Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >
Poll: Have you authored and published any books?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
Apr 4, 2012

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "Have you authored and published any books?".

This poll was originally submitted by Rosa Grau. View the poll results »

Mary Worby
Mary Worby  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 20:34
German to English
+ ...
No Apr 4, 2012

But when did writing become authoring?

Noni Gilbert Riley
Noni Gilbert Riley
Spain
Local time: 21:34
Spanish to English
+ ...
I write books Apr 4, 2012

I don't author them. But then I write them in British English, I suppose.

And all of that is actually hypothetical

Ty Kendall
Ty Kendall  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Hebrew to English
Just because you can, doesn't mean you should! Apr 4, 2012

Just because you can (theoretically) make any noun into a verb in English, it really doesn't mean you should....

"to author" is almost as bad as "to gift" .....

And no, I've never written or published a book.

Usage Note: The verb author, which had been out of use for a long period, has been rejuvenated in recent years with the sense "to assume responsibility for the content of a pub
... See more
Just because you can (theoretically) make any noun into a verb in English, it really doesn't mean you should....

"to author" is almost as bad as "to gift" .....

And no, I've never written or published a book.

Usage Note: The verb author, which had been out of use for a long period, has been rejuvenated in recent years with the sense "to assume responsibility for the content of a published text." As such it is not quite synonymous with the verb write
http://www.thefreedictionary.com/author

and no, I've never "assumed responsibility for the content of a published text" either....wow! that's one contrived verb! :-/

[Edited at 2012-04-04 08:44 GMT]
Collapse

Bérangère Chevallier
Bérangère Chevallier
Spain
Member (2010)
English to French
+ ...
Yes Apr 4, 2012

This one: http://www.decitre.fr/livres/Harrap-s-Grammaire-espagnole.aspx/9780245509353 for Harrap.

Gianluca Marras
Gianluca Marras  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
written Apr 4, 2012

Yes, a book of poetry, as to the verb, author... well... writing is ok

Simon Bruni
Simon Bruni  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2009)
Spanish to English
Medalling with language Apr 4, 2012

Ty Kendall wrote:

In a similar vein, I almost stopped watching the Beijing Olympics because of the repeated use of "to medal" by British athletes and cyclists. I'm no purist when it comes to language but that really got under my skin.

Rosa Grau (X)
Rosa Grau (X)
Spain
English to Catalan
+ ...
I am sorry Apr 4, 2012

I am the author of the poll and I am not an English native speaker, but please look at this reference from the Oxford Dictionaries.

http://oxforddictionaries.com/definition/author?q=author

It seems that author is a fairly normal English verb.

In any case, I was trying to make it clear that I meant writing as the author. Most of us have materi
... See more
I am the author of the poll and I am not an English native speaker, but please look at this reference from the Oxford Dictionaries.

http://oxforddictionaries.com/definition/author?q=author

It seems that author is a fairly normal English verb.

In any case, I was trying to make it clear that I meant writing as the author. Most of us have materially written books as translators, I suppose.

And I have not published any books (yet), neither in English nor in my own language.
Collapse

Rosa Grau (X)
Rosa Grau (X)
Spain
English to Catalan
+ ...
Google results Apr 4, 2012

for "authored": 37.300.000

Perhaps they have all been written by non-native speakers.

Giunia Totaro
Giunia Totaro  Identity Verified
French to Italian
+ ...
Congratulations, Bérangère : ) Apr 4, 2012

As for me, I've published this.

http://www.peterlang.com/index.cfm?event=cmp.ccc.seitenstruktur.detailseiten&seitentyp=produkt&pk=52726

Simon Bruni
Simon Bruni  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2009)
Spanish to English
Not at all Apr 4, 2012

Rosa Grau wrote:

for "authored": 37.300.000

Perhaps they have all been written by non-native speakers.

"Authored" is widely used by native speakers. It's just one of those usages that winds up linguists because it sounds a bit affected (artificial, pretentious, and designed to impress) because there is another word, in plain English, that more clearly describes what an author does.

Thayenga
Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
authored, well, actually written :) Apr 4, 2012

I wrote a novel in German which was published by a publisher (vs. self-publishing). Also I wrote poetry books in English and self-published them (2 paperbacks and 4 e-books).

Just recently I wrote 2 German poetry books for hire. Presently I'm editing my novel (part 1 of 2) to present to an agent this summer.

[Edited at 2012-04-04 11:15 GMT]

Noni Gilbert Riley
Noni Gilbert Riley
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Sorry Rosa Apr 4, 2012

I don't think any of us wanted to attack you for using the verb - we are just complaining, as we oldies do, (sorry to tar the rest of you with my brush) about the inevitable advance/evolution of language!

You've clarified that you are really asking about being the original writer of a book, but the definition that Ty quotes from the freedictionary is actually a little bit scary - the responsibility part....

Cheers everyone

Noni

Edited to qualif
... See more
I don't think any of us wanted to attack you for using the verb - we are just complaining, as we oldies do, (sorry to tar the rest of you with my brush) about the inevitable advance/evolution of language!

You've clarified that you are really asking about being the original writer of a book, but the definition that Ty quotes from the freedictionary is actually a little bit scary - the responsibility part....

Cheers everyone

Noni

Edited to qualify "advance"!

[Edited at 2012-04-04 11:41 GMT]
Collapse

Julian Holmes
Julian Holmes  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 04:34
Member (2011)
Japanese to English
Yes, sort of Apr 4, 2012

If "writing from scratch" or technical writing can be included in the definitons of "authoring" and publishing.

I wrote a series of user's manuals for game/exercise software -- tennis, bowling, fishing, aerobics, etc. -- for a software company. This involved planning/writing the book outline, actually using the software and hardware, writing about setup and teaching the reader about how to use and proceed through the software. It was quite fun and I also got lots of exercise. ... See more
If "writing from scratch" or technical writing can be included in the definitons of "authoring" and publishing.

I wrote a series of user's manuals for game/exercise software -- tennis, bowling, fishing, aerobics, etc. -- for a software company. This involved planning/writing the book outline, actually using the software and hardware, writing about setup and teaching the reader about how to use and proceed through the software. It was quite fun and I also got lots of exercise.
Unfortunately, they lost out to Nintendo's Wii, which was a huge shame.

Happy "authoring"!
Collapse

Marlene Blanshay
Marlene Blanshay  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 15:34
Member (2009)
French to English
+ ...
yes, co-authored Apr 4, 2012

I used to write about technology, and in 2000 i co-authored a book about B2B electronic commerce. Two actually, we first did a Canadian version, then americanized version.

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Have you authored and published any books?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »