https://www.proz.com/forum/poll_discussion/222748-poll_i_read_for_recreation_in.html

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Poll: I read for recreation in...
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
Apr 14, 2012

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "I read for recreation in...".

View the poll results »

Allison Wright (X)
Allison Wright (X)  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 18:27
I am like a vacuum cleaner Apr 14, 2012

It is a long, long time since I sat for a whole day just reading for pleasure, but my weekly reading of Internet articles, news sites, and blogs typically covers four languages. As long as I get the information, I am not fussy about which of the four languages it is presented in.
I do love my mother tongue (English) though, and true pleasure comes from reading poetry in that language.

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
In 4/5 languages Apr 14, 2012

PT, FR, EN and ES, sometimes in IT, mostly weekly/monthly magazines and newspapers I subscribe. I tend to read books only in PT, FR and EN...

Patricia Charnet
Patricia Charnet
United Kingdom
Member (2009)
English to French
5 Apr 14, 2012

FR EN ES IT DE - for recreational purposes

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Local time: 19:27
Spanish to English
+ ...
Mainly two, but really "Other" Apr 14, 2012

I mostly read books for leisure in my native English when I get the chance (which isn't often), but read more Spanish newspapers, magazines and blogs etc. I also sometimes read in French, but less often nowadays.

PS: If you count Valenciano/Catalan as (a) separate language(s), then that makes 3 (or 4, if you like), although in my head I think of them as all "Spanish".

[Edited at 2012-04-14 11:58 GMT]

Hulya A
Hulya A  Identity Verified
Swedish to Turkish
+ ...
3 Apr 14, 2012

I read for recreation in Swedish, Turkish and English.

Irene Acler
Irene Acler  Identity Verified
Italy
Spanish to Italian
+ ...
Three languages Apr 14, 2012

I read in Italian, English and Spanish.

Thayenga
Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
3 Apr 14, 2012

Normally I read in 3 languages - GE - EN - ES, that is when I get the chance to read other than when I'm asked to write a book review (which is actually work ).

Sometimes (though not often enough) I also read articles in Lakota or Cheyenne.

Hege Jakobsen Lepri
Hege Jakobsen Lepri  Identity Verified
Norway
Member (2002)
English to Norwegian
+ ...
5 Apr 14, 2012

English, Italian, Norwegian, Danish, Swedish (and once in a while some woman's magazine in Spanish and German to see how much I understand without using a dictionary)

Giles Watson
Giles Watson  Identity Verified
Italy
Italian to English
In memoriam
Novels Apr 14, 2012

Apart from browsing the internet, I (re)read two or three books - mainly novels - a month in English, Italian, Modern Greek, Spanish or very occasionally French. Appropriately enough, I've just finished Περαίωση ("Completion", or perhaps "Termination" in this case, since various characters' lives are forcibly "completed" as the story unfolds), a detective novel by Petros Markaris.

My wife has recently acquired a Kindle, to which she has taken like a duck to water, but I stil
... See more
Apart from browsing the internet, I (re)read two or three books - mainly novels - a month in English, Italian, Modern Greek, Spanish or very occasionally French. Appropriately enough, I've just finished Περαίωση ("Completion", or perhaps "Termination" in this case, since various characters' lives are forcibly "completed" as the story unfolds), a detective novel by Petros Markaris.

My wife has recently acquired a Kindle, to which she has taken like a duck to water, but I still prefer paper-based books.

[Edited at 2012-04-14 16:30 GMT]
Collapse

Anna Sarah Krämer
Anna Sarah Krämer
Germany
Member (2011)
English to German
+ ...
PT - EN - DE Apr 14, 2012

I am the proud owder of a Kindle, which allows me to read for free all the stuffy old books I would have been forced to read at school (if I had gone there). What used to be torture and endless boredom is now a source of great pleasure.

I will choose the language in which the book was originally written, if possible. Or the one that I feel needs more improvement. I read for pleasure, but I never forget that I need to train the languages I work in.

I try to read in Fre
... See more
I am the proud owder of a Kindle, which allows me to read for free all the stuffy old books I would have been forced to read at school (if I had gone there). What used to be torture and endless boredom is now a source of great pleasure.

I will choose the language in which the book was originally written, if possible. Or the one that I feel needs more improvement. I read for pleasure, but I never forget that I need to train the languages I work in.

I try to read in French sometimes, but then I don't want to diversify too much. Three languages well spoken are worth more than 4 or 5 half spoken.
Collapse

Michele Fauble
Michele Fauble  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 10:27
Member (2006)
Norwegian to English
+ ...
8 languages Apr 14, 2012

English, French, German, Italian, Spanish, Swedish, Norwegian and Danish.

Helen Hagon
Helen Hagon  Identity Verified
Member (2011)
Russian to English
+ ...
A pile of books Apr 14, 2012

I usually have a pile of at least four books at the side of my bed - English (my native language) for when I am very tired and need to relax, Russian and French to practise my language skills, and German for when I feel like a challenge as I need quite of dictionary help here.

Muriel Vasconcellos
Muriel Vasconcellos  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 10:27
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Two and a half Apr 14, 2012

I am always reading in English and Portuguese--Portuguese doesn't even feel like a foreign language. When I lived in Mexico, I read a lot more in Spanish, as I also did for the many years when I worked in a Spanish-speaking environment. I also sometimes read French.

Translations are usually painful to read for pleasure. When I was younger, I plowed through the Russian classics in translation, but nowadays I stick to original texts in the languages I know how to read.

Phil Hand
Phil Hand  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 01:27
Chinese to English
Two but... Apr 15, 2012

I only do two languages (damn you Europeans and your five languages!), and I read for pleasure in both, but...
I have to say, I have long thought that one of the big issues holding back the improvement of my Chinese was the lack of decent reading material. There's no lack of quantity, but the quality of the news media here is pretty ropey, and I'm very fussy when it comes to my reading. The quality of the fiction... well, I've found several novels that seem to be worth reading, so I should
... See more
I only do two languages (damn you Europeans and your five languages!), and I read for pleasure in both, but...
I have to say, I have long thought that one of the big issues holding back the improvement of my Chinese was the lack of decent reading material. There's no lack of quantity, but the quality of the news media here is pretty ropey, and I'm very fussy when it comes to my reading. The quality of the fiction... well, I've found several novels that seem to be worth reading, so I should get on with them. But you have to search quite hard. The average quality of Chinese lit fic is not all it could be, and don't get me started on the genre stuff.
Anyway, enough of the bitching. There's always good writing if you look hard enough. It's just a question of investing the time and effort.
Collapse

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: I read for recreation in...

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »