do my best work between six and noon, then take the afternoon off and start up again around 4pm. I live in Brazil but would do the same even in my hometown, London. I find a siesta refreshing and, getting up so early, necessary. For me 12 - 4pm is when my energy levels are pretty low anyway and I wouldn't get... See more
Well, of course it's not "always", there are doctors'/dentists'/other appointments at times, but since there wasn't a "99%" option, I've gone for the nearest! I get up early, around 5.30am, do my best work between six and noon, then take the afternoon off and start up again around 4pm. I live in Brazil but would do the same even in my hometown, London. I find a siesta refreshing and, getting up so early, necessary. For me 12 - 4pm is when my energy levels are pretty low anyway and I wouldn't get anything done. If I don't nap I might watch a movie or read a novel, but never work.Collapse

Ty Kendall
Ty Kendall  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Hebrew to English
Snap! Mar 18, 2012

neilmac wrote:
putting the hens to bed by sundown.

I worship sleep, so I grab a cat nap if I can at some point in the afternoon, the time varies - depends when I woke up, what I've been doing etc. 3 o'clock is pretty much optimal but also having chickens, I have to make sure I'm awake for sunset to put them away before the foxes come out to play. The ducks are guinea fowl are left out to their own fate but always manage to survive.

(The ducks find refuge on the ponds and the guinea fowl roost high above the ground in the trees, on the barn roof).

[Edited at 2012-03-18 13:31 GMT]

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Better not! Mar 18, 2012

I always have a headache after I take a nap and alike Christine I feel grumpy...

David Wright
David Wright  Identity Verified
Austria
German to English
+ ...
Other Mar 18, 2012

BEFORE lunch! (and sometimes after) I nap for at most three minutes and it is most refreshing, and if the job I'm on is rather dull and with no great time pressure, I might nap several times.

Elías Sauza
Elías Sauza  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 16:22
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
I love it Mar 18, 2012

I take a nap to recharge batteries whenever I feel I need it, but usually after dinner. I have some excelent options around my home office for that purpose.

This is my dream job.

inkweaver
inkweaver  Identity Verified
Germany
French to German
+ ...
No, never Mar 18, 2012

I know that sleeping during the day makes me feel incredibly grumpy and sort of drowsy for the rest of the day so I never take a nap, although I tend to get up quite early (usually around 5 am).

I prefer to take some exercise during my breaks from work as I find that far more refreshing.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Do you take a nap after lunch?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »