Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Poll: Have you ever fallen asleep while translating?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
Vesna Maširević
Vesna Maširević  Identity Verified
Serbia
Local time: 04:49
Member (2011)
English to Serbian
+ ...
zzzzzzzzzzzzzz Apr 1, 2012

Julian Holmes wrote:

If you slump over the keyboard, try not to hit the Z key with your nose.

Sweet dreamzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Z is the most critical key because it's in one place when I'm using Serbian and in another when I'm using English keyboard and I don't think I know where my nose is by now (let alone the Z) but thanks!

Mario Chavez (X)
Mario Chavez (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 22:49
English to Spanish
+ ...
Just like Neo... Apr 1, 2012

Julian Holmes wrote:

...but while I was taking a quick early morning nap.

I was working on an old Mac Plus. If you remember these keyboards they didn't have all the bells and whistles (e.g. function keys, Alt, Ctrl, etc.) on them like keyboards for 9800 PCs and other Windows machines used to have. All the letters were close to the outer edge of the keyboard.
I woke up to the familiar pinging noise you used to get on the old Plus's to find about 30 pages worth of zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz's entered in the file I was working on.

I'd slumped over my desk and fallen asleep with my nose on the Z key which was right at the botton lefthand corner.

True story

Happy napping!

Hahah! I work at home, so I nap quite often. But I never fell asleep while translating. Now, the visual of Julian asleep atop his keyboard reminds me of hero Neo in The Matrix.

Marlene Blanshay
Marlene Blanshay  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 22:49
Member (2009)
French to English
+ ...
the zzz Apr 1, 2012

story was hilarious actually...like those times during exams when you'd cram all night and fall asleep at your desk!

Muriel Vasconcellos
Muriel Vasconcellos  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 19:49
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Often Apr 2, 2012

Like Henry. Maybe it happens when translators get older.

Actually, I had a chair that was far too comfortable. It was an upholstered shell, on rollers, originally intended as a dining-room chair. It supported me when I fell asleep, and that was happening so often that I finally got rid of the chair. The new one wakes me up as I nod off.

Interlangue (X)
Interlangue (X)
Angola
Local time: 04:49
English to French
+ ...
Never Apr 2, 2012

...because I translate at my desk and when the call of the bed a few yards away becomes too loud, I walk the distance and collapse there, not on my keybord!
I listen to my body too: I do not think an exhausted body (and brain) can produce quality!

Allison Wright (X)
Allison Wright (X)  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 03:49
Never Apr 2, 2012

I cannot work right through the night like I used to on occasion though. I think it has something to do with wearing spectacles, and eye fatigue. I keep a very straight posture when working at the desk; when I can not longer sit upright, I know it is time to hit the pillow.

Just reading everyone's contributions here has induced yawning and that's after a good seven hours' sleep at the normal time (night time!).

Thanks, Julian for the tip about the Z key! I am off to org
... See more
I cannot work right through the night like I used to on occasion though. I think it has something to do with wearing spectacles, and eye fatigue. I keep a very straight posture when working at the desk; when I can not longer sit upright, I know it is time to hit the pillow.

Just reading everyone's contributions here has induced yawning and that's after a good seven hours' sleep at the normal time (night time!).

Thanks, Julian for the tip about the Z key! I am off to organise more incoming coffee.
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Have you ever fallen asleep while translating?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »